Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Im brand spankin new to the forum, just finally decided to join today... So feel free to give me crap or point me in the right direction if I sound retarded or am doing something wrong.

So I have a 2001 GS, its a manual, completely stock other than the AEM cold air intake I just put in it. Its the winter green one, not my favorite color, but its alright... I've had it for about 5 months now. 105,000 miles on it, and the body is all pretty clean.

My question is what mods and stuff would you guys suggest I should do to it? Both performance as well as visual. Please try to dumb down your language a bit, as I dont know too much about cars haha.

Whats common? What are some basic performance boosts? Is it even worth it to mod a basic GS engine with 105k miles on it already? And major engine work, i would have to take to get done at a shop rather than do myself probably. I dont have much tools, and no garage to work in. Include any brands and price estimates of stuff please.

I also already bought a set of Pulstar Iridium spark plugs, but havent got around to putting them in yet... I plan on getting a new Exhaust but dont really know where to start as far as brands and such. I would like to lower it, tint my windows, get new bumpers and side skirts (nothing over the top), get new wheels, eventually paint the entire car (not sure what color yet), other than that, im not really sure what else... Suggestions? Interior stuff as well?

Also, idk if its my imagination or not, but since putting in the CAI, the driving of my car seems different... I havent noticed any improved performance or sound difference (I didnt expect much from it anyways), but it seems like my car bogs down at a much higher RPM than usual. I almost always have to be giving it gas, anything under 2k really starts to lurch. Maybe its not getting enough air? The filter itself sticks down kind of in my bumper next to the little black vent-looking strips under the blinker. They're not actually vents though, theyre completely covered by the plastic pieces. Under the engine bay is completely open though, i can see straight to the ground... So im not sure what could be the problem.

Also, my rotors need replaced... So i figured I may as well buy drilled and slotted ones now. Any suggestions in regards to that?

Please include any websites, other forum posts, pictures, brands, prices, and whatever else! Im not on a huge budget, but I have enough to work with.

Thank you so much!! Sorry if my post is annoyingly enormous and I sound like a car noob. I am haha. I greatly appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Kaylor

·
My Snail's Bigger =P
5,338 Posts
First off welcome :wavey:, there is tons of info on this site. Make friends with the SEARCH button, it will save you tons of time. Second check out the members rides threads for some other ideas;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
As already said above, you'll do well to become good friends with the search box.:)

But just to get you started about some things to think about

Lowering:

-Your cheapest option is to use lowering springs and aftermarket struts. KYB AGX struts are highly recommended and Eibach and Tien are both reputable brands to buy lowering springs from.

-If you have the extra cash to spend, coilovers are another option. They're more pricey but you get a lot more performance value from this sort of a set-up.

-Bushing Kits, Tie Bars, Sway Bars and Endlinks are other things you might want to do some research on while you're working on the suspension.

Tint:

-How dark or light you go totally boils down to your own personal preference, but be aware that different states have different laws about how dark you can go and on what windows. I believe there's a thread on here with the different listings for every state if you need to look it up.

Bumper/Side Skirts:

-Most people on here will say to stick with a lip kit. The most popular I've seen on here are the SS kit and the Wings West kit. I think the SS kit looks best on the 2000-2002's, and the Wings West looks best on the 2003-2005, but that's just my opinion.

-Another option would be to do a 2003-2005 front bumper conversion and add GT sideskirts.

Wheels:

-Everyone's taste is different on wheels and what you think looks good someone else will surely think looks bad. So, I would pick something you like (because it's your car and who cares anyway :)), but to do some research on wheel/tire size and fitment, especially if you're lowering it to make sure you won't have rubbing issues.

Interior:

-If you're on a budget, doing an LED swap on the interior lighting is a good mod that won't run you a million bucks. Other than that I would highly recommend upgrading the audio if that's something you care about.

Lights:

-I know you didn't really mention anything about lighting but I can almost guaruntee one of the first things people will suggest you swap out are the turn signals and rear corner lights. Upgrading your stock headlights and tail lights are another must. Depo is a good brand to look into.

Other than that, I think the best thing you can do is make sure all of your maintenance and repairs are taken care of, best to start with a clean slate.:)

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Before you do any modding at all make sure all of your maintenance is up to date especially the timing belt. Check out the members rides section to get some ideas of what others have done before you and its a good place to see what looks good and not so good on our cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome :) Thanks for all the info. I was suprised to get such a big, detailed message haha. I'm excited to start gettin stuff done. Im keepin a list of all my plans so far.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome to Club3g :wavey: , heres some mods i personally like

Exterior
-look up Shine Street Eclipse Kit one of the nicest looking clean non toy car kits for out cars imo, either that or West Wings which is another well known kit for the eclipse.
- dual halo head lamps/smoked tail lights or chrome which ever you prefer
-Swap out the stock Amber turn signals for Smoked turn signals or chrome
-Lower a few inches :) can't have you car on 4x4 mode haha
-and you can swap a 2003-2006 eclipse front bumper to a 2000-2002 and vice versa if you like the look of one of those better then your stock bumper.

Interior
-Swap out gauge LEDs and clock led to a color of your preference
-UNDERDASH Led
-LED dome light installation

performance
-cold air intake
-prothane eclipse motor mounts
-I have a GT but heard the GS engine gets along with Turbo reallllllllly well so maybe consider that but expect to drop some $$$ never get a cheap turbo.

I suggest looking at the garage section and reading some how tos to get a look at what other members have done and how they have done it.

also Ebay has a good selection of parts for a decent price just be careful before buying some parts are cheap for a reason haha :noway:

Look at the cars of the months to all of them have their mods listed so just see what you like best :drool:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I would advise against the prothane motor mounts being that you have a GS it will just vibrate the hell out of you and the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks BlakeTee, helps a lot :) Im gunna order some small stuff today. Not sure what exactly yet though...

Can anyone give me a rough estimate on the total cost of getting a turbo would be?

For a nice Turbo and everything else needed, as well as paying someone to install it? My guess was around... $4,000 maybe? I dunno...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

Since this post, i have:

Bought and Installed a Megan short shifter
Bought and Installed Energy Suspension Shifter Stabilizer Bushings
Bought and Installed a SickSpeed shifter boot and iridescent knob
Bought and Installed a DC Sport front and rear Strut bar.
Bought but haven't yet installed an Invidia N1 Cat-back Exhaust

More to come! Until next paycheck... :)

~Kaylor

1 - 12 of 12 Posts