Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new member here and am glad I found this site. It's good to have a forum community with helpful and knowledgeable members to spread and share information about our cars. Just some information about mine:

2001 Eclipse GT AT (125,000 miles)
Injen Catback Exhaust
Injen Short Ram Intake
ROCA Motor mounts
Enkei Wheels
7K HIDs
Alpine System

Here's the thing-I've had this car for awhile now, still drives like a dream, and I still love it. I have 2k to spend for upgrades and I figure I'm done with spending money on this car. As you can tell, I'm not really into cosmetic upgrades (i.e. lowering, LEDs, etc.) and was interested in just keeping it looking clean but was looking to improve my driving experience in terms of performance. For all you knowledgeable members out there please help a less mechanically inclined guy and offer me some suggestions in how to spend this 2k? Sorry for the long post and I look forward to hearing from ya'll. (Please, only proven effective or dyno'd parts only).

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts

·
Jedi Ninja
289 Posts
Agreed. If you're asking what mods you should do you're really just better off saving your money until you can afford something newer/nicer. Just keep it maintained mechanically and cosmetically.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
If the car is mechanically 100% sound and you plan on keeping it for at least 2 years, for 2K, I'd replace my timing belt if it hasn't been done already, and buy coilovers or lowering springs.

As others have noted, there is nothing else you can really do for 2k that is worthwhile with the exception of maybe an engine swap, but you'd have to do a lot of the wrenching yourself and it doens't sound like you have the experience to tackle that.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hate to say it, but unless you are ready to get your hands seriously dirty and are prepared for pitfalls along the way, there really isn't much you can do performance wise for this car. There are no bolt on Turbo's for the 01 GT and you can't custome build one for 2k if you don't have any experience, so that's out. You could look into N/A (natural aspiration) and a tune and get a small boost in performance. That's probably your best bet if you are serious about wanting performance. If you want to do that:

6g74 Diamante plenum swap with a 6g74 throttle body (This isn't necessarily hard to do but if you don't have much wrench experience then I would do some serious research and reading before you do it.)
Then get some long tube headers or new headers to attach to that catback you have then find someone to tune it.

In all seriousness if you arn't bleeding 3G and don't like wrenching don't do anything and just keep it pretty. Do what Lil Mitsu said if you want to just keep it clean and fun.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Sounds like you want only GO mods and no SHOW mods.

1) Headers and a Diamante/6G74 throttle body and upper manifold swap.
or
2) Clutch and lightweight flywheel install
or
3) An (Quaife) LSD could be purchased and installed for $2K but I doubt it would do you much good with so few power/engine mods (currently). Also, Ideally this would be the time to replace the clutch and flywheel as the tranny will already be dropped and out of the way (that is the hard/$$$ part)
or
4) Coilovers or AGXs and lowering springs (for handling/cornering) and some chassis stiffening parts (sway bars, strut tower bars, bushing kit)

You are likely $1K or so short for a supercharger kit or for a worthwhile engine swap (rebuilt or upgraded). You can do a whole lot more with $3-4K (turbo, supercharger, built 6G74 or 6G75 engines).

MY personal favorite (most bang for my buck) seemed to be the Diamante upper manifold and throttle body swap but you'll likely need headers before the swap helps you much. Much more responsive throttle after those items have been replaced and for me there seemed to be more power available higher in the RPM range. There should be plenty of info on what parts are needed and the install process on this website.

Also, the (eBay) short shifter and Prothane(?) shifter bushings are cheap and easy DIY projects taking less than 30mins. I was highly impressed with the difference in my shifting with that setup. That was the easiest and fastest mod I think I have ever done. I doubt it takes anything more than a Philips, a 10mm or 12mm socket and half an hour of time.

GL with your decisions and welcome to the site. :wavey: If you end up making a decision on what to upgrade then do some searching before buying or asking for help figuring out the install. If you have SPECIFIC questions I'm sure many people here would be willing to help!

·
UMADBREH?
3,460 Posts
Sounds like you want only GO mods and no SHOW mods.

1) Headers and a Diamante/6G74 throttle body and upper manifold swap.
or
2) Clutch and lightweight flywheel install
or
3) An (Quaife) LSD could be purchased and installed for $2K but I doubt it would do you much good with so few power/engine mods (currently). Also, Ideally this would be the time to replace the clutch and flywheel as the tranny will already be dropped and out of the way (that is the hard/$$$ part)
or
4) Coilovers or AGXs and lowering springs (for handling/cornering) and some chassis stiffening parts (sway bars, strut tower bars, bushing kit)

You are likely $1K or so short for a supercharger kit or for a worthwhile engine swap (rebuilt or upgraded). You can do a whole lot more with $3-4K (turbo, supercharger, built 6G74 or 6G75 engines).

MY personal favorite (most bang for my buck) seemed to be the Diamante upper manifold and throttle body swap but you'll likely need headers before the swap helps you much. Much more responsive throttle after those items have been replaced and for me there seemed to be more power available higher in the RPM range. There should be plenty of info on what parts are needed and the install process on this website.

Also, the (eBay) short shifter and Prothane(?) shifter bushings are cheap and easy DIY projects taking less than 30mins. I was highly impressed with the difference in my shifting with that setup. That was the easiest and fastest mod I think I have ever done. I doubt it takes anything more than a Philips, a 10mm or 12mm socket and half an hour of time.

GL with your decisions and welcome to the site. :wavey: If you end up making a decision on what to upgrade then do some searching before buying or asking for help figuring out the install. If you have SPECIFIC questions I'm sure many people here would be willing to help!
Seriously, eveything Mark said is truth. Pretty much everything I have done (minus a few things) and I like the car enough to wait for something better. I'm flirting with the idea of a 3.8 but I don't see myself investing much more into this car. Go for show, go is hard to get with this platform.

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts