Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my mom is looking for a truck, and she decided to get the 08 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie turbo diesel. And its a tank. We are getting black with black leather interior. It is a quad cab, it has a 6.7 Cummins, fully loaded with a sun-roof. CD player/mp3 player, DVD, navigation system. Im not too sure about how much torque and HP it makes...

And best of all....its a 6-speed

We will use it mostly to haul stuff back and forth to my moms business, haul our dirtbikes, and haul my parents harleys....

She is ordering it monday or tuesday and we will have it friday if they can loacate one at another dealerhsip, or we will have to wait a couple weeks if we have to get it from Dodge itself (i didnt really understand that, but thats what they said)

My mom said within 6 months we will have a lift, chrome steps, Stacks, we will chip it, new rims, bigger tires, and probaly some other stuff as well.

and she is also putting a 4 inch lift, black rims, big tires, brushguard, and exhaust on our trailblazer for me to drive in the winter...lol

Let me know everyones opinions good or bad

·
Waffle House > *
1,764 Posts
He'll do better than 4mpg. Im getting 20mpg (without leadfoot) in my truck and ive got a 4inch lift on 35's with an old powerstroke diesel.

IMO, the cummins is a great engine, but Ive never been to fond of Dodge's (or chevy's) interior quality/finish. Also, Im not sure how the DPF will work with an aftermarket ehaust. Good truck though!

·
Not a newb
41 Posts
STOP! Do NOT get a new one with the 6.7. Save your Mom a ton of money and get a used one. A new one will run $45K, and you can save $20K by getting one that is 2 years old.
The 5.9s are a much better engine. The particulate filter is killing the aftermarket as well. Only a small handful of companies are even making a box for the 6.7. The 5.9 has more than you can imagine.

I have a 2002 CTD with the 6 speed. It shifts like a dumptruck. Get an auto.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted my mom to get an 2005 Chevy, but she wont get a used truck, she wants something big, and it gets 20 mpg highway, so im expecting a little less after bigger tires and lift.........

And at least i talked her out of getting a Tundra....and i really liked the Dodge Power Wagons but this diesel is awesome....

and I will take the 6 speed for a test drive before we get it, my mom can drive one, but i am pretty good so if it shifts like a dump truck then we will get the automatic

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My mom talked 2 people at her work today and a few people told her that the trannys are junk and the motor is not all that reliable......so now she doesnt want it.

She told me we r gonna look at fords (I hate fords except for the olders style) So i dno WTF she is doing.....

·
is on a fitness kick
11,748 Posts
If GM hadn't made all their shit look so TERRIBLE, I'd say go look at the Hd diesel line. You can still get a newish/used model that looks good. Ford would be my second choice, and in all honesty, I'd never consider Dodge.

·
Not a newb
41 Posts
My mom talked 2 people at her work today and a few people told her that the trannys are junk and the motor is not all that reliable......so now she doesnt want it.

She told me we r gonna look at fords (I hate fords except for the olders style) So i dno WTF she is doing.....

They apparently don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with buying used, unless you like pissing your money away. CTDs are the best, most reliable motor in the 1-ton truck category. Period.

As an example, my friend is selling his 04 CTD, Quadcab 4x4. It's tuned very nicely, has billet parts in the tranny, upgraded turbo. $27,500. It'll outrun most any truck you find and half the hotrods around. Yet it still gets 18mpg and can tow a house.

Go here and research:

Turbo Diesel Register
Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Dodge-Diesel.Org - Diesel Truck Resource - Home

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, you say there is nothing wrong with buying used.....

As i stated my mom dont want anything used, she wants NEW, she works hard, owns rental property, works, and owns her own business so she can get what ever she wants. And she just doesnt want somethin that someone else has done who knows what to.

·
Not a newb
41 Posts
Ok, you say there is nothing wrong with buying used.....

As i stated my mom dont want anything used, she wants NEW, she works hard, owns rental property, works, and owns her own business so she can get what ever she wants. And she just doesnt want somethin that someone else has done who knows what to.

It's still dumb. :nuts: I work hard too.

Does she even NEED a diesel truck? Does she tow? With diesel at $3.60 a gallon, buying one and not need it is equally dumb.

If she'd dead fawking set on a new vehicle, find an 07.5 Dodge with the 5.9

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She dont really NEED a diesel but when we get our trailer and car hauler we will use it every week.

Im getting a 4cylinder derby car and im startin 2 build a mud truck, we haul dirtbikes and 4wheelers, and we will use it 2 haul my parents harleys. And im always takin 2 the scrap yard

·
Patriot Performance
3,457 Posts
Your family apparently has more money than brains. So my opinion is get what ever makes you happy. No ones opinion here is going to mean shit. Here is mine anyways.

New truck. totally pointless. I bought my 05 3500 Quad cab, 4x4 6 spd Cummins dually for $30,000 with 50,000 miles on it. I have the origianly sticker with a price tag of right under $50,000! You would have to be stupid to go buy a new one at that price.

Diesel for your moms needs. Pointless. Its a power trip. She will never use it to it potential. Your just wasting money at the pump. I spend upwards of 400-500 a month on fuel.

6.7 Cummins. Great motor with tons of potential. Too bad the EPA got there hands all over it and covered it up with emissions equipment. Kiss your fuel millage good buy. Get a 5.9 Most reliable light truck engine out there. Its proven itself plenty of times over.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts