Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking around the site on and off since 2006, never needed to make an account until now. I'm on my 3rd 3G eclipse now, and I need some info that I can't seem to find.

A few months ago I bought an 03 gts 5 speed that had a blown engine. Full intent on doing a 3.8 mivec swap on it, but plans have changed due to lack of funds.

Right now all I think I can afford is either a replacement gts engine, or a gt engine. However in my area I can't locate a gts engine that is in my budget.

My questions-
If I put the engine from a gt into my gts, will the difference in compression ratios cause problems ?
Would the difference in the cams cause problems?
Would the install of my gts upper intake manifold be plug and play since my car was originally a gts?

Would it be easier to put in the gt engine along with a gt ecu, rather than get it tuned?

Any ideas or things I've missed feel free to throw in your $ 0.02 .

·
V8 > 3G
2,712 Posts
Any of the 6G7X motors are basically a direct swap. If you go with any other motor other than one from a GTS you're going to need to have it tuned.

car-parts.com

Finding a motor should be fairly easy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
6g74 would be your best bang for buck. Plus once you get some more money down the line you can just transfer the 74 parts to the mivec engine.

·
TxTuning.com
6,810 Posts
Hey Dead_Pool. Since we're going to be tuning it anyways, I also recommend the 3.5L swap if the mivec motor is out of the budget. Or even the 3.8L nonmivec if that's not pushing it too much. Car-Part is a good source also. Either way, we've tuned it and are ready for you once the install is finished.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't even think about the 6g74 until you mentioned it! I found one from an 02 diamante with 78k miles on it, and it will arrive Thursday . Codeman, I'll send you a pm with what I'm going to need you guys to tune it for.

·
TxTuning.com
6,810 Posts
I didn't even think about the 6g74 until you mentioned it! I found one from an 02 diamante with 78k miles on it, and it will arrive Thursday . Codeman, I'll send you a pm with what I'm going to need you guys to tune it for.
Good choice, we've gotcha covered! :yesway:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any of the 6G7X motors are basically a direct swap. If you go with any other motor other than one from a GTS you're going to need to have it tuned.

car-parts.com

Finding a motor should be fairly easy.
What about taking a salvage GTS motor with an A/T and installing said motor to a M/T? I've heard that the crank balance for GTS is different depending on A/T or M/T. What would the repercussions be if any? And would it need to be tuned or ECU changed even though its still a GTS?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I know this thread is ancient but, need some help here. I need an engine for my 03' GTS. No, I don't want to do a 74 swap. This car will be a daily driver. I know these engines are getting up in age so the chances of finding a low mileage used motor is slim. I have called several places and stressed I need a GTS 3.0 and they all try to sell me an engine them not knowing if it is an GTS engine. Does anyone know where to confidently buy a remanu. GTS engine? I would settle for a low mileage used one of the price was right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you ever find an engine? I'm looking to do the samething. I've been a member here for a while but I cannot get into my old account and the forgot password never sends the email lol!

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,982 Posts
Why not take the current engine to a machine shop? Refresh the heads and the block should be cost effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why not take the current engine to a machine shop? Refresh the heads and the block should be cost effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honestly, I could probably do that but with ending having 230k+ on it and the lifters going bad. I thought I’d come out cheaper swapping in a lower mile engine. Don’t know manY good shops in my area for the job. I live in a townhouse and have limited time. I’m just looking to use it as my daily driver again

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,982 Posts
Honestly, I could probably do that but with ending having 230k+ on it and the lifters going bad. I thought I’d come out cheaper swapping in a lower mile engine. Don’t know manY good shops in my area for the job. I live in a townhouse and have limited time. I’m just looking to use it as my daily driver again
Does your engine smoke or burn oil? A compression test will give you a good idea of the health of your engine and if you actually need to change out the bottom end. Changing out the lifters is not that difficult either. If the only symptom is lifter tick, start there.

Any junkyard engine I wouldn't trust either. Just don't know what you're getting and you'd have to do a refresh on it anyways. One option you may consider is see if you can find a cheap eclipse GTS for sale and pull that motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does your engine smoke or burn oil? A compression test will give you a good idea of the health of your engine and if you actually need to change out the bottom end. Changing out the lifters is not that difficult either. If the only symptom is lifter tick, start there.

Any junkyard engine I wouldn't trust either. Just don't know what you're getting and you'd have to do a refresh on it anyways. One option you may consider is see if you can find a cheap eclipse GTS for sale and pull that motor.
Yeah it does along leak oil and runs hot sometimes as well. But they could be something else

·
1,085 Posts
Yeah it does along leak oil and runs hot sometimes as well. But they could be something else
These problems don't sound serious enough to swap a whole engine. Just fix the cooling and oil leak issue and keep driving the old engine. If it was well-maintained, it'll keep going for a while. My car almost got to 300k and it wasn't the engine that stopped it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
These problems don't sound serious enough to swap a whole engine. Just fix the cooling and oil leak issue and keep driving the old engine. If it was well-maintained, it'll keep going for a while. My car almost got to 300k and it wasn't the engine that stopped it.
i can’t remember if had already mentioned the lifters are gone as well. They are very loud when i was at a local shop they were saying the engine needed to be rebuilt or swapped. SoI was just seeing what the best way to go would be. Still searching for a great shops mechanic in Nc.

·
V8 > 3G
2,712 Posts
It's easier on these cars to just swap engines than repair a damaged one (cheaper too). I couldn't even sell a perfect running engine a few years ago for $200. After just looking a little there's a pile of them for sale around me. Go to car-part.com and buy one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's easier on these cars to just swap engines than repair a damaged one (cheaper too). I couldn't even sell a perfect running engine a few years ago for $200. After just looking a little there's a pile of them for sale around me. Go to car-part.com and buy one.
Thanks man! I followed your build a long time ago. I got locked out of my old account. I’m familiar you on the forum. Wish i knew locals in nc that we’re familiar with this platform.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts