Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Washed out my filthy engine bay yesterday. Started it this morning and the SES light popped up. Took it to autozone and it came up with the above listed codes. I have read my manual and at least 6 posts on similar codes/issues. All my car has is a stumble at low RPM, starts up every time. It also has an itemittent series of clicks near the intake manifold. They seem to be random (ign @ on) and there are a series of them. They sound like a short but I cant see where. I just got the car so IDK if the distributor matches up with the engine, so may need a ROM flash. I just dont know where to start.

In short, what are the troubleshooting steps on this?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@ Fast GT; negative, I had it off and cold before spraying it. Looks like it got into the canshaft relay and shorted pin 6 and 7.

Ok, so I checks Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors for power. Both were ok. Camshaft connector had water built up between pin 6 (12 VDC) and 7 (ground). You can guess that might be a problem. Here's what I did.

Above is the Camshaft Position Sensor terminal. I pullled my intake to get better access.

Pull the connector. The female closest to you is pin 7, the one ahead of that is power. I had a puddle of water between the two. Blow the water out with WD40.

Use a paperclip or whatever you can to get into here. Should have 12ish VDC.

NEXT THE CRANKSHAFT POSITIONING SENSOR

This is the terminal. The bottom right is power, 12 VDC. I slid a paper clip through the back to get the voltage.

Another view.

So after cleaning the water out of the Camshaft terminal I unplugged the battery and cleared the code. I have driven about 3 miled, ran high and low rev. The SES light hasn't popped back on yet, but it is still stumbling. I am thinking that the stumble and low power are a secondary issue. Any ideas where to go from here? Btw if I messed up, please let me know so I dont have bad info up.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Idk but you definitely got water somewhere, next time you wash your engine LEAVE IT RUNNING oh and good luck ps. Check in your dist. Cap

Sent from my N860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Drove Pearl around today. The computer seems to have figured out what to do and I haven't had any stumbles. Power still seems low, and I have seen that the timing belt slipping a tooth will often throw those codes.

·
54,401 Posts
don't wash engines with water under pressure, this is what happens. Starting fluid is BRILLIANT for drying out electrical connections, just dry it with some 'canned air' after use.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had 8 other cars and never had a problem like this except in my 64 F100 (ford distributors apparently sucked.) In the future I will have to find a low pressure alternative for Pearl. Thanks for the advise.

I like that drying solution, I will have to give that a try in the future (hopefully I wont need to take care of this issue again.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts