Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

For the second consecutive year, a car from GM has taken top honors in the North American Car and Truck of the Year (NACTOY) awards, as announced yesterday at the opening of the North American International Auto Show.

The Chevrolet Malibu was chosen by this year's media jury from a field of 15 cars and 13 trucks. GM vehicles captured four of the final six candidate spots for the awards; last year the Saturn AURA and Chevrolet Silverado were winners.

"This award is the result of our intensive efforts to put a renewed emphasis on design, execution and craftsmanship into our cars and trucks," said Bob Lutz, GM vice chairman. "We're honored that both automotive journalists and consumers are recognizing our efforts. The fact we had four of the six finalist vehicles is more than we could have hoped for."

The NACTOY awards are given annually by prominent automotive journalists who evaluate the vehicles on factors including value for the dollar, innovation, handling, performance, safety and driver satisfaction. This year's jury consisted of 45 automotive journalists from throughout the U.S. and Canada.

"Our goal with the 2008 Malibu was to give customers a stylish, uncompromising package that can challenge even the most formidable competitors in the midsize segment," said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. "Customers are getting that message, because the new Malibus are selling faster than we can put them on dealers' lots."

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
The nose or snout, or whatever it is on the front end looks like an afterthought. The front overhang from the side view looks ridiculous too. :sweat:

·
BCS = t3h suck
1,393 Posts
first off, I actually like the redesigned Malibu.

avg time on the dealer lot = 26 hrs. That's all im concerned with Mr negative.

That won't last long. GM tends to flood the market and I can't see that this will be any different.

·
Premium Member
24,873 Posts
I first saw this car at the Denver Auto Show last year, and it was incredibly striking in person. I was stunned to see the Malibu nameplate on it; I thought it was a redesigned Impala, to be honest.

...That's about the highest compliment I think I can come up with.

·
Wanna be my Sheep?
8,255 Posts
My mother-in-law almost bought one this past weekend, she absolutely loves the car. I have a feeling she'll be getting one in the next couple weeks, although I do think 22k for the 4 banger is pricey

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dad just picked up a black one while I was home visiting for xmas. I had to laugh, because usually my discount garners at least 3-5k off and for the malibu it was $113. :lol: They said cause it was so new and in short demand.

·
BCS = t3h suck
1,393 Posts
My dad just picked up a black one while I was home visiting for xmas. I had to laugh, because usually my discount garners at least 3-5k off and for the malibu it was $113. :lol: They said cause it was so new and in short demand.
That seems kinda shitty to me. As an employee, I can still get $400 above dealer cost on a Toyota regardless of how well they are selling. When the Prius was a difficult car to buy I was easily able to purchase one for my father in law and at substantial savings.

·
Bicoastal Traveler
8,555 Posts
"last year the Saturn AURA and Chevrolet Silverado were winners. "

They must have something if they can win with virtually the same car under 2 names. :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That seems kinda shitty to me. As an employee, I can still get $400 above dealer cost on a Toyota regardless of how well they are selling. When the Prius was a difficult car to buy I was easily able to purchase one for my father in law and at substantial savings.
eh, it was explained to me that the company prefers to let outside customers have a shot before internal customers and the low manufacturer discount will be limited for the first 6 mo. of sale.

·
BCS = t3h suck
1,393 Posts
eh, it was explained to me that the company prefers to let outside customers have a shot before internal customers and the low manufacturer discount will be limited for the first 6 mo. of sale.

sorry man, that sounds like code for we need to make some profit before we discount these heavily for our associates.

·
Symetrical AWD
11,216 Posts
My umm... mother in-law? Whatever I call my brother in-law's mom... I took her car shopping last summer and for her budget of under $25k (under 22k preferred) I couldn't find a new car that was a better than the Saturn Aura. Which is basically the new Malibu, right? Honda tried to sell us an Accord LX, Hyundai Sonata was poop, and nothing to do with the Altima so much as the dealership, but Nissan was full of assholes... So she got the Saturn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts