Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new here. I recently bought a 2002 Eclipse Spyder GT with the 3.0 V6 6G72. Someone told me that the ECU retards the timing when the accelerator is held at WOT for a few seconds. I cannot find any documentation on this. Anyone here know if that is true and where the info is found? If so, is there an ECU reflash to override it or will I need a standalone system? The car has been wrecked and is going to be turned into a track rat.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
834 Posts
Welcome to Club3G ... I have not read anywhere about the timing being retarded at WOT… That's not to say it isn't so, but I did a quick search and came up with nothing. The search bar at the top of the page is your best friend. Any questions you may have.....example.... retard timing ... can be asked there. The 2002 ECU can be re-flashed with the proper cable and software... The cable is sold by Tactrix and the program is called ECMflash which can be downloaded for free... You can also purchase the cable from them ... Best of luck with your build....Click on the word Tactrix below to download your software...Navigate to downloads
Tactrix

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
139 Posts
No, the timing is not retarded at open throttle. The engine has a rev limiter that cuts in at @ about 6200rpm. With stock gearing and tires that is about 90mph in 3rd. gear. ...J.D.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to Club3G ... I have not read anywhere about the timing being retarded at WOT… That's not to say it isn't so, but I did a quick search and came up with nothing. The search bar at the top of the page is your best friend. Any questions you may have.....example.... retard timing ... can be asked there. The 2002 ECU can be re-flashed with the proper cable and software... The cable is sold by Tactrix and the program is called ECMflash which can be downloaded for free... You can also purchase the cable from them ... Best of luck with your build....Click on the word Tactrix below to download your software...Navigate to downloads
Tactrix
Thank you for the info and the link. Checking Tactrix out now.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
139 Posts
There is a guy on here that races a G3. His user name is "Chinchooter" or something like that. You might check out his posts. ...J.D.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts