Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was driving an all-nighter. It was the only time I have ever fallen asleep at the wheel. I woke up with my 2 left wheels just off the road and slithering through the mud at about 70 mph. I jerked up in shock and jolted the wheel to the right too hard . . sending me into a sickening slide with multiple 360's. Why no one hit me as I spun through the opposing lanes - I'll never know. After about 3 revolutions I ended up going straight for a Church. There were 4 brick columns and I was headed straight for one of them. I covered my face in horror - slammed into it and it broke into several huge sections that rained down on the car. I will never forget those 2 seconds as I covered my face. I was certain this was gonna be either Death or traumatic injury.

One 4-foot section of the brick column came down . . pierced through my windshield . . and landed on the passenger seat (see the huge hole pctured). Another section landed on my front hood (see the damage) and a third landed on the convertible top. I cannot believe the top only sagged down but did not collapse - it protected me.
I was - and still am - all shook up. If I had hit the column just 2 feet to the right the 4-foot section would have slammed through my driver's side of the windshield. Definitely it would have killed me. Instead I was left there - dazed - in this crushed up car - with Church Crosses on either side of me. It was a very surreal moment - silent except for the hissing of my radiator.

The same night the Church Pastor called me . . . an old, Black preacher. He was, understandably - very distraught. And I felt so guilty to have put him through this. But after a few days of back and forth . . along with the Insurance company . . we worked things out. Damages were set by the Adjuster at $24,000. Insurance paid the Pastor $20 grand (the max) and I owed him $4 grand !! Although it is not a Legal arrangement, I feel it is only right to pay him, so I will make good on the money as soon as I can.

What are the chances of taking a 10-hour all-night drive . . . never passing any Churches - then slamming right into the middle of a tiny country Church that appeared out of nowhere ? I have never been religious but this was just too much "against the odds". So it does make me wonder. Anyway here's the Accident location and the Car :

I ended up replacing the 2001 with this 2005 Spyder GTS.
Insurance had given me $4000 for the totaled 2001 and I spent $9000 on this one ( 53,000 miles and no damage) :

·
6,548 Posts
Well, glad you're okay. It's up to you to decide if there's any grander meaning to all that happened. Glad the car did its part to protect you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts