Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mom's 02 Eclipse has had intermitant starting issues since we got it. Battery and starter have already been replaced. It clicks once when starting, then nothing. I have also put a new positive terminal on. will likely replace the negative battery lead and terminal tomorrow. It is A/T so no starter relay. . My only ideas atm are something with the Neutral switch and i have tried starting in N with no success. Maybe ignition switch, Maybe a bad wire to the starter, Maybe something around the fuse box or front ecu lose or corroded. I am looking for any advice moving forward. Thanks! I will be doing more diagnostics tomorrow with a volt meter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Have you already wire brushed the insides of the negative terminal clamp so it's bright and shiny? It's important that the post and the terminal clamp have really good connection with no corrosion.

You can also use a remote starting switch to bypass the ignition, NSS, and similar components, for troubleshooting purposes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My Mom's 02 Eclipse has had intermitant starting issues since we got it. Battery and starter have already been replaced. It clicks once when starting, then nothing. I have also put a new positive terminal on. will likely replace the negative battery lead and terminal tomorrow. It is A/T so no starter relay. . My only ideas atm are something with the Neutral switch and i have tried starting in N with no success. Maybe ignition switch, Maybe a bad wire to the starter, Maybe something around the fuse box or front ecu lose or corroded. I am looking for any advice moving forward. Thanks! I will be doing more diagnostics tomorrow with a volt meter.

CLEAN those battery terminals cables AND check all your grounds that are attached to the wall of the bay area. Unscrew them all, spray and scrub them clean.
I've had this issue a couple months ago...
Turned the key..and just a click..nothing!

I cleaned battery terminals cables and all grounds. Started up just fine.
BUT a week later noticed my battery terminal cables loose and bent.
Got a new battery brass terminal from AutoZone, and no issues again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts