Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks,

So...what do you get when you combine the not-at-fault crash of a great-condition Spyder, the generous payout of an insurance company, and a motivated executive looking to unload his previous commuter car?

You get this:

That's right, a 2009 VW Jetta TDI with 150,000 miles on it, loaded to the tits and for less than $9,000. :eek:

This thing is perfect! I couldn't be happier with it.

It's number 982, and as one of the first 1200 made, is one of a select few "Loyalty Edition" Jettas.

I tell you this: I will never purchase another gasser. This car is ridiculously fun to drive, gets friggin bad-ass mileage (I'm talking 35mpg+ while flooring it all the time!) and when you want it to, can easily get 45mpg on the highway.

Here's a few shots (and some of the kiddies too :D)

My daughter LOVES this car:

Naturally, I've got plans...but they're not big.

- debadge the 'Jetta' and 'TDI' from the rear
- tint the windows, 35% all the way around
- 18x8 BBS wheels, hoping to find some RS reps if I can...
- Coilovers for a 1.5" drop
- Stereo (of course...)
- fix the front lip where I busted it when loading it on the tow dolly :doh:
- tint the tail lights
- replace the right rear tail light because the PO cracked it after he sold it to me, before I picked it up
- replace the battery
- big-3
- sunroof visor
- Malone DSG tune for the transmission
- Malone Stage 2 ECU tune (with DPF...not going to remove that yet) to bump HP from 133hp/225lb-ft to about 163hp/295lb-ft

That's about it...I'm going to be using this car to commute with, so I don't want to go too crazy with it.

Anyway, I'm totally LOVING this car. :yesway::yesway:

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After a few weeks of checking out the trunk, and planning different configurations for the stereo install, I've decided on this:

Replace the factory head unit with an AudioSources AMS-810 unit. This is the company that makes the head units for VW/Skoda so it integrates perfectly with the stock VW computer, retains all functionality, but yet gives me line-level outputs and other fun aftermarket tuning options too. Oh...and it has a built-in GPS, complete with upgradable maps. :D

After that, I'm going to replace the stock door speakers with Audible Physics 3.5" and 6.5" speakers, running active. I have yet to determine what I'm going to power these with, because I don't really like the RE amp I had in my spyder, however I will likely continue using that amp until I find a replacement. Processing will be handled by my JBL MS-8.

For the sub stage, I'm using the SSA Icon 10" and my Sundown 1200D from my spyder. The SSA will get a new slot-port box tuned to 30Hz. Oh...lookie here!

I've already cut all the pieces, I just have to glue them together! :D

I also purchased 2 50' rolls of 0-AWG oxygen-free cabling from DIY Mobile Audio, when they had their 70% off fire sale. :woot: so that's going to get installed too.

I will keep my build log here, because I'm loyal like that. 3G for lyfe.

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sound system's gonna be dope. Never heard of Audio Physics though, I gotta look them up. Congrats on the purchase!
Thanks...Whoops..I screwed up the name...it's Audible Physics, not Audio Physics. :facepalm: AP's are not well known, but are high-end SQ speakers that LOVE a ton of power. Right up my alley. :hbang:

Did some more work on the box tonight...will have some pics to upload tomorrow. :D
Remember to get a flat bill hat and camber as much as possible.
:ugh2:
I think I smell some fender rolling as well

But damn I love white vw' s

Nice find
Thanks...but no fender rolling here. A slight drop to reduce the gap, but not much more...I want to keep a mostly stock feel to the ride or my wife will kill me. :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts

·
54,396 Posts
If we followed badges to the T, an RS eclipse would be considered road/rally/race sport, or whatever the hell it means. :lol: :fawk:
Makes sense with the rest of the Chrysler lineup. Ever seen a Jeep Cherokee Sport? BASE MODEL.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts