Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well My engine now has chunks of bearings in the oil pan so I've decided that the 4G64 cannot handle boost efficiently,

the 4G63T from the newer evos will bolt in our cars, that's been proven, I just want to swap the engine/ I came across a 03 evo engine at an awesome price so I want to know the following:

1. will the engine bolt up to my transmission and motor mounts?
2. what should I do about sensors? I don't have access to a evo 8 wiring harness
3.will the clutch bolt up to the flywheel?
4. are there many hoses that need to be re-routed?

I know there wa a thread somewhere about doing this but I cannot find it, it would answer some of my questions if someone could post a link, thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
well My engine now has chunks of bearings in the oil pan so I've decided that the 4G64 cannot handle boost efficiently,

With the amount of people that have successfully boosted the 4G64, I'd be willing to bet it wasn't the engine's fault, but rather a poor tune or OE...

the 4G63T from the newer evos will bolt in our cars, that's been proven, I just want to swap the engine/ I came across a 03 evo engine at an awesome price so I want to know the following:

2. what should I do about sensors? I don't have access to a evo 8 wiring harness

I thought you said it's been proven, but now you're asking if it will bolt up...so which is it, you know it's been proven, or you don't...:scratch:

I know there wa a thread somewhere about doing this but I cannot find it, it would answer some of my questions if someone could post a link, thanks,
Randy
Not to sound like I'm getting on your case, but if you're unsure about how to handle or figure out some of those basic issues, do you really think you need to be taking on a task such as this...it just doesn't sound like you're very confident in your abilities...:ugh2:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
here's my skills and abilities, a complete turbo swap on an '01 eclipse

http://www.club3g.com/forum/rs-gs/84408-another-3g-4g64-turbo-conversion.html#post2218500

and a turbo engine swap in a non turbo 93 laser

My turbo experience, Turboing my 93 Laser RS - DSM Forums

I have done plenty with these turbo engines, I have no experience with the evo engines and their comparison to the 4g64, I like to research before I attempt such a conversion.

the tuning was done on a dyno from a reputable company, the engine I used was a 4g64 from a newer stratus with 30k miles, after I had a shop remake the downpipe the disconnected the vacuum/boost source from the wastegate unintentionally and it boosted higher then the tune allowed to around 14-16 psi, I took off the oilpan and I saw chunks of bearings and metal shavings.

just because someone has put an evo motor in doesn't mean everything bolted up right and that they didn't have to modify anything, they could've had to reweld the motor mounts in a different area or change the flywheel to the ecliopse one, rather then criticize my questions y not help me out and throw some answers or suggestions out?

·
Registered
629 Posts
If your engine blew only because of a vaccum/boost source, why not just rebuild and do a DOHC swap.....I figure that would be a more cost efficent solution to your problem

·
GT35 DOHC 500wHp
533 Posts
Evo short block is the same as 3g 4g64 other than it is few millimeters shorter.
there is only one motor mount on the block if you familiar with it.
And eclipse tranny and clutch bolts without any modification to evo block.
You will have to extend couple of wires and few other simple modes if you plan on using evo head. It is really easy project maybe 7 hours for average guy with minimal mechanical knowledge.

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
Why dont you just rebuild the block and just do head swap and then you will have a stroked evo motor.. 4G64 block is better then the evo block.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
because my friend wrecked his 06 evo mr and I told him I'd buy his engine from him for 1300 and he said ok :)

·
Lift and Separate
2,259 Posts
Exceptional conclusion. :rofl: Did you also know that no motor (don't single out the 4G64) can handle oil leaks or a bad tune "efficiently"? I wouldn't be surprised if your eBay turbo is the reason you spun your rod bearings, not the "boost" itself.

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
Evo short block is the same as 3g 4g64 other than it is few millimeters shorter.
there is only one motor mount on the block if you familiar with it.
And eclipse tranny and clutch bolts without any modification to evo block.
You will have to extend couple of wires and few other simple modes if you plan on using evo head. It is really easy project maybe 7 hours for average guy with minimal mechanical knowledge.

the clutch will ONLY bolt up if you swap the 4g64 flywheel to the evo crank. the evo flywheel is NOT meant to bolt up with a 3g clutch. so you would need to swap the 3g flywheel to the evo crank, then bolt a clutch that can handle ~300lb/ft of torque. something like an ACT clutch.

i really think you should do this swap then bolting an evo head to a 4g64 block. the evo head mated with the 4g64 block isn't an easy swap that people make it seem to be. you have to do a shitload of little things that end up costing you MORE then a straight 4g63t swap. the only reason to do a hybrid is if youre trying to build a stroker.

Reactions: DAve3GEclipse

·
OMFG... Erf.....
1,741 Posts

Randy
didn't u say u came across an 03Evo8?? how come your g ur gonna buy ur friends evo9 mivec?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
here's my skills and abilities, a complete turbo swap on an '01 eclipse

http://www.club3g.com/forum/rs-gs/84408-another-3g-4g64-turbo-conversion.html#post2218500

and a turbo engine swap in a non turbo 93 laser

My turbo experience, Turboing my 93 Laser RS - DSM Forums

I have done plenty with these turbo engines,
Installing a turbo system is not the same as swapping an engine...just because you can do one doesn't mean you can do the other, so this is not justification that you have the mechanical ability to do the swap.

I have no experience with the evo engines and their comparison to the 4g64, I like to research before I attempt such a conversion.
Your words, not mine...

the tuning was done on a dyno from a reputable company, the engine I used was a 4g64 from a newer stratus with 30k miles, after I had a shop remake the downpipe the disconnected the vacuum/boost source from the wastegate unintentionally and it boosted higher then the tune allowed to around 14-16 psi, I took off the oilpan and I saw chunks of bearings and metal shavings.
This highlights two things...first, you had someone else do some of the work for you, which lends even less credit to your mechanical abilities (in other words, your two examples of your turbo swaps don't hold as much weight since you didn't do all the work yourself)...second, if you look up at my last post I listed "OE" as a possible cause, which stands for Operator Error...it's your car and you didn't verify that it was in a proper running configuration...you ruined your engine, the engine isn't to blame...

just because someone has put an evo motor in doesn't mean everything bolted up right and that they didn't have to modify anything, they could've had to reweld the motor mounts in a different area or change the flywheel to the ecliopse one, rather then criticize my questions y not help me out and throw some answers or suggestions out?
I didn't say everything bolted right up...YOU DID! (scroll up if you don't belive me). The information you're listing as possible modifications that had to be made, as well as quite a few other aspects, are all issues that someone should be able to figure out on their own if they are going to attempt something like this...if you can't figure out how to tell if your motor mounts will line up, do you really think you should be doing the swap?

Additionally, it looks like you didn't even realize that your friend has a MIVEC engine...even more reason for you not to do this...unless you understand how the hydraulic and electrical systems of that engine work, you'd be wasting money and time trying to get by without figuring it out.

I'm not trying to bash you or anything like that...I'm trying to give you some advice to keep you from making a mistake. Think of it as two friends going out to a bar and one of them is too drunk to realize he's hitting on the fat girl...if his friend was truly a friend, he'd rather try and get the guy away from the beached whale than make fun of him tomorrow for what he did tonight...:rofl:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
i could see zeeshan or napalm pullin this shit off but i think youre goin way out of bounds on this one. If youre gonna drop all that cash on this swap, why not just do the head swap with a rebuild motor. These guys do makes some strong points and youre leavin your self to critizism due to the errors youve made so far. Your search for power is gonna break you on this project....:dunno:

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
the clutch will ONLY bolt up if you swap the 4g64 flywheel to the evo crank. the evo flywheel is NOT meant to bolt up with a 3g clutch. so you would need to swap the 3g flywheel to the evo crank, then bolt a clutch that can handle ~300lb/ft of torque. something like an ACT clutch.

i really think you should do this swap then bolting an evo head to a 4g64 block. the evo head mated with the 4g64 block isn't an easy swap that people make it seem to be. you have to do a shitload of little things that end up costing you MORE then a straight 4g63t swap. the only reason to do a hybrid is if youre trying to build a stroker.

I agree, the swap would be overall easier than doing the full build with 4g64/DOHC.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
these motors are damn tough. i dont think you just stumbled upon a wacked 4g64. i agree that it was an operators error as kidney bean said.

what did you have them tune anyways? just a flash? unless you used an evo rom you should not and i mean should NOT use just an ecu flash on base rom's for fi. that isnt very smart.

these motors have been proven to make 350-400whp in their STOCK FORM. thats also with a good tune. the turbocharger from ebay, or the tune was the problem. not the bottom end.

the end.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
and i just remembered, didnt you rev the living piss out of it UNTUNED? call me dumb, but still revving the motor up from park still isnt healthy on an untuned motor?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
f*** it, I'm done with this thread, I'll try the swap and let u know how it goes, I got the answers I needed.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts