Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
New Rider
13,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is on the list for most desired phones this year?

The Nexus 6 and Note 4 are in my sights, but I think I will go for the 6 unless something promising comes up very soon. I just do not think I will use the stylus on the Note 4, which many say if you do not intend on using it, it is not a stand out device and I agree.

I think screen resolution when it comes to PPI and quad HD displays are more of a "look what I have" thing more than worthwhile usable tech. Storage for that 4k movie on your device is crazy, and to me is kind of pointless.

I think advances will be made mostly in battery life and CPU efficiency. And unless companies go back to offering unlimited data with no throttling, that superfast cell data signal is also kind of a letdown.

Wearables? Meh. Battery life. I think all awesome portable communication devices will be hampered by this.

·
New Rider
13,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As am I. Even the clunky prototype is pretty cool.

·
Registered
213 Posts
What's a modular phone? lol

I was looking at the Nexus 6 for a while. And then a friend of mine got the LG G3 phone or whatever with the 5 and a half inch display, and holy screen size that thing is fckin huge. I couldn't imagine another .4 inches of display. Way too big for me, so I settled with the Galaxy S5 Active. I also work at a call center for Goog, and receiving so many calls about the Nexus 4, 5, and 6 made it hard to pull the trigger.

·
New Rider
13,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I generally have good experiences with tech. I am completely happy with my S5 Active. Also have a first gen Nexus 7 with Lollipop on it and it works flawlessly. Battery life is amazing. Maybe I just don't ever drop my devices.

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,300 Posts
I just upgraded my phone a month ago. I went from an HTC Droid DNA to a Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon). It's going to be two years till my next upgrade :lol: I went with the S5 because I needed to upgrade two phones and it was free from VZ with a "free" 8" tablet.

What do you guys have?

·
V8 > 3G
2,705 Posts
Still rocking the S5 here. Screen size is too big for my liking and I've yet to put any sort of case on it. I just don't like the inability to reach the upper left portion of the screen with my thumb. This summer I'll be moving into something smaller.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I generally have good experiences with tech. I am completely happy with my S5 Active. Also have a first gen Nexus 7 with Lollipop on it and it works flawlessly. Battery life is amazing. Maybe I just don't ever drop my devices.
Damn still have good battery life and no issues when updating to L? That's impressive. I would constantly get calls about the 2012 version bricking when lollipop was updated. Same with the nexus 4 and 5.

·
"I dunno" guy
2,555 Posts
It's already out and in prototype stage. Google jumped on it.
And Google will see why Windows sucks so much. Bad enough that the only way manufacturers differentiate their phone by putting skins on the OS. If they're relegated to just commodity hardware manufacturers, they'll go do something else. Samsung's already primed for it trying to push their own OS out for their hardware. Who's going to churn out the drivers for the devices? How are users going to install them? It'll be a nightmare and a total market gimme to Apple and Windows.

·
New Rider
13,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn still have good battery life and no issues when updating to L? That's impressive. I would constantly get calls about the 2012 version bricking when lollipop was updated. Same with the nexus 4 and 5.
I rooted it when I first got it too. Then had Google launcher on it for a long time. Went 5.0 then back to factory with Nova launcher. Works perfectly. I guess it is a fluke.

·
Administrator
16,321 Posts
And Google will see why Windows sucks so much. Bad enough that the only way manufacturers differentiate their phone by putting skins on the OS. If they're relegated to just commodity hardware manufacturers, they'll go do something else. Samsung's already primed for it trying to push their own OS out for their hardware. Who's going to churn out the drivers for the devices? How are users going to install them? It'll be a nightmare and a total market gimme to Apple and Windows.
You must not of read anything about it at all. Google project ara. Get to reading.

·
"I dunno" guy
2,555 Posts
You must not of read anything about it at all. Google project ara. Get to reading.
I know about it. Heck I have an NDA for it. It's a great project but unless Google wants to get to manufacturing, you're not going to see it mass marketed anytime soon. The final iteration of mobile communication is going to be having the antenna stuck in our heads and our brains being the processor. You just watch :)

Take a look at Open Compute Platform. It's an open source reference compute platform for various infrastructure systems. How many actually utilize that? There's a whole lot of certification procedure to get certified to run on OCP. You buy anything that isn't on that list, you are unsupported. Do you think you're really going to have that many choices as to what you plug into your phone? Think about the software integration.

·
"I dunno" guy
2,555 Posts
Because there is no money in making just the hardware. You become marginalized and it's a race to the bottom. Just ask the server makers. That's why every Android phone out there have a different UI. The manufacturer is trying to "add value" to their offering and differentiate itself from others.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts