Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just had a used transmission put in my 2002 eclipse the guy i bought it from basically hustled me i guess i put in an older eclipse transmission which has a slight gear differenc and is causing my car to shift 1st, 2nd and then jerk into limp mode 3rd only. Can i figure out what PCM matches this tranny and put it in my car? If so do i have to flash it what???? Can someone please give me sound advice dont have the money to replace it what can i do?????

·
Registered
62 Posts
In my experience, you often pay more by using used... specially with automatic transmissions..... But, really all you would have to do is get the PCM from that specific year and model and change it with yours. No programming should be necessary... The engines are virtually identical... Now I do know that there are different definitions for each specific make and model, but I believe the only changes are slight tuning variances.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had something similar a few years ago. It had been parked and needed some repairs tranny was original but would shift like you described. I just manually shifted 1st-3rd and didn't go into overdrive. Later on I replaced the battery and it started shifting right immediately after that. Other than that just make sure you're using the right fluid and put some seafoam or transx in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my experience, you often pay more by using used... specially with automatic transmissions..... But, really all you would have to do is get the PCM from that specific year and model and change it with yours. No programming should be necessary... The engines are virtually identical... Now I do know that there are different definitions for each specific make and model, but I believe the only changes are slight tuning variances.
Thanks man you are the only response ive gotten, the hours and research are un-countable my marriage is strained behind this. So you think if the problem is an older tranny, havent confirmed that myself cant identify the tranny yet, anyhow can i have one of these tuner guys once i know what tranny it is go in and program it etc, also lets say it is a match tranny dont i still need to go in the pcm and do a value reset have it relearn the new tranny. I did gi into the nuetral park switch completely tore it down and cleaned all the way to copper pieces, springs and bb's and i will say it acted somewhat better but still through itself into limp mode

·
Registered
62 Posts
You would need a scanner to perform the adaptive learn reset. It's not that big a deal if the proper scanner is used. As far as I know from my readings, the trans part of the PCM has not been accessible for changes. Neutral safety switch is only for starting purposes.Tells the starter it's ok to crank. Have you pulled any codes out of this thing? That would be a big help in pointing you in the right direction. Usually limp home is a result of an electrical issue ( bad pressure sensor or shift solenoid) but can also be caused by slip. (input speed and output speed variances)
Got this right from the manual.
FAIL-SAFE/BACKUP FUNCTION M1231008300041 When malfunctions of the main sensors or actuators are detected by the PCM, the transaxle is controlled by pre-set control logic to maintain safe conditions for driving. MB991502 AC001252 16 PIN AB MALFUNCTIONING ITEM JUDGEMENT CONDITION CONTROL CONTENTS DURING MALFUNCTION Input shaft speed sensor No output pulse from the input shaft speed sensor is detected for one second or more when the vehicle speed is 30 km/h (19 mph) or more. The diagnostic trouble code is displayed when the judgement condition occurs once. When the judgement condition is met four times, the transaxle holds 3rd gear or 2nd gear depending on speed and for vehicles with sport mode "N" range light flashes as a fail-safe.
Output shaft speed sensor Output from the output shaft speed sensor is continuously 50 % or less of the output from the vehicle speed sensor one second or more when the vehicle speed is 30 km/h (19 mph) or more. The diagnostic trouble code is displayed when the judgement condition occurs once. When the judgement condition is met four times, the transaxle holds 3rd gear or 2nd gear depending on speed and for vehicles with sport mode "N" range light flashes as a fail-safe.
Low-reverse solenoid valve Solenoid valve resistance is below 2.7 W for 0.32 seconds. When the judgement condition is met four times, the A/T control relay is turned off and for vehicles with sport mode "N" range light flashes. Underdrive solenoid valve Second solenoid valve Overdrive solenoid valve Torque converter clutch solenoid valve
Need to check for codes....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts