Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Right now Im going through a tough decision wondering if I should trade/sell my car for a 2G DSM. I use to own one, fell in love, then lost it. Since then Ive owned a couple cars but out of all the cars Ive owned my TSI was the easiest to repair/modify. One idea of mine was to build a 6-bolt engine from scratch, starting out only with a bare 6-bolt block and when my engine becomes complete find a 2G that someone blew up for dirt cheap and throw my engine in. This option would allow me to keep my car but I wont have the DSM for a while. My second option is to sell the car and just buy a stock 2G. Whats holding me back is that the 2G's are 9-13 years old so the engine is just one of the things that could be wrong with the car. What do you guys think?

·
Ass To Mouth
6,271 Posts
Doing the engine idea is probably a better idea if you're set on doing this. That way you still have reliable transportation. Hell, by the time you get around to buying the DSM, you might actually be able to afford to keep your RT also. You never know.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Doing the engine idea is probably a better idea if you're set on doing this. That way you still have reliable transportation. Hell, by the time you get around to buying the DSM, you might actually be able to afford to keep your RT also. You never know.
I think the only reason I want to buy the whole car now is because I want to stop dropping money into my RT :drunk:. Im just worried that if I build an engine, by the time Im looking for a shell I wont be able to find anything around me and the fact that their not made anymore. I cant even count how many times a day I hear about someone crashing their DSM :(.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
The ONLY reason you should do it - is an alternate car/hobby. If you make it your primary vehicle, you're setting yourself up to have issues.

Pick a car to use daily for work, errands, etc. and use whatever you want as a toy.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The ONLY reason you should do it - is an alternate car/hobby. If you make it your primary vehicle, you're setting yourself up to have issues.

Pick a car to use daily for work, errands, etc. and use whatever you want as a toy.
Well the thing is Im a college student and wont be able to keep 2 cars. Im either going to have to sell my car and buy a DSM or in a couple months my bro is going to start driving it so I'd pass it on to him while I build an engine to drop into a shell. I just dont want to add more miles to it if it would be better in the end to just sell it.

modding a daily driver is never a good thing.
Not true, it depends on how you mod and using quality parts. Im probably going to replica my previous setup which was just mild boost. I wont go anything bigger then a 16G until I have another gauranteed reliable DD which probably wont be for a long time.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I kind of gotten really lucky out of nowhere. I found a stock 7-bolt engine for only $350 in good running condition, claims to have around 70K on it and I also found a 95 TSI clean shell with only a blown motor at a used car dealer 2 MINUTES away from my house. He wants $1,000 and Im now trying to get him to go down on it. Any of you guys know how to test the trans? It has a auto trans with a rusted to hell flex plate, so I know that will need to be replaced. If I could prove the trans is done for I could probably get it for a lot cheaper.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
Well the thing is Im a college student
Then you should probably not be putting yourself into a position of having an unreliable car or something with that much maintenance. Stick with what you have until you have the capacity and means to take on something additional without putting your priorities in jeopardy.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Then you should probably not be putting yourself into a position of having an unreliable car or something with that much maintenance. Stick with what you have until you have the capacity and means to take on something additional without putting your priorities in jeopardy.
Well the thing is I know about all the maintenance and how to take care of the car from owning my previous DSM so all the maintenance doesnt worry me. If the car ever goes down theres 3 other cars available at my house I could use for a couple days until I got the car up and running. Now Im thinking of fixing this DSM then cleaning it and selling it to fund my motor build. Im thinking if I build a motor Id know what went into it and the condition of the motor so it would ease my doubts on the reliability of the car.

·
Not the Face!
6,616 Posts
Unless you're planning on building a gutted racer, get a newer chassis than a '95, and get one with a manual tranny. I'd suggest a '99. The older you go, the more ghetto the car's going to be.

Buy newer and you'll stand a better chance of not needing to replace window motors, stereo, upholstery, headliner, antenna, antenna motor, paint, fogged headlights, fogged reverse lights, flakey switches, busted lamps in the dash, cracked dashboard, sandblasted windshield, busted sunroof rail guides, busted sunroof shades, faded seatbelts, worn-out shift knob, worn-out pedal covers, busted shifters, leaking A/C system, tweaked clutch pedal, worn-out ball joints, dirty farted seats, stretched parking brake cable, missing mirrors, altezza taillights, dangling side markers, bubbling tint, missing rear hatch cover, broken horns, cracking, brittle plastic pieces, rust welds...

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unless you're planning on building a gutted racer, get a newer chassis than a '95, and get one with a manual tranny. I'd suggest a '99. The older you go, the more ghetto the car's going to be.

Buy newer and you'll stand a better chance of not needing to replace window motors, stereo, upholstery, headliner, antenna, antenna motor, paint, fogged headlights, fogged reverse lights, flakey switches, busted lamps in the dash, cracked dashboard, sandblasted windshield, busted sunroof rail guides, busted sunroof shades, faded seatbelts, worn-out shift knob, worn-out pedal covers, busted shifters, leaking A/C system, tweaked clutch pedal, worn-out ball joints, dirty farted seats, stretched parking brake cable, missing mirrors, altezza taillights, dangling side markers, bubbling tint, missing rear hatch cover, broken horns, cracking, brittle plastic pieces, rust welds...
Exactly, thats the reason Im contemplating just buying the first clean DSM I see because who knows how many of those things you mentioned are wrong with the car. I plan on going with the 97-99 because of the body styles but I also want to go with a 95 for the chance of getting an Eprom ECU.

·
54,424 Posts

now most cars have funny or positive motivators....DSM's dont :lol:

really, a modified car as a daily driver is asking for trouble unless you have a 2nd car and a nice fat budget.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would definently build a 6 bolt to put into a shell later and keep your car, and this is from a DSMer. A stock 11 year old car is bound to have issues, and even more since its a DSM.
The idea to flip it for cash to start your build is a good idea, because if the engine is blown the car was most likely beat to shit by some teenager that thought you were supposed to shift at the redline.
If i were you i would flip that car, build a 6 bolt or a 2.4 out of a 2g spyder (depending on what you want out of it you could do any combination of the two) build a 2g head, then find a shell and youve got yourself a reliable 350(minimum) daily driver
I plan on doing a 2.1 long-rod and a awd conversion and rebadging my spyder as a gs to have a 300 awhp DD that can rev to 10000 if i built it for it(probably only rev it to 8000), that will be awesome.

Good luck with whatever you do

1 - 17 of 17 Posts