Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I lost my ignition key & had another one made & programmed for my 03 Eclipse but, I found my old key how can I use this key again

·
Registered
783 Posts
Well, it's an old car so it's going to make some ticking noises. Lifter tick is a thing with these cars. If it's not super loud I'd ignore it.

Your old key can be reprogrammed to work again if it doesn't work right now. Go to a key place or the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
While idling my 03 Eclipse makes a ticking noise help
I am actually dealing with the same thing on my 2000 Eclipse GT. Mitsubishi put these awesome thing on the lifter called lash adjusters. They its basically a hole with a ball in it as a bearing and it fills with oil as the lifters go up and releases oil when it goes down and the ball/bearing is pressed in. Over time the ball/bearing builds up with crude and the ball/bearing doesn't press in like it should. Which in turn caused the tap or ticking. It is a common problem that gets often mis-diagnosed. Hopefully this helps in your case. If you could give a little more info as to if the tapping or ticking fades after it reaches its max temp? Or if the tapping continues? Let us know if anything makes it quieter or if there's anything that makes it worse? Stuff like that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
While idling my 03 Eclipse makes a ticking noise help
This is a very common issue for these cars and there is no real long term solution. When I start my 2001 3.0 L it often (but not always) makes a loud ticking noise, especially during cold outside temperatures. To alleviate this, I let it run for 15 seconds and then turn the engine off for about 30 seconds. When restarting, the ticking is usually gone. It may take a couple attempts, but this works the best. If I just leave the car running after starting it with the ticking sound, it will continue to make the noise for several minutes and several miles. Adding SeaFoam to the oil has helped diminish the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts