Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I have searched multiple and various threads and posts on here and have found an adequate amount of useful information concerning my problem, but not an exact duplicate of the problem I am having. My 01 GS 2.4 was getting warm, not cycling coolant. so I did the water pump and timing belt kit on it. the water pump would make the belt squeal LOUD AND BAD before I changed the pump but when I took out the old water pump, the impeller's (propellers) were not shaved down at all, so im wondering if the water pump was even bad to begin with?

Before that, I put in a new thermostat and cleaned out the heater core really good and got that cleaned up. then before I did the water pump and timing belt on my way to work, she was building up pressure (Because that's what its been doing) that's actually part of my question is why its building up pressure so much. when it built up the pressure it blew the housing on the radiator.

So in conclusion, I have a new water pump, timing belt kit, thermostat, radiator, cleaned out heater core and it is STILL NOT releasing the pressure. I drove it home last night after installing the new radiator and this morning, the top radiator hose was collapsed from not letting the pressure release so it pulled the hose into itself.

I was concerned that I had a bad head or head gasket but the oil is not milky and the exhaust is not a cloud of white blue smoke. Furthermore, The lack of pressure release is an indicator to my that the head and head gasket it fine, because if I were to have a crack in the head or the gasket, the car wouldn't be able to collapse the top radiator hose onto itself right? and wouldn't the entire system be lacking pressure?

The only thing left that I think it might be is the radiator cap...Yes that's right. I didn't change the radiator cap first, I did the timing belt kit and water pump and radiator...don't ask why because I don't know. either way, those other things needed to be done anyway cuz it has 170k on it and I wanna sell it. but the radiator cap may be seized shut and not letting the pressure release because this morning when I saw the top radiator hose was collapsed, I release the cap and she popped back up.

Any help would be awesome, other than the radiator cap and pressure testing the coolant system I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AND when I have the car under load, she puts out nice head from the defrosters. but when its idling it blows cold air. ???? heater core is good, thermostat is opening and closing fine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope to god that's it and no the fuckin radiator company "NORTHERN" is a parts supplier to my shop in northern mn and they suck, didn't provide a new cap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I put a new cap one, Its not getting hot but when I pressure tested the system there was no diagram or specifications for how many psi the system should hold pressure at? Does anyone know how many pounds of pressure the cooling system is suppose to stabilize at? and the guy before me fucked with the heater hoses and now I don't know if the right heater hose is going into each side of the core, I don't know if the inlet is actually going into the inlet or if its going reverse into the outlet? If anyone can post a pic of which way they are suppose to go I would appreciate it.

·
Back from Deployment
2,001 Posts
AND...she puts out nice head...
How did you not catch this Jaloosk?

If your system is cooling properly and everything seems to be working, why dig for the PSI, etc? Also it should say on your cap what it's rated for. Otherwise check the link for the FSM at Tearstone's site.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, It's been a couple of weeks now since I changed the water pump and put in the timing kit and new radiator and new cap. it cools nice, doesn't overheat, everything seems to be fine...except when its sitting idling I can smell antifreeze still, like there is a leak dripping onto the hot motor. But when I put it up on the ramps I cant find a leak ANYWHERE. This is beginning to be extremely annoying because the car is performing well, but the smell of antifreeze is pissing me off. no visible leaks anywhere, it cant be leaking through the heater core because the vents don't stink when I have the heat on. It's quite mind bottling

1 - 13 of 13 Posts