Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
So Ive been lurking around reading posts about the overheating on my car being associated with a combo of gaskets, lines, and/or water pump.

Still not finally pinpointing, I had a video showing all of my symptoms including the OBVIOUS head gasket replacement form from 2 years ago.

Yes, it can be very obvious that it is my head gasket but I just want to make sure as id rather not replace the wrong part.

Video link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9GUcpyKZzu7b3RrOWhMZUdLM28/view?usp=docslist_api

Thing I was trying to explain about the intake manifold (mistakenly called it the catalytic converter lol) is the seal for that fell off onto my chest whilst taking it apart to replace my starter. It was old and rusty and broken in half pretty much. I slid it back on and screwed the manifold back on. In the video I see smoke coming straight from that. Could coolant be leaking there or from the head gasket into the manifold? I have no check engine light as well. Last code thrown was a cylinder misfire but disappeared after switching to FS oil. Im at 150k, never changed belts or anything but got the car at 120k. Dont know or trust if the guy before me changed it. Also overheats in idle to the point coolant will boil..

Questions:

1. Is it my headgasket, water pump or intake manifold seal?

2. Could I drive the car to autozone? Its less than a mile away but i get bad smoke out the exhaust.

3. Would a shop need to do this? Was quoted 400 for headgasket replacement "both sides".

4. I hate my life lol.

Thank you guys for helping me out!!q

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Hey guys!
So Ive been lurking around reading posts about the overheating on my car being associated with a combo of gaskets, lines, and/or water pump.

Still not finally pinpointing, I had a video showing all of my symptoms including the OBVIOUS head gasket replacement form from 2 years ago.

Yes, it can be very obvious that it is my head gasket but I just want to make sure as id rather not replace the wrong part.

Video link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9GUcpyKZzu7b3RrOWhMZUdLM28/view?usp=docslist_api

Thing I was trying to explain about the intake manifold (mistakenly called it the catalytic converter lol) is the seal for that fell off onto my chest whilst taking it apart to replace my starter. It was old and rusty and broken in half pretty much. I slid it back on and screwed the manifold back on. In the video I see smoke coming straight from that. Could coolant be leaking there or from the head gasket into the manifold? I have no check engine light as well. Last code thrown was a cylinder misfire but disappeared after switching to FS oil. Im at 150k, never changed belts or anything but got the car at 120k. Dont know or trust if the guy before me changed it. Also overheats in idle to the point coolant will boil..

Questions:

1. Is it my headgasket, water pump or intake manifold seal?

2. Could I drive the car to autozone? Its less than a mile away but i get bad smoke out the exhaust.

3. Would a shop need to do this? Was quoted 400 for headgasket replacement "both sides".

4. I hate my life lol.

Thank you guys for helping me out!!q
1. There is no way in hell your intake manifold gasket is causing this, also you correctly called it a catalytic converter. Your intake manifold is on top of your engine, connected to your throttlebody then air intake. Also if you have a white smoke coming out of your exhaust you can bet its the headgasket.
2. Do not drive the car anywhere. Atleast i wouldnt if it was my car. You would just be causing more damage.
3. In your case, yes. Thats said not to be mean, but to be in your best interest based on this post you have made.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay well in the video around 3-4mins I see smoke coming from the catalytic converter. Is it not leaking from the broken seal that was supposed to be there? If not im guessing what youre saying is that coolant is leaking through the cracks in the head gasket and heating up smoking as it is going into the catalytic converter. There is nothing I can do to help me drive it to the shop? I live in a complex and cant get it towed:(
So basically tl:dr - is it exactly what the paper says. Blown head gasket? fix it and im good?

Edit: I watched a video of the gasket being replaced and it looked easyaf.

Basically took out plugs, bleeders, everything bolted onto the cover. Took the 6 bolts out to remove cover. Degrease the cover and make sure no oil in sparkplug seals (i would replace anyways to be sure). Make sure everything is degreased and shiny and the head gasket is the seal on the bottom of the block cover you want to replace. If its just that and a little more I can do that.

Important edit: Nvm all that. Gonna pay someone. Confusing all of these seals and gaskets. Leaving it to the pros!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Good idea with taking it to a shop. If you can afford it you should also get the water pump and timing belt done while its in there. If not your risking it breaking and ruining your engine.
By ruining the engine i mean slamming your valves into the pistions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea with taking it to a shop. If you can afford it you should also get the water pump and timing belt done while its in there. If not your risking it breaking and ruining your engine.
By ruining the engine i mean slamming your valves into the pistions.
Hey so I want to go about pulling the head out and bringing it to the shop. Ive been searching for 6 hours and cant find ANY guide to replacing the head gasket or even pulling the head out of a 6g72 (dodge or mitsu). Why is it no one has done a teardown guide on the 6g72?? Makes no sense to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts