Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

2004 Eclipse GTS 3.0 V6 Camshaft Position Sensor Problems

34K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  GTSDriver2003 
#1 ·
ANY AND ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

For a little background on the situation. I own a 2004 Misubishi Eclipse, 3.0, V6 approx. 162,000 mi. I've recently drove it back to Michigan from Camp Lejeune North Carolina. no problems at all. Once back i replaced the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner. the car started up and ran smooth. about 5 miles down the road it died out. restarted, and died out yet again. this time the engine wouldn't restart. the error code i got was for the crankshaft position sensor. at this point i wasn't getting spark so i decided to go ahead and change it. the car started right now without any problems. about 2 miles down the road the car died again and this time i'm getting a camshaft sensor malfunction error code. after researching a couple old forums i've come to the conclusion that the camshaft position sensor is built into the distributor for the 2002-2005 V6 models. does anyone know if this is correct? and if so does this mean my problem should be fixed by replacing the Distributor?? Please Help!??

#3 ·
Well mine won't start. It turns over just fine and I'm getting the camshaft position sensor code. Just haven't found the solution. Got a new distributor on order so I hope that fixes my problem. Never had any issue before I replaced the timing belt. Wish I would've just left it alone. Any feedback here is greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
Can I see this sensor wire just by opening the hood. Months ago a member and I replaced some gaskets and forgot to reattach something to the manifold and hsortly thereafter I found a wire that had been rubbing on a belt and getting worn down through the outer casing. Is this a possible cause for my crankshaft sensor code? Even if this happened months ago.

#5 ·
Ok good. Thanks for the help. The new distributor should be here for me to install tomorrow so hopefully that does the trick. I haven't taken a look at the crankshaft sensor to see if it had gotten frayed by the belt. Prior to installing the new crank position sensor I wasn't getting spark so after it died out again i checked for spark so I just assumed it was ok. Will post results after new distributor is installed. If that doesn't fix the problem then ill be back at square one

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#11 ·
Definately sounds like a crank position wire got damaged by timing belt or accessory. Only other thing I can think if with the cam position sensor is the timing isn't 100% lined up. It's possible for it to still run with 1 tooth off esp with bank one (rear bank) being off thereby throwing the code (computer senses cam position where it shouldn't be). I know it sucks, but I'd double check timing and while you're in there, inspect wiring for crank position sensor.

#13 ·
I believe it could, yes, and even "appear" to run smoothly at idle. Did you get it up in rpms and shift through gears under good power? My brother had an old Ford pickup and he once changed the wires on it, placing them all one position off. Truck still ran, but like shit. Now a 3g isn't an old Ford, but the ecm will try to make the car run. Did you tension the belt properly? Are you 100% sure it's tensioned properly? I'd still check it. You won't bend any valves if it's 1 tooth off but you won't get anywhere on fixing the problem until you rule it out imho. I know it's a bitch but you've already had it all apart before so it'll be cake this time. Check your dizzy plug and harness wiring for damage/corrosion, etc too.

#17 ·
i just did the distributer, plugs, wires, crank sensor, valve cover gaskets casue i had the crank and cam sensor codes and the car ran like shit but after all that replaced it runs great but i can get the damn check engine light to clear with the codes on..

#21 ·
Are you SURE that your're sure that you have the correct distributor (reluctor)? I ask only because I have only just recently replaced my own distributor with a new one from a reputable supplier. The part number was matched to the the vehicle on the box as well as physically on the part, however the sensor wheel inside was the wrong one.

#23 ·
bad crank sensor???

01 Eclipse GT v6 when I turn key on no fuel pump and none of the lights on dash come on and it doesn't even crank over like the keys isn't even on... It had been making loud popping like back fire and shutting down in middle of road... Will a bad crank sensor cause it not to turn over at all???

#28 ·
Rule out one thing at a time. First, you have established it has fire, next is fuel. A fuel pressure gauge set and check per Tearstone manual. You can check at the fuel pressure regulator on the end of the fuel rail. Let us know what pressure you get. Have you checked the timing belt?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.