Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok a group of us guys were at our normal hang out place at an old Wal-Mart. It's about 12 cars a mix of tuners and muscle cars. I had just gotten my 2003 Eclipse GTS, and we were all trying to decide what would be a best first race. Well before I had had a 91' CAmaro rs and one of my buddy's had one so we decided to run them and see how it went.
He's running a 305 with a projection set up, and 5 spd, so I figured I might have trouble, but still put 50 on it, and our crews drove out to the country were we race.
He and I lined up, and waited for a friend tod drop his arms. It had been a while since I had actually launched a manuel so I was holding at 2,500 rpms. Doug dropped him arms and we launched. The camaro yanked me off the line and was about a half a car length in front of me. By second he had pulled ahead about a car. Before I hit third though I had caught him and passed him before fourth. I beat him by about 2 cars.
He said he missed fifth gear...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah lol trust i know my 91' was a 305. It's the worst thing Chevy has ever made. But It's and EFI setup by Holly. It's nice, basically it's a intake manifold, bigger intake manifold, and comes with the rest of the crap u need. I'm not really sure how much it gave him, but it definatley helped.

Oh and the 3rd gen Camaros actually weigh less then us. Figured I'd toss that one out there to.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, but I mean idk the 305 just is a piece of shit. We had a buddy who put like 13,000 into one and the damn thing only ran 13s

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
God you are an idiot.

I normally don't take such offense to individual members but something about you... Stinks.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
I don't know about that, I think the L8x Crossfire 350s were pretty awful (Sorry Doric/NHRATA01).
Not as bad as the Crossfire 305. At least with the 350s, you could rip off the F/I setup, slap on a carb, heads and a cam, and have a decent running setup. 305s pretty much suck a hind tit no matter what you do.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had a '91 RS. Thankfully, I had the v-6, if I'm correct, was more powerful than the 305. Not that really mattered, about 6 months after owning it, I had a 383 dropped in. Wolf in sheep's clothing, if you didn't hear the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
I had a '91 RS. Thankfully, I had the v-6, if I'm correct, was more powerful than the 305. Not that really mattered, about 6 months after owning it, I had a 383 dropped in. Wolf in sheep's clothing, if you didn't hear the exhaust.
Nah the 305 was more powerful, only because the V6 was such a sad sack. I had an '89 V6, made 135hp (the 3.1 in '91 made 140hp). Going from that, the 170hp 305 TBI car felt like a rocket sled.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey NHRA were did u get that HP rating? I was told when I had it, and seen on sites, that it made 205hp. You talking about whp or chp?

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
Hey NHRA were did u get that HP rating? I was told when I had it, and seen on sites, that it made 205hp. You talking about whp or chp?
Well, it depends on which 305 you had. 88-92, there were two. The Throttle-Body Injected one made 170hp, had a big circular air cleaner on it and the motor looked like a typical carb'd engine would. That was the V8 available on the base models. The other version was Tuned Port injected, it had a fancy looking plenum on it, made between ~205-230hp depending on the year and transmission. That was only available on the uplevel models (Forumla, TA, Z28)

TBI:

TPI:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, it depends on which 305 you had. 88-92, there were two. The Throttle-Body Injected one made 170hp, had a big circular air cleaner on it and the motor looked like a typical carb'd engine would. That was the V8 available on the base models. The other version was Tuned Port injected, it had a fancy looking plenum on it, made between ~205-230hp depending on the year and transmission. That was only available on the uplevel models (Forumla, TA, Z28)

TBI:

TPI:

im an x 3rd gen cam owner myself. sounds just about right to me.:twothumb: the only unfortunate thing when shopping for one is that someone may tell you they did a switch from the 305 tpi to the 350 tpi and you wouldnt be able to tell the difference unless you looked at the number on the engine block.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im an x 3rd gen cam owner myself. sounds just about right to me.:twothumb: the only unfortunate thing when shopping for one is that someone may tell you they did a switch from the 305 tpi to the 350 tpi and you wouldnt be able to tell the difference unless you looked at the number on the engine block.

Yep I've heard that

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
i've noticed there are alot of people that came to the 3g from a 3g firbird/camaro, i myself come from a 90 firebird that i still own.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts