Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got out of the military and sold my 300ZX project for a 2002 Spyder GT that needed a little work but was overall newer and more reliable once fixed. A little history. The car was sitting at a 4x4 shop for a year broke down. Electrical issues they couldn't figure out. So I bought the car for 2400 and puttered her home. My buddies and I spent the weekend got her running and fixed most of the issues. The lingering problem I cannot figure out so I paid 75 bucks to a Mitsu mechanic for a diagnostic. After 2 weeks I finally get my car back and he tells me to start with the wiring harness. However with the issues the ECU sounds far more likely....?

Issues: Runs and drive mostly fine Neutral light blinks no power in first gear. Speedo does not work and tachometer works only is the seat belt is unplugged. Once you plug the seat belt in the tachometer shorts outs and dies.

Since these seems to be all different things but tied together I was thinking ECU but he says wiring harness because it seems to have been water damaged but without history we don't know.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I spent 14 years in the navy as a metal smith. Mechanics are easy for me...wires not so much. Thanks for any help 3G lovers. I'm trying to make this car a nice clean daily driver. I've got it looking right mostly and fixed up just need this ironed out.

·
Fossilized Member
1,206 Posts
there's more than one computer module in these cars. They communicate over a closed circuit network. It takes very specialized equipment to diagnose computer comm issues. It sounds like more than one problem to me. I do most all of my own mechanical work, but if my car starting acting like this, I'd just take it over to the dealership and let them fix it. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: All the issues seem to share the common <F>2B ground and we know something is shorting bc the seatbelt shorts out the tach. Does anyone know where this ground is located in the car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sigh still nothing found to be the issue. Vehicle speed sensor reads good voltage grounds check ok. Car has all 4 gears on start but after about 50 to 100 ft the neutral light will blink and I only have 2nd and 3rd gear. Could the speed sensor <input> still be bad causing this even with good voltage? Does this help anyone narrow anything down. I need my car lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts