Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

So my car shut off at a stoplight while I was attempting to take off. It started back up afterwards but sounded horrible so I instantly cut it back off and got it towed home. Now it won't start at all, keeps cranking but won't turn over. A couple of days prior, I had replaced the hydraulic tensioner for the timing belt because it was making some god-awful noise. Put everything back together that day, it wouldn't start, figured out that the timing was off. Got it in perfect timing, put everything back together, and she started right up. Test drove it for about 30 minutes to make sure all was well and everything seemed to check out, ran better than she had in years. Also took off the IAC valve at that time and cleaned it since it was idling slightly lower than normal, which did the trick. Just thought I'd mention that in case it has anything to do with my current issue. Anyway, when it comes to trying to diagnose what's going on, I've changed out the crankshaft pulley sensor, tested for compression and fire to the plugs, switched out the IAC valve with one off a junker just to see if that was causing the problem, made sure all the fuses and relays in both boxes were good, sprayed starter fluid in case its a fuel issue. I'm kind of at a loss of what it could be at this point and am hoping someone on here could help me out.

Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
any codes? what were your compression readings?

If you have compression, spark and fuel (starting fluid) it should run...I'd have to think something is wrong with the tensioner/timing belt/timing but good compression would indicate that was not the problem, maybe a security issue? Weird...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No codes. Compression readings hit around 150-160.
Rechecked the timing, belt is in good shape and tight, timing is TDC.
Ended up replacing the fuel pump, but that's made no difference.
Any ideas on how to fix a security issue?
Would a massive vacuum leak cause it not to start? The cruise control went out years ago due to one, not sure if the problem was just gotten worse since then or something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts