Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the 2001 GT I picked up a few months ago almost left me stranded today. I noticed when I left for work this morning, the idle was bouncing around slightly. Gas tank is half full of premium as this is all I run in this car. About 2 months ago I did ALL the maintenance on this car e.g factory plugs, wires, Gates timing belt and water pump kit, factory rotor and distributor cap, valve cover gaskets, and install my new Mishimoto radiator and did a coolant flush. The car will drive but, bogs down at random and will not idle at all. No engine codes right now. These are my suspicions in order of biggest culprit to lowest:

Fuel Pump - Will check fuel pressure
IAC valve - Will look into the factory manual for testing. I have not removed this yet so I suspect is dirty.
Fuel Pressure Regulator - May replace this just because its cheap and its the factory original.
Alternator - Yea, I am aware a slight difference in voltage output causes all kinds of issues for this cars. This too is the factory original with 172k on it. Will check voltage output
Distributor - Just considering the age of this car, this may be an issue.

Please someone experienced with our cars provide feedback and correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

Thank you,

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the problem....the dumbass that did all the maintenance a few months ago (me), did not tighten the clamp on the air intake to the throttle body. The pipe fell off and the engine was sucking up more air than the MAF knew about. I did check the fuel pressure and cleaned the IAC while I was there all of which were good.

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
540 Posts
I found the problem....the dumbass that did all the maintenance a few months ago (me), did not tighten the clamp on the air intake to the throttle body. The pipe fell off and the engine was sucking up more air than the MAF knew about. I did check the fuel pressure and cleaned the IAC while I was there all of which were good.
Yup, 99% of the time you have a new problem AFTER a fix, it's bc you didn't reconnect something proper like...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts