Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a an Eclipse and the car sounds loud but the muffler rattles louder than the already loud car. I'm looking to just replace the muffler and cant find a whole lot for 2.4 with the few I found sounding really bad. Right now its a deep tone and I hope to find something that's either the same or deeper than what I have. Ill prob upload a video of what I have on it right now tomorrow for a reference. I found one video of a V6 that sounds really and if anybody knows how to get close to that it would be much appreciated if you post the info and a video if possible.
Link to the V6:

· USN
1,085 Posts
I should really make a video of my exhaust. I have an Injen SES exhaust and I think it sounds great. Great sound, no rasp, is a bit pricier though, but I would buy it again. Shop around and you should be able to get it under $800. And yes, it fits the 2.4L, even though it says it's for the 3.0L.

· Super Moderator
54,047 Posts
I had a friend with one of those on a 2.4 and it was LOUD on the highway so loud he had a shop install a large resonator to tone down the loud drone. At highway speeds you couldn't talk in the car and it reverberated in the cabin so badly it was almost unbearable.
Personally I think Magnaflow sounds good on pretty much everything, not too loud and has a nice mellow tone but I understand that's not what everyone wants.

· Registered
37 Posts
So I just got a an Eclipse and the car sounds loud but the muffler rattles louder than the already loud car. I'm looking to just replace the muffler and cant find a whole lot for 2.4 with the few I found sounding really bad. Right now its a deep tone and I hope to find something that's either the same or deeper than what I have. Ill prob upload a video of what I have on it right now tomorrow for a reference. I found one video of a V6 that sounds really and if anybody knows how to get close to that it would be much appreciated if you post the info and a video if possible.
Link to the V6:
if your okay with the tone you currently have, could always go to the junk yard and pull an exhast from another eclipse. if you end up doing that, there’s this black oval rubber piece that connects the muffler to the underbody of the car. grab that if it’s in good condition. it’s like a vibration dentiner
also, maybe take a peek under the car and see if you can’t find that rubber piece. they tend to become brittle due to heat from the exhast and road grime that gets on them. replacing that little fella could save you from buying a new muffler just to find you have rattle. something else to check is the heat shields above the muffler. could always be something simple as being loose. but heck, if you got the cash to spend, since your under there might as well change the muffler 🤷‍♂️

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if your okay with the tone you currently have, could always go to the junk yard and pull an exhast from another eclipse. if you end up doing that, there’s this black oval rubber piece that connects the muffler to the underbody of the car. grab that if it’s in good condition. it’s like a vibration dentiner
also, maybe take a peek under the car and see if you can’t find that rubber piece. they tend to become brittle due to heat from the exhast and road grime that gets on them. replacing that little fella could save you from buying a new muffler just to find you have rattle. something else to check is the heat shields above the muffler. could always be something simple as being loose. but heck, if you got the cash to spend, since your under there might as well change the muffler 🤷‍♂️
So this is what I have right now.

· Registered
2005 Spyder GT
829 Posts
Get under the car and rattle the muffler like you did in the video...this will help you locate which mount or mounts need rubber reinforcement, or if any heat shields are loose. If you can't find rubber mounts, they can be made from block rubber if necessary.

· Super Moderator
54,047 Posts
It's been like 20yrs since I've seen stock exhaust but I don't believe that's a stock muffler? If it is, I recall it not being uncommon for the baffles inside to break and rattle and/or even restrict flow when they flop the wrong way and block passages.

· Registered
37 Posts
It's been like 20yrs since I've seen stock exhaust but I don't believe that's a stock muffler? If it is, I recall it not being uncommon for the baffles inside to break and rattle and/or even restrict flow when they flop the wrong way and block passages.
yeah that exhaust looks very tuner. far from stock. or atleast maybe a muffler tip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts