Registered
2001 Eclipse Spyder GT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YEAR: 2001
SUBMODEL: Stock GT Spyder
TRANSMISSION: Manual
MILES: 172000

PROBLEM: Last Friday I started the car in the evening and started hearing a very loud tick that matches RPMs coming from what sounds like under the intake manifold. Sounds like a diesel engine. About 3-5 times louder than the normal annoying valve tick.

HISTORY: In January, I had a squeal coming from a timing belt pulley and had the belt, all pulleys, water pump and tensioner replaced. Since then I started intermittently getting the infamous P0300 code. Bought the parts for a tune-up to address this.

It started making this noise Friday, so I replaced plugs, wires, valve cover/tubes gaskets, distributor cap and rotor. No change to the sound.

Felt like it was misfiring a bit under constant (around 2K) RPMs @ 40mph. Took it back to repair shop, they got a Crankshaft Position Sensor code. Replaced that today and they said code is gone but still making noise. They don't know what else it is but want to dig in...I'm not willing to spend that kind of money.

WHERE YOU COME IN: Anyone else have this problem before? When I get the car back I'm intending on getting an oil change with some good synthetic, if that doesn't help then maybe replace the distributor (i.e. Camshaft Sensor). I've seen tons of posts with similar issues, but the problems/solutions seem to be all over the place and don't quite fit. Camshaft Sensor seemed to be closest. Any other suggestions or ideas(seafoam, etc)?

Sorry so long, just wanted to be thorough. I'll try to get a video with sound up once I get the car back. Appreciate any and all help!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Is it coming from the evap purge solenoid? Because that would be normal as it purges the vapors from the fuel tank.

I'm pretty sure you already know this, but below your throttle body, to the right of the intake manifold, there is a black cylindrical thing. If you put long screwdriver to it and then put your ear to that and hear the ticking, it's normal.

·
Registered
2001 Eclipse Spyder GT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, but no, that's not it. This sounds similar to the normal valve tick, but a lot louder. Enough that I noticed it and it concerned me immediately. I've owned the car for 9+ years and never heard anything like this before.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Doubt this is it....especially if you had the car for 9 years and never heard it before BUT-

Yoy said it's coming from under the intake. Under the intake is the transmission. Possibly the throwout bearing? Depress the clutch and keep it down - does the sound go away?

·
Registered
2001 Eclipse Spyder GT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, definitely not the TOB. I know that sound unfortunately. This sounds like it's coming from either the cylinders or valves, but most likely valves. I'll try to get a video tonight. Probably going to try Seafoaming it tonight too and see what that gets me.

·
Registered
2001 Eclipse Spyder GT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I got my car back from Goodyear. They replaced the CPS and claimed all codes were gone. I drove it for 5 minutes (still ticking and missing) and the SES came on.

The codes were: P0340 (Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction), P0335 (Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction), and pending P0173 (Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 2)), P0170 (Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1)), and P0340 (Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction).

Makes me wonder if they even test drove it. Anyhow, since the CPS was just replaced, I'm assuming it's the Camshaft Sensor and will be replacing the distributor unless someone has seen this and thinks it's something else. Doing it myself since they are obviously worthless and overcharge.

Please let me know if you agree or have suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 Eclipse Spyder GT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So to follow up for anyone happening on this thread...

I was replacing the distributor, and set the cam for 2-4-6 to the timing mark. This should have put the engine at TDC, but when I pulled the distributor it's spindle was not in the TDC location. So I checked the timing mark for the cam 1-3-5. Sure enough it was about 3 teeth (15-20 degrees) off the mark.

Guess I should have checked the timing first, but unfortunately I trusted the shop when they said it was fine. I took it to them and pointed out there error (not in a too friendly manner) They fixed it for free and gave me back all charges for the Crankshaft Sensor they replaced.

Lessons learned: Loud ticking noise and rough running = possible timing issue. Check it yourself. Also, that you can't ever trust the shop even if the mechanic has 13 years experience. Should have done my timing belt myself.

Thanks to all those who tried to help. It was appreciated. And also thanks a million to everyone who posts here who's information helped me be smarter than the shop and find the real problem! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts