Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am new to this community. I recently bought an eclipse and started fixing it up, making sure everything is working and in good shape. I came across a large hole in my exhaust that has rusted. I dont know if it goes all the way through or not. I bought a manual to show what component it is and no luck. Here are some images. Any ideas what part this is? i am also looking to replace the cat-back, but need to know if that is a cat or muffler or resonator. Also how many cats does it have? and any full exhaust diagrams? Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you're not throwing any codes, you can probably wait to do anything with the exhaust until you're ready to replace from the cat back to the muffler. Focus on anything first that causes a check engine light, so buying an OBD-II scanner is a must have if doing your own work on your car. Scan for codes, then let us know what they are.
BTW, if you have a CA spec emissions (check the label on the inside of the hood), then you will have two "pre-cats" just below each exhaust manifold, with 4 total O2 sensors located just above and below each pre-cat. After the pre-cats, you have two downpipes that merge as a "Y" into one pipe.Then the main cat, resonator, and muffler. Typically you will not need to replace anything other than the O2 sensors in the first section (front) of the exhaust system. However, the rear section (cat back to muffler) is more prone to rusting. When buying parts, try to stick with direct fit bolt on parts, especially if you are doing your own work and dont know how to weld.
Welcome to Club3G!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're not throwing any codes, you can probably wait to do anything with the exhaust until you're ready to replace from the cat back to the muffler. Focus on anything first that causes a check engine light, so buying an OBD-II scanner is a must have if doing your own work on your car. Scan for codes, then let us know what they are.
BTW, if you have a CA spec emissions (check the label on the inside of the hood), then you will have two "pre-cats" just below each exhaust manifold, with 4 total O2 sensors located just above and below each pre-cat. After the pre-cats, you have two downpipes that merge as a "Y" into one pipe.Then the main cat, resonator, and muffler. Typically you will not need to replace anything other than the O2 sensors in the first section (front) of the exhaust system. However, the rear section (cat back to muffler) is more prone to rusting. When buying parts, try to stick with direct fit bolt on parts, especially if you are doing your own work and dont know how to weld.
Welcome to Club3G!!!
Great thank you so much! I actually am throwing a lot of codes. Not many places here even want to look at a mitsubishi. I had someome scope the ECM as well and we got some odd reading. No one knows why it is like that though. Or if the original reading is correct.

·
New To Site
2001 Spyder GT
224 Posts
There are three cat`s on your Eclipse . Starting at the motor you have a small cat at each bank ... then the connecting pipe with a flex pipe and the main cat. From there .. another pipe with a resonator and the muffler ...That is your main cat in your picture ..
Your codes ....
P0171 = System too lean ( bank 1 )
P0335 = Crankshaft position sensor "A" - circuit malfunction
P0340 = Camshaft position sensor "A" - circuit malfunction (bank 1 )
P0154 = 02 sensor circuit - no activity detected ( bank 2 - sensor 1
P0175 = System too rich ( bank 2 )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi i am new to this community. I recently bought an eclipse and started fixing it up, making sure everything is working and in good shape. I came across a large hole in my exhaust that has rusted. I dont know if it goes all the way through or not. I bought a manual to show what component it is and no luck. Here are some images. Any ideas what part this is? i am also looking to replace the cat-back, but need to know if that is a cat or muffler or resonator. Also how many cats does it have? and any full exhaust diagrams? Thanks! View attachment 43810 View attachment 43811
That is your cat your car has 3 of them 2 coming off exhaust manifolds and the one in the image which i would recommend cutting off and get a piece of tubing to go in its place then further back you have 2 resonators and lastly your muffler

·
New To Site
2001 Spyder GT
224 Posts
By the above post am I too assume that you can remove the main cat and replace with a straight pipe.. In Canada that car would not pass a safety inspection .. If it is done after the safety and you get caught without a cat the car can be removed from the road... ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts