Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
V8 > 3G
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the fence whether to go with LED or ordinary amber bulbs for my new clear front turns. If i were to go with the LEDs i see there's quite a vast variety of different shapes and sizes. I've read that some don't fit into the socket on the turn signal housing so that's my main reasoning for the questions.

Anyone running Amber 1157 LEDs that can link me to the ones they used?

Also if i get LEDs im going to need a resistor of some sort so can someone also link me to a proper resistor to operate the LEDs?

Alright so my last question is what kind of light output difference would an LED give me over a 12v amber bulb?

·
Um... Yeah!?
32,055 Posts
I believe most of his questions are regarding the LED bulbs, so most of your replies do not apply.

Many sites that sell amber LED replacement bulbs for 1157s have the dimensions listed, specifically for the fitment issue. I would suggest that you measure your corner lights to make sure that whatever LED replacement you're thinking of can fit through the hole.

For LED replacements in the turn signals, I would suggest you get as wide an angle as possible, as the housing makes use of reflectors, so a focused beam isn't very helpful. Something like this or this should work well.

Most sites that sell LED replacement bulbs for cars should also have resister kits available, specifically to prevent the "bulb-out" quick flash you'd get on most cars. For instance, on the same site I've linked the LED bulbs, they have a section for these.

As for the output difference, it depends on the replacement bulb you buy. LED bulbs tend to have a focused beam, unless specifically designed otherwise (like the ones I linked above). The second pair I linked should have the brightest output.

Reactions: skinnyGT

·
V8 > 3G
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey glenn thanks alot for your input. i didnt get any responses on LEDs before you posted so i grabbed a $2 pair of amber bulbs at walmart. im very pleased with the outcome though

·
Um... Yeah!?
32,055 Posts
No prob. I still use regular amber bulbs, as well. Just couldn't justify the cost of not only buying the LED bulbs, but also the load resister kits. (Around $36 total.)

The amber bulbs do have a tendency to peel and become yellowish-white after a while, though. But even so, I'd replace them maybe three-four times max in the lifetime of my car. Still much cheaper than what's needed for LEDs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts