Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so, I'm looking at picking up this 2004 black/black leather eclipse GTS with approx 25k miles on it. I was salvaged due to a front end collision, but 100% "easily" repairable. After being rebuit, how much do you think it would be worth, or rather, how much would I be able to sell it for?

I'm asking only because I want to know how much I should be spending on the car itself before I go putting money into it to repair it :) I just want to make sure I'm not going to lose my shirt when I sell this car!!

(btw, it's near IMMACULATE inside and out... minus the damage of course lol)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I'd say it'd be fair to ask for some pictures of the car itself. I mean, a front end colission could be just a fender bender, possibly hood gone. Or, Engine damage, radiator damge, headlights gone, windshield, possible body daamge, bent frame, wheels ruined, airbags needing to be replaced, fascia needing to be replaced. Etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'd say it'd be fair to ask for some pictures of the car itself. I mean, a front end colission could be just a fender bender, possibly hood gone. Or, Engine damage, radiator damge, headlights gone, windshield, possible body daamge, bent frame, wheels ruined, airbags needing to be replaced, fascia needing to be replaced. Etc.
front bumper, headlight, hood, fender, foglight, both airbags, one front suspension and wheel/tire

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
front bumper, headlight, hood, fender, foglight, both airbags
Well let's see. if you purchase these all OEM, it's going to run you a fortune. I'd try going through Car-part.com and get all the parts you can, you're also going to need the car repainted with a nice 1,000 paint job. Depending on how much you are purchasing this for, i'm sure it'd be a good idea. I wish I had a car auto salvage license so I could go to the police auctions and re-sell the cars there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well let's see. if you purchase these all OEM, it's going to run you a fortune. I'd try going through Car-part.com and get all the parts you can, you're also going to need the car repainted with a nice 1,000 paint job. Depending on how much you are purchasing this for, i'm sure it'd be a good idea. I wish I had a car auto salvage license so I could go to the police auctions and re-sell the cars there.
How much will a rebuilt car like that sell for? all professionally fixed, with a rebuilt title?

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
How much will a rebuilt car like that sell for? all professionally fixed, with a rebuilt title?
Half of the KBB value. Honestly Id say youd probably get about $6K probably $8K tops for it. The salvage/rebuilt title really kills the cars value because they never drive the same. The cost of rebuilding it professionally isnt going to help its just going to rape you in the ass and could end up having you lose money on the car. The airbags alone are going to cost a arm and a leg if you get it done professionally. Honestly if the car was in good condition and repairable I would think about purchasing it and fixing it myself. But I would only pay $2-3K tops because it SEEMS to be in "immaculate" but the frame could be off, suspension could be fubered, etc.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
My points exactly, it's a gamble really. If this we're going to be my own car, i'd definately take a shot at it, but purchasing just to re-sell it? That's really iffy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Half of the KBB value. Honestly Id say youd probably get about $6K probably $8K tops for it. The salvage/rebuilt title really kills the cars value because they never drive the same. The cost of rebuilding it professionally isnt going to help its just going to rape you in the ass and could end up having you lose money on the car. The airbags alone are going to cost a arm and a leg if you get it done professionally. Honestly if the car was in good condition and repairable I would think about purchasing it and fixing it myself. But I would only pay $2-3K tops because it SEEMS to be in "immaculate" but the frame could be off, suspension could be fubered, etc.
front passenger frame was slightly tweaked, easily pulled out. front passenger suspension was cocked, so that needed to be replaced, probably axel, strut, and whatever else is in that corner :)

I passed on the car, actually. I could have had it fixed for about 2k after parts, labor and paint, but, the price of the car went up, and there was someone else bidding who seemed to not really care what price he got it for, just that he won the auction :( So I let it go. I'm actually quite annoyed. It was a gorgeous car, and would have been AWESOME once it was finished. *oh well* win some, you lose some. There will be another :)

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
front passenger frame was slightly tweaked, easily pulled out. front passenger suspension was cocked, so that needed to be replaced, probably axel, strut, and whatever else is in that corner :)

I passed on the car, actually. I could have had it fixed for about 2k after parts, labor and paint, but, the price of the car went up, and there was someone else bidding who seemed to not really care what price he got it for, just that he won the auction :( So I let it go. I'm actually quite annoyed. It was a gorgeous car, and would have been AWESOME once it was finished. *oh well* win some, you lose some. There will be another :)
Just go out and buy a clean car with some miles on it. I would rather have a high mileage car thats never been hit over a low mileage salvage/rebuilt car anyday.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Many good points already posted. Just wanted to add that a fender bender isn't going to result in a salvage title. It had to take a REAL hit in order to be totalled or salvaged (thats my understanding anyway). Avoid salvage titles at all costs unless you plan to do all the work yourself. And don't be dissappointed when you discover it pulls a little to the left or right after all is said and done.

The fact that the suspension was "tweaked" makes me think that not only is the suspension itself bad but the top area where the strut bolts to (part of the unibody/frame) was killed as well. And who know what else got twisted or tweaked due to that. I think you are lucky to have lost the auction :yesway: Although I have to wonder if the seller was trying to bump up his own selling price. Its hard to believe that someone would be aggressive when it comes to purchasing a salvaged 3G. No way I would spend more than $2K for something like that.... and thats assuming I was just going to part it out. I'd never repair and drive one due to possible safety and driveability issues.

Just like TSI27 states, I would take a high mileage car over a salvage title anyday of the week. Drop in a new/er motor, struts and clutch and it should be just like turning the clock back on that car's life. You could do the same to the salvaged car and it still be "off" and pull to the side or feel like its on ice skates.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Just like TSI27 states, I would take a high mileage car over a salvage title anyday of the week. Drop in a new/er motor, struts and clutch and it should be just like turning the clock back on that car's life. You could do the same to the salvaged car and it still be "off" and pull to the side or feel like its on ice skates.
:twothumb:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many good points already posted. Just wanted to add that a fender bender isn't going to result in a salvage title. It had to take a REAL hit in order to be totalled or salvaged (thats my understanding anyway). Avoid salvage titles at all costs unless you plan to do all the work yourself. And don't be dissappointed when you discover it pulls a little to the left or right after all is said and done.

The fact that the suspension was "tweaked" makes me think that not only is the suspension itself bad but the top area where the strut bolts to (part of the unibody/frame) was killed as well. And who know what else got twisted or tweaked due to that. I think you are lucky to have lost the auction :yesway: Although I have to wonder if the seller was trying to bump up his own selling price. Its hard to believe that someone would be aggressive when it comes to purchasing a salvaged 3G. No way I would spend more than $2K for something like that.... and thats assuming I was just going to part it out. I'd never repair and drive one due to possible safety and driveability issues.

I have a shop here, and it's nothing for us to fix something like that back to new. We've sold quite a few cars that were previously salvaged due to damage like that, all had perfect allignments after being fixed, no issues at all. And it costs me next to nothing to have it fixed. I'd have been in the car under 4k total (including the car itself), after parts, labor, paint, etc.

I do this for a living :) Although I usually don't pick up newer eclipses, but if the price was right, I was going to jump on it.

The car went for 2k... that's a bit more than I was willing to spend on it. Another dealer bought it, probably with access to the same things as I do, was willing to spend more.

When you know how to fix a problem, and what exactly is involved with fixing frame damage (especially damage like this car had that is extremely easy to fix), it really doesn't phase you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just go out and buy a clean car with some miles on it. I would rather have a high mileage car thats never been hit over a low mileage salvage/rebuilt car anyday.
I don't make money on buying high mileage cars and trying to sell them :)

If you're ever in my area, let me know. If I have any previously salvaged cars that we've fixed (that had frame/suspension damage), you can drive one, then drive another car, and I won't tell you which one was damaged, and you can let me know if you notice much difference :)

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
I don't make money on buying high mileage cars and trying to sell them :)

If you're ever in my area, let me know. If I have any previously salvaged cars that we've fixed (that had frame/suspension damage), you can drive one, then drive another car, and I won't tell you which one was damaged, and you can let me know if you notice much difference :)
Ok so you signed up on this site to find out how to fix a salvaged 3G and then rip someone off by selling it to them? You obviously dont care about the 3G, you only want to make a quick buck. No matter what you do a repaired unibody will never be a perfect unibody unless you replace the whole thing. Go get 2 cars, your salvaged car and a unmolested car. Let someone drive it. Then tell them yours has had a salvage title and tell me which car they buy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok so you signed up on this site to find out how to fix a salvaged 3G and then rip someone off by selling it to them? You obviously dont care about the 3G, you only want to make a quick buck. No matter what you do a repaired unibody will never be a perfect unibody unless you replace the whole thing. Go get 2 cars, your salvaged car and a unmolested car. Let someone drive it. Then tell them yours has had a salvage title and tell me which car they buy.
I didn't come here to ask how to fix it. I actually came here to sell another 3g that I had over a year ago.

I posted up looking for parts to repair the car, seeing how much it would run me just to replace with used parts. and happened to find a local guy with exactly what I needed who was very helpful. And asked how much you guys would think it'd be worth all fixed up... WITH A REBUILT TITLE!!!

How did you come up with me trying to rip someone off? People are free to make their own decisions when buying a car, and I never tried to hide the fact that this car was considered totalled by the insurance company.

I've fixed a number of salvaged cars, and sold countless rebuilt cars as well, all of which drove just as well as ANY car that I've sold with a clean title history.

Please don't try to tell me that salvaged cars are less reliable and less safe than clean history cars. Yes, there are cars that should be left for scrap, and I wouldn't touch those with a 10 foot pole and someone else's wallet. Insurance companies total cars for any NUMBER of reasons, and due to a variety of different types of crashes, which don't ALWAYS result in irrepairable damage.

As I said before, you come to my shop, test drive my cars, and you try to figure out which ones were salvaged due to wrecks.

As for me caring about the 3g... it's irrelevant. I'm not here to advance your platform, or make new life-long friends, I'm here to ask about fixing a car to bring it back to road-worthyness, which, correct me if I'm wrong, that's what this forum is intended for... information relating to the 3g eclipse.

If I had 2 choices in front of me, I'd pick the clear title, assuming it was comparable to the other car in every other aspect. I've never shyed away from a salvage title car if the deal was right and fixed properly... but then again, I probably have quite a bit more experience with cars than you, and know what I'm looking at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if its 04 and salvage it wasnt any easy repair...the newer the car, the more it cost to fix.. and it takes 75% worth of damage to total a car...

example... if that GTS was worth 20,000... then it wrecked and did 15,000 worth of damage... 15000 dollars wirth of damage dont sound like a easy fix

·
Registered
232 Posts
It will be a good repair and worth driving, but as soon as you try to sell the car and if that person carfaxes the history.. price goes down or you wont be able to sell.. happened to me on an 07 cobalt :( i wed 6gs on it and it was only worth 3. traded it in of course.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if its 04 and salvage it wasnt any easy repair...the newer the car, the more it cost to fix.. and it takes 75% worth of damage to total a car...

example... if that GTS was worth 20,000... then it wrecked and did 15,000 worth of damage... 15000 dollars wirth of damage dont sound like a easy fix
That's through a dealer quote, most of the times.

I passed on the car, it went for more than I was willing to spend. I am keeping my eye out for another one :) That black on black GTS was pretty damn sweet looking :twothumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts