Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've had this eclipse for about 6 months now, and it's always had idling issues. I recently replaced the idle air control valve, and it got very, very bad. On startup, it idles at around 3000 rpm, and settles at 2000 after ~5 minutes. Anytime the wheels are spinning and the clutch is in or it's in neutral, the idle bounces between 2000 and 2500. I've smoked my intake and found nothing, and I'm starting to run out of ideas for what it could be.

I've been thinking it's a throttle position sensor maybe? My cruise control light comes on but it doesn't work, so maybe that has something to do with it.

If anybody can help me figure out what the problem is, I'd really appreciate it. Reddit has been useless, so I figured I'd come to the experts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
698 Posts
You have a large vacuum leak somewhere between the cylinder head and the throttle body. The 2.4 steel intake is known for cracking behind the throttle body flange so you may want to look that over first and then check all vacuum lines. The idle air control can't compensate for a vacuum leak that large so your idle will be very high like you're stating. Also your cruise control runs off vacuum so it can't engage if it can't build vacuum. I bet you have really weak brake assist too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have a large vacuum leak somewhere between the cylinder head and the throttle body. The 2.4 steel intake is known for cracking behind the throttle body flange so you may want to look that over first and then check all vacuum lines. The idle air control can't compensate for a vacuum leak that large so your idle will be very high like you're stating. Also your cruise control runs off vacuum so it can't engage if it can't build vacuum. I bet you have really weak brake assist too.
if it does end up being a cracked intake manifold, does that mean a replacement? Or is there some fix for it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts