Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Low and Slow.
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Being the Detroit Axle arms fit so well, I think i will order mine from them too. Have you bought anything else from them? Their prices look pretty good, but that makes me skeptical.
That's the only thing Ive bought from them. The customer service is excellent. Turns out between the 01 and 02+ model years (On the 2.4 model at least) they changed the rear bracket. I ordered the incorrect ones, and when comparing the new vs old, it wasnt going to work. I contacted the vendor, they sent me an RMA and shipping label, and once they received what I sent back, they sent the correct ones for my model year. No additional charge.
They are heavy duty just like the OEM ones.

·
Low and Slow.
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Working on the car this weekend and i noticed the reverse lights weren't coming on. I replaced the switch on the transmission when i rebuilt it because the little ball on the end didnt have any spring back, so i checked out the fuse and that was the culprit. After changing the fuse i noticed the SRS light went out on the way to work. I dont know if its coincidence or not, but ill take it. I suppose I could pull the fuse and see if it comes back but I'll leave it alone for now. SRS light and all lights do come on when the car is started then go out, so I know the system is at least going through its checks. Im very happy to have zero warning lights while driving after the rebuild.

Washed the car this weekend too. The paint and body definitely needs redone but looks half decent in this light and this angle. Also put some 20mm hub centric wheel spacers on the rear. Made a huge difference in looks.

·
Low and Slow.
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I visited one of the two local LKQ junkyards and got just about everything i was after. They had three Eclipses and one Stratus coupe. Out of the three I was able to get one decent double din radio bezel, and various trim pieces. Off the Stratus I was able to get a fender in perfect condition.
Radio bezel and brackets only cost $10, and the fender was $40.

I left the headlights in OEM form for a couple weeks, but I couldn't learn to love the chrome bezels. Opened them up and painted the trim black.

·
Low and Slow.
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Had a cooling issue and eventually had white smoke come out of the exhaust when warm. Compression test showed 195 psi on all cylinders when cold. I assumed i had exhaust getting into the coolant, but didnt have the tester for that. I decided to not pull the motor, and just pull the head where the engine sat and do a headgasket anyways, since I dont have any service record of it being done and i believe it to be the culprit. Once the head was off and the intake manifold separated, i think the problem was the intake gasket. Where the one coolant passage passes between the head, through the intake and to either the heater core or throttle body, there was some damage and coolant droplets. New head gasket, new intake gasket, new coolant hoses from the radiator, a steep hill to burp the cooling system and heater core, and its been trouble free.

Went to another LKQ and picked up a like new main carpet for $8, along with door panels off an 03-05. I had always wanted to the double din conversion and was able to find a good bezel with brackets for $10. Need to trim the mounts on the HVAC controls to bring it flush to the bezel; the one on the coupe is pushed back just a little due to the design.Its nice having the back up camera feature finally in this thing. I re-powder coated the red under the hood with a texture red, its more fitting than the illusion red in my opinion. Still want to do a few more pieces like the strut bar. Body work to come, but the car drives great now. Not bad for 223k miles.

·
Low and Slow.
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Those are nice rims!
Theyre OEM 03-05 Stratus Coupe wheels. They originally had the Dodge ram head logo but only one was still there, and it was cracked. Replacement center caps were impossible to find so I went with the Mitsubishi center caps. The wheel actually has the Mitsubishi Diamonds embossed in the back side of the spoke.

Even better, with just a 30mm spacer they clear big brake calipers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Theyre OEM 03-05 Stratus Coupe wheels. They originally had the Dodge ram head logo but only one was still there, and it was cracked. Replacement center caps were impossible to find so I went with the Mitsubishi center caps. The wheel actually has the Mitsubishi Diamonds embossed in the back side of the spoke.

Even better, with just a 30mm spacer they clear big brake calipers.
Thanks for letting me know!

·
Low and Slow.
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Its been just over a year since I got the Stratus back. 5.5 years ago I moved from TN to NC, and evidently had a complete set of seats in a warehouse at my former workplace. They were cleaning out the building and a former coworker asked if the seats were mine, and for $100 they were shipped on a truck to me. Much better condition than the current ones, and pretty decent shape for being 20 years old. A deep scrub and conditioning with Lexol and they were swapped out.

Comparison of when I bought the car VS now

"New" interior - Carpet, headliner, all seats, steering wheel, shift knob, 03+ door panels and Eclipse double din installed. Dash is cracked but I can live with it. Not the worst out there.

Now its time for a little boost in power. Not looking to break records, but need a little bit more out of the gas pedal. Still gathering parts, but I have a G4JS head with the lettering milled down on the valve cover (The bold lettering looks cheesy to me), EVO cams, springs and retainers, fuel rail and EVO intake manifold for now. Hoping to have the head built over the winter, and have it prepped for forced induction. Im not sure if ill install it and tune for NA and gather turbo stuff after or just wait and do it all at once.
The head and all parts were pulled from a Sonata at LKQ. After using my 20% coupon it was like $60. Cant beat that.

·
Low and Slow.
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Front bumper has been repaired, and more parts have been sourced for the head build.

At my last junkyard trip I picked up new support brackets that attach the bumper. Due to the front fender on this side getting hit, it had tweaked the support and the bumper fit incorrectly. Much better now.
All EVO 8 internals for the head build have been bought, and the valve cover was powder coated. I removed the baffles so no sand would be hidden after prepping for coating, and gave it a 360* clean. Baffles were bolted back in place with loctited screws.

Hyundai G4JSvalve cover with the lettering milled, and powder coated wrinkle red. I made a spark plug cover and coated it wrinkle black.

Complete turbo from an Evolution 8. Had minimum shaft play but it will be rebuilt as well.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts