Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of buying a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 3.0 V6 convertible 5 spd from my father, who owns a used car dealership. The first time I drove it, It drove great, and there were no probelms that I could tell. I drove it for around 45 minutes no problem. On the way home, I put about 3 gallons of 87 gas in the car, because I didn't know it required premium gas. On the way home, the car died, we got it towed to a mechanic, and it needed its fuel pump replaced. Before it died, whenever I drove the car, most of the time the car SHOOK whenever I was giving it gas. Like violent shaking. After I got the fuel pump replaced, the mechanic put in about 8 gallons of 87 gas. This point I realized the car needs premium gas, so I put in about 5 gallons of 93. After more research some recommended I put in octane boost to bring up the gas to more premium standards. So I put in a whole bottle of Lucas Octane Boost. After that, it was driving alot better for about 15 minutes, no more shaking, but then it started again. A little better, but still very bad. Is the shake caused by using the 87 gas in the premium tuned engine? Or is there another underlying problem the mechanic didn't catch?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
first step is run all that gas down and fill it with 93. Then see what happens, do you have and Check engine light codes?
Would siphoning all the gas out make a difference? it has like 75% fuel left, which could take a long time, especially with the shaking.
And After I scanned it, it comes up with 2 codes. P0101 pd, and P0107pd. Can these be causing the problem? I also have an EGR sensor monitor on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's your mass air flow sensor and map sensor. See if there plugged in. Don't clean the mass air flow as your mechanic probably did and broke it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
It seems like the mass air flow sensor wasn't pushed in all the way. I plugged it in fully, and the P0101 code went away.But I still have the P0107 code

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cleaned out the MAF and MAP sensor, and the P0107 code came off. So That doesn't seem to be a problem. I talked to a mechanic buddy of mine, and he said that the 87 gas in a premium rated engine definitely would cause the whole car to surge like it is. He recommended that I seafoam it so it will clean out the fuel injectors and get all the crap ethanol out.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I doubt it's the octane rating. Bad gas - yes. But blaming this on 87 octane gas - no

If the car is knocking on 87 gas and the timing is retarded to protect itself, there will be a slight drop in power. But surging and jerking ? Maybe if it was boosted but I never seen that on an N/A platform .... I'd keep looking as well as stsrt using the recommended gas type

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.