Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Mitsubishi eclipse 2.4 non turbo I have to turn off and on my fuel pump to get it started then the speedo is pegged at full speed idles and revs good but stalls as soon as I put it in any gear will not restart unless I trick it again with the on off fuel pump only codes that come up are cam shaft and crankshaft sensor when running I replaced them still the same thing and the speedo makes zeo sense to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When it started with the problem I was driving and just lost all engine power as it died at about 35 miles a hour would not restart. I did change out the fuel pump and cam shaft/crankshaft sensors. No luck on it.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
473 Posts
I have to turn off and on my fuel pump to get it started
What do you mean by this? I'm asking because the fuel pump doesn't run when you turn the key from OFF to ON. It only activates while you're holding the ignition in the START position, or once the engine is running.

Do you mean you have to turn the key to START, then back to OFF, then back to Start?

When it started with the problem I was driving and just lost all engine power as it died at about 35 miles a hour would not restart. I did change out the fuel pump and cam shaft/crankshaft sensors. No luck on it.
It sounds like you replaced the fuel pump and the two timing sensors, and the car still wouldn't run. How did you get it to run?

Does the speedometer stay pegged at full speed 100% of the time, or only sometimes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sorry I mean when I turn it off and on by when I am cranking the motor I am actually unplugging and plugging the fuel pump back in untill it starts and yes it stays pegged all the time but when the problem started the speedo was normal and everything was normal.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
473 Posts
Sounds like either the pump is failing, or the connector isn't always making good connection. I'd try hotwiring the pump circuit at the fuse box, and see if the pump comes on consistently. Try wiggling and gently flexing the harness wires and connector where you've been connecting and disconnecting the pump. If you can make the pump stop working by fiddling with the wires, you've probably got a wiring or connector problem. I'd check that out thoroughly before replacing the pump.

Font Parallel Rectangle Terrestrial plant Pattern

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pump is working I have to unplug and plug it back in because it seems as if it's flooding the motor it will not start with starting fluid neither. I thought it was the pump because the old one had low fuel pressure but this one has great fuel pressure does turn on while cranking acts like it wants to start but will not start unless I unplug the fuel pump and plug it back in. When I do start it runs solid untill I put it in gear then dies it's a automatic. It holds great fuel pressure even after sitting for 2 days. Someone told me it may be the anti theft device but I would figure it would not start at all but I don't know. I'm great with cars but when I get stumped like this it's confuses me it's got all 3 components fuel,spark and air. I know I'm missing something I just cannot figure out what.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
473 Posts
It's not the anti-theft device. When the immobilizer is activated it takes away the injector signal so you wouldn't be able to get the engine to start at all, even it you hotwired the fuel pump to be always on.

When you get the engine to start and shift into drive, can you keep the engine running if you hold the brake with your left foot and apply a little gas with your right? If so, that points to your IAC not working right.

Have you tried cranking the starter and holding the gas pedal down, like you'd do for a flooded carburetor? If it starts, that would support your theory about flooding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the pedal on the gas and brakes pushed the car will run for a few seconds the bog Down and die no it will not start with the gas pedal floored it will act like it wants to start but won't. I am trying to figure out if there may be a bad part with one of the vacuums EGR, EGR sensor, vacuum control or fuel pressure regulator on visual inspection they look great I am hard of hearing so can not hear any leaks but a few people have said they do by the throttle body somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts