SR20DET Powered..
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Yes, I moved it)

Some backround:
-2001 Eclipse RS 2.4L Automatic
Mods: Performance wise, just a K&N Cold Air Intake and a Megan Racing Muffler

So this is my question:
Would it be worth it to turbo my Eclipse 3g? I've been told that "If I want speed, sell it and get a 3g GT or a 2g GSX."

I don't want to sell it, but is this a true statement?

I'm looking to turbo the eclipse-
1. Transmission Cooler
2. Slap the turbo on the 4gS4
***At this stage, it will give around 300whp, and 10-15 PSI, Correct?

If I get a bigger paycheck:
3. Evo 8 Head swap
4. Cat-Back Exhaust (last and final engine mod)

What would you say about the 3g RS Automatic being slow? And would the Tranny cooler + Turbo really put out around 300whp? I need some advice, please. Thanks.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Alright.....when people are telling you to search and research, they don't mean just to repost the same shit somewhere else.......on a happier note, you posted in the correct section this time! Lemme help you out a little bit, read through these........

http://www.club3g.com/forum/rs-gs/51458-clouds-turbo-project.html
Long but informative.....

http://www.club3g.com/forum/rs-gs/104539-turbo-maft-pro-project.html
This one is probably a good read since you're an auto

http://www.club3g.com/forum/rs-gs/100732-fejerys-turbo-thread.html
Hell, might as well throw mine in here too

http://www.club3g.com/forum/rs-gs/91739-steadlys-turbo-talk.html
Another auto using a different tuning setup

http://www.club3g.com/forum/rs-gs/81227-diy-turbos.html
A nice thread to get an idea of what you'll need

http://www.club3g.com/forum/rs-gs/87687-forced-fed-4g64-check-sign-pics-only.html
Heres a place to look at other peoples FI setups

Just the way you worded some things makes me believe you're not ready for boost, I reccomend you do some serious research before attemping to turbo your car, it's not exactly a simple bolt on mod.....

·
I Deliver Porsches
1,563 Posts
i would also like to point out the dual ecu thing.
you can get the harness for around 60. used.
and the ECU for about 100. used.

and your tuning problems are cured (you of course still want a wideband, ecu flash etc.) but that takes care of the 100%load problem.

The tranny cooler and a turbo KIT/SETUP would get you 300 with a bunch of tuning and money.
you dont just buy a turbo you buy a turbo and "slap" it on... theres a BUNCH of other things you need.

·
SR20DET Powered..
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, what of it being an automatic? I mean, an automatic with 300fwhp? Isn't that kind of stretching it?

Also: For the Turbo, help me out with this list:
Exhaust manifold.
Intake Manifold
Custom DP
Custom Catback
o2 Housing
Turbo
Injectors
SAFC II or Greddy E-Manage
Fuel pump
Front mount intercooler
Blow off valve

Do I need anything else? Is anything not needed?

Also, I was told I could blow my engine by putting it on. I'm waiting until the spring when my garage is put up.. I'll have an engine crane then.

·
SR20DET Powered..
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some guy from the Mitsubishi forums has kept shooting down my plans for the Eclipse.

So if I turbo it, say buy a turbo kit, i'll need a turbo-back exhaust right?

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
wow you have some searching to do imho, and my buddy has 300fwp in his turbo car (not eclipse) and it's fine if it's a decent unit and not a slushbox like the 3g. I prefer his auto turbo to alot of manual turbo's

·
Banned
4,408 Posts
Some guy from the Mitsubishi forums has kept shooting down my plans for the Eclipse.

umm yes you do, If you can afford a tranny swap go for it, I personally do think you can by the way you speak, you have the ricer way of talk.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
wow you have some searching to do imho, and my buddy has 300fwp in his turbo car (not eclipse) and it's fine if it's a decent unit and not a slushbox like the 3g. I prefer his auto turbo to alot of manual turbo's
+1
my friends built at least 2 IS300s with twin turbo supra swaps and they haul ASS!! the last thing youre worried about is the tranny type.

Nomura Tuning and Design
Tracy, Ca
In case i get a bullshit flag. lol

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

There have been many so called "technicians" ive dealt with a the stealership that are slueless most of the time at what theyre talkin about. There are some pros always. Id suggests learning from the ones on here and the mistakes people have made as well.:ugh2:If youre gonna let ppl talk you out of want YOU wanna do then you might as well quit. Matter of fact dont try anything out of the norm because there are always naysayers. Tkae your time and learn what youre up against, and DO IT:twothumb:

·
Registered
339 Posts
If youre gonna let ppl talk you out of want YOU wanna do then you might as well quit. Matter of fact dont try anything out of the norm because there are always naysayers. Tkae your time and learn what youre up against, and DO IT:twothumb:
+1

The majority of people on this site would tell you to sell the eclipse and get a 350z :hahano:

·
Lift and Separate
2,259 Posts
my friends built at least 2 IS300s with twin turbo supra swaps and they haul ASS!!
:bsflag:

:)

If youre gonna let ppl talk you out of want YOU wanna do then you might as well quit. Matter of fact dont try anything out of the norm because there are always naysayers. Tkae your time and learn what youre up against, and DO IT:twothumb:
+2

The majority of people on this site would tell you to sell the eclipse and get a 350z :hahano:
Or 3G GT's, apparently :lmfao:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
back on topic though
Well, what of it being an automatic? I mean, an automatic with 300fwhp? Isn't that kind of stretching it?

Also: For the Turbo, help me out with this list:
Exhaust manifold.
Intake Manifold
Custom DP
Custom Catback
o2 Housing
Turbo
Injectors
SAFC II or Greddy E-Manage
Fuel pump
Front mount intercooler
Blow off valve

Do I need anything else? Is anything not needed?

Also, I was told I could blow my engine by putting it on. I'm waiting until the spring when my garage is put up.. I'll have an engine crane then.
you should start researching the spacer issue. depending on the type of manifold you come up with. but most end up dealing with a spacer of some sort and having to extend the studs. You should start your research there

1 - 19 of 19 Posts