Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Autoblog said:

We didn't think we would get a glimpse of it until January at the Detroit Auto Show, but Jalopnik has obtained official photographs of the LS9 V8 that will power the 2009 ZR1 Corvette. The images show that the LS9 is a supercharged version of the 6.2L LS3 V8 like we previously reported. One photo also illustrates in detail a unique integrated twin intercooler that sits atop the supercharger. While it may not have the official name, the blue accents on the engine cover hint at the "Blue Devil" moniker by which we referred the car for some time before switching to the official ZR1 name. While specifications haven't been released yet (we're guessing it will offer somewhere in the neighborhood of 650 HP), just seeing the images of the LS9 gets us even more excited for the ZR1's official debut in January.

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
why would they switch to the 6.2 instead of sticking to a blown version of the current ZO6 powerplant? :scratch:

·
Premium Member
24,873 Posts
The beauty of this thing is how compact the integrated supercharger/intercooler/intake manifold is.

Even more beautiful is that as far as anyone knows, the LS9 is more or less simply a supercharged LS3. So anyone who bought an '08 LS3 Corvette (or any other current LSX variant) is looking at a direct bolt-on piece to make ZR1 power.

That's sex.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
The beauty of this thing is how compact the integrated supercharger/intercooler/intake manifold is.

Even more beautiful is that as far as anyone knows, the LS9 is more or less simply a supercharged LS3. So anyone who bought an '08 LS3 Corvette (or any other current LSX variant) is looking at a direct bolt-on piece to make ZR1 power.

That's sex.
THat's a good point, bolt on power from the factory. :ndance:

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
well it would also give them more headroom. bring it out with 600-650hp and when the viper jumps to 700 they just bump the vette up. :dunno:
It's always a race between the Vette and Viper. I could see that true. Bump the timing and cams on the Vette and its upgrade ready for next gen Viper. Could be possible.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
why would they switch to the 6.2 instead of sticking to a blown version of the current ZO6 powerplant? :scratch:
The bore thickness is less on the 7.0L, so there were concerns about reliability under boost with thinner cylinder walls, hence the smaller-bored 6.2L.

·
AmericanMuscle
438 Posts
wow. how quickly my 04Z06 is aging.....I wonder if my wife would leave me if.........Ah hell, I'd need another job for that thing! But B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
As in the LS1? :drool:
You'd need to swap the heads to a square-port LS3/L92 style head, instead of the cathedral port of the LS1/LS2 style. But then yeah, then it'd probably bolt right up. May need to relocate some accessories. Looks like it may even fit under the cowl of the F-bodies.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts