Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Dodge Ram pickup trucks

The next generation of Dodge Ram 1500 pickups, are set to debut in the 2009 model year. I have been hearing some interesting things from different sources about the new Ram 1500 lineup. One of my sources said that Ralph Gilles and his team are getting away from the “big-rig” styling that we all love, and going towards a new design similar to the pattern of the newer Dodge truck lineup are fallowing. Styling that will be similar to the design theme used on the new Dodge Nitro, Dodge Hornet Concept, and Dodge Rampage Concept.

Mr. Gilles told the press that the next generation of Ram will be more aerodynamic and have a more luxurious car-like interior. Using the aerodynamic theme, the Gilles’ gang is looking at making the pickup have more of a cab forward design. A design statement Chrysler Group created in the mid-1990s and is now trying to get away from. The bold fender flares of the Nitro, Hornet Concept, and Rampage Concept, allow for a wider track and make it possible to push the vehicle’s wheels out to the corners, making it possible to provide better handling.

New engines will debut in the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The word is that the 3.7L V6 will be dropped and be replaced with the 4.0L V6 from the Nitro. The engine will produce 270 horsepower, putting it in from of the standard engine from the rest of the manufacturers. The 4.7L V8 will get huge updates for the 2008 model year. Power should be pushed up to 300 horsepower [current spec is 290 for 2008 Dakota, and that's what we now expect] for the new Ram 1500. [Another rumor has the 3.7 V6 being replaced by a four liter Phoenix engine, but we don’t know if they can finish the factory and put it into production in time.]

A new version of the HEMI V8 in the Ram 1500 will debut in 2009. It will grow slightly in displacement, probably to a 5.9L or 6.1L configuration. The new engine will feature next generation MDS, a 3-valve per cylinder configuration [which some argue would make it not a true Hemi], and variable valve timing. The new HEMI should put out best in class power (somewhere around the 400 horsepower mark). Towing capacity should be over 10,500 lb. Engines should be equipped with 6-speed automatics, as well as the two lesser engines with 6-speed manual transmissions.

Dodge wants their pickups back on top of the market and since it’s Chrysler Group’s best selling vehicle, they will do whatever they can to put the Ram 1500 in front of the rest of the half-ton pickup lineup. Dodge will have a bunch of configurations and trims available on the pickups during its release. Expect three cab configurations, two bed lengths, and four trim packages.

Dodge will also release a two-mode hybrid version of the Ram 1500 for the 2010 model year. The hybrid will only feature the new HEMI engine.

·
is on a fitness kick
11,748 Posts
It looks very "Dodge." I must say, I like that (At first glance) better than I do the current design.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I don't like it. I like the current "big rig" look of the current rams. Its a truck its supposed to be aggressive looking, not aerodynamic and luxurious.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Good call.

And I'll keep my 2nd Gen (2002). I hope to God they don't bring that sissified thing to the real truck class (3/4 and 1-tons). My 2nd gen feels, sounds, and drives like a truck. :worship:
I miss my 2nd gen. although I am probably buying another one next yr. stupid gas mileage problems.

1500 4x4 Quad Cab, short bed, Off road package. I got between 9 and 12mpg depending ont he skinny pedal.

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
I think it looks like ass, but what do I know.

Reactions: Fergie

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I like that truck alot but hate the color....
:rofl:

That's a nice truck, I'm more eager to hear about the variable system they're putting into the Hemi. Now, I know most of the die-hard Dodge fans may not like this, but there's always options, atleast they're trying out new technology..

·
I can haz footballz?
8,009 Posts
Eh it looks too much like an F-150 to me.(at least boxy wise) I like the engine upgrade though. My dad has owned an 04 and now he owns an 06. I like the interior on the 04(seats much more comfortable) but styling wise, the 06 looks better. The new styling looks like ass compared to both the 04 and the 06 models.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First Peek: 2009 Dodge Ram R/T

You know those videos that sometimes automatically start playing when you visit automaker websites? You know how you usually click right past them? Sometimes, they're worth paying attention to. If you visit to the 2009 Dodge Ram website, you're treated to a tour of the truck by Ralph Gilles and Mark Allen. Before the design guys give their spiel, however, you get a very brief glimpse of a poster showing '09 Ram body styles and options/accessories. There, clear as day, is a shot of the forthcoming Ram R/T.

When the new Ram was initially unveiled, PickupTrucks.com confirmed that the R/T was indeed on the way. Word at the time was that the R/T would be a standard-cab, 4x2, short-bed truck with a HEMI, 5-speed auto, and a 4.10 rear axle ratio. As you can see in the photo at right, the truck gets a monochrome treatment (a la the Ram Sport), a deep chin spoiler, and a hood reminiscent of the one used on the Challenger R/T and SRT8. As PickupTrucks.com reported, expect the Ram R/T's powertrain combo to deliver a sub-7 second 0-60 time. It'll be interesting to see the R/T's marketplace reception, given that gas prices are likely to continue climbing for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately for Chrysler, it's a less-than-perfect environment for welcoming a new performance-oriented truck. Nothing a little cash on the hood and a locked-in gas price can't fix, right?
I'd love to see what kind of gas mileage this thing gets.

·
My penis is bigger
18,824 Posts
I've always wanted them to build a 4x4 version of the R/T truck. I know you can get all the options for it, but a specialized package kind of like the FX2 Ford or whatever it was.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More information and pictures of the R/T.

While our guys were out autocrossing the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 and Viper ACR last week, Mike Levine (Yes, the same Mike Levine who tried to stuff himself into a RamBox) was doing his pickup thing over in another area of Chrysler's proving grounds in Chelsea, MI. On hand was the new 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 R/T, which we haven't had a chance to see until now. The '09 Ram R/T will pull up to the line with a 5.7L HEMI V8 tuned to 390 horsepower and 407 pound-feet of torque and a 5-speed AutoStick transmission, as well as a host of exterior upgrades including a new front bumper, blacked out grille, dual exhaust, chrome 5-spoke wheels and body-color everything. The amazing thing is that the engine will scoot this short-box, two-wheel drive truck to 60 mph in less than six seconds, according to Chrysler. If that sounds a little too good to be true for a pickup with less than 400 horsepower, credit should go to the "loose" torque converter that allows less slip compared to a normal automatic. The shifts are more aggressive than in a normal Ram and the unique torque converter does degrade fuel economy a bit, but that should be none of your concern by nature of the fact that you're interested in a sport truck to begin with.

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
Not bad. It has almost as much HP and TQ as my 6.1 but it needs something in the appearence catagory. I'm just not sure what.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts