Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 4094 Posts

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Tearstone said:
The 6G74 and 6G72 heads are identical except for the cams and the distributor.
Some of that is true. I was looking thru caps and the blue prints for both cars. The 3.5L had different variations for the heads, more so the ignition systems. The 6G74 from a Diamante used a distributor which is different from the 6G72, however its pretty similar aside small differences. But, the the 6G74 from the Montero Sport used coil pack system, with 3 dual post coils. Now the 6G74 from the early models used a DOHC with coils, the from 01+ it used a SOHC with coils, and 03+ used a SOHC but with a different coil setup from the 01. However, the short block essentially is the same for all the SOHC models. So use the 3.5L short block and the 3G SOHC heads would work.

However, the reason for the 3.5L camshafts is simple enough, different valve clearances and opening and closing, and then the distributor needs to be changed because the 3.5L camshafts have different 'key' design and the 3G distributor would not fit.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Clipse3GT said:
Some of that is true. I was looking thru caps and the blue prints for both cars. The 3.5L had different variations for the heads, more so the ignition systems. The 6G74 from a Diamante used a distributor which is different from the 6G72, however its pretty similar aside small differences. But, the the 6G74 from the Montero Sport used coil pack system, with 3 dual post coils. Now the 6G74 from the early models used a DOHC with coils, the from 01+ it used a SOHC with coils, and 03+ used a SOHC but with a different coil setup from the 01. However, the short block essentially is the same for all the SOHC models. So use the 3.5L short block and the 3G SOHC heads would work.

However, the reason for the 3.5L camshafts is simple enough, different valve clearances and opening and closing, and then the distributor needs to be changed because the 3.5L camshafts have different 'key' design and the 3G distributor would not fit.
I should have specified more clearly, the 6G74 Diamante VRX motor, the heads are identical to our Eclipse 6G72 GT motors. I'm not sure about the Monteros and what they did with those engines in there.

I would surmise that 3.5L camshafts are different because the timing belt has further to travel due to the increased height of the engine. Yes, the distributor is different due to the key in the cam, but aesthetically the distributors are different as well.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
blackgt00 said:
Pardon the interuption but what does this mean?? can we use the VRX motor in our car???
This means that we can use the the 3.5L shortblock in our cars with our heads, but its not a direct swap of sorts there are a few things that have to be relocated or brackets have to be made for.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
VRX Head etc...

From what I have this seems like both engines are very similar and a direct swap would be very possible. :)

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Yes the SOHC 6G74 out of the Diamante is a direct swap. The only thing you run into is changing out the axle bracket in the back.

Diamante guys have been using our 5spd transmissions to do their 5spd swaps for years now.

Another note, is that if you retain the use of the Diamante Plenum you can't use the strut bar anymore, but from what it looks like the GT plenum will still clear with the strut bar still on.

BTW, where are you getting these images from, is it that one thing you were supposed to send me that time :)

Regardless, I can get you guys a great price on full 6G74 engines complete with exhaust intake/exhaust manifolds through one of our guys here in Florida. If anyone is interested, I am currently getting 6G74 CP pistons made and if anyone would like to jump on board for a short or long block let me know.

http://www.diamanteowners.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=82650

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Tearstone said:
Yes the SOHC 6G74 out of the Diamante is a direct swap. The only thing you run into is changing out the axle bracket in the back.

Diamante guys have been using our 5spd transmissions to do their 5spd swaps for years now.

Another note, is that if you retain the use of the Diamante Plenum you can't use the strut bar anymore, but from what it looks like the GT plenum will still clear with the strut bar still on.
Well I am sure you can always purchase a different strut bar. That would clear that obstical.

As far as the axle brackets. Which ones are you talking about?

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Clipse3GT said:
Well I am sure you can always purchase a different strut bar. That would clear that obstical.

As far as the axle brackets. Which ones are you talking about?
The passenger side axle bolts to the mid way to the engine. That axle bracket has a different bolt configuration on the 6G74 vehicles.

·
Lance Corporal
3,953 Posts
Well damn. I was planning on using a VR4 block for my build but now Im thinking about this 3.5L. How far out can this motor be bored? 3.8? 4.0!!!??

And no shit Kris where do you get those breakouts from?? I want!!!

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Okay got it, for those of you wondering what we are talking about look at the diagrams in this post of the axles and look at letter H.

VRX Bracket Kit
MR486921

3G Bracket Kit
MR470020

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
McLarenross said:
Well damn. I was planning on using a VR4 block for my build but now Im thinking about this 3.5L. How far out can this motor be bored? 3.8? 4.0!!!??

And no shit Kris where do you get those breakouts from?? I want!!!
You know you want to do it :)

Dude, just putting the 6G74 in a N/A car makes a world of differnce in power. I was considering just dropping another one in the Galant I have too :lol:

I forsee this being a very popular path for future 3G owners even if your just going the N/A route.

It's best that if you guys want to start doing this, get to the junk yards now because there are 6G74s that these junkyard guys want to get rid of for super cheap. Even if you just do the direct swap it's still waaaaaay more cost effective than even buying an CAI :lol:

·
Lance Corporal
3,953 Posts
No shit man. As the old addage goes, "There is no replacement for cubic inches, except more cubic inches." (I know this isnt strickly true)

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Tearstone said:
You know you want to do it :)

Dude, just putting the 6G74 in a N/A car makes a world of differnce in power. I was considering just dropping another one in the Galant I have too :lol:

I forsee this being a very popular path for future 3G owners.
There is no replacement for displacement.

Russ, this is where it is confusing I know you spoken with Dave. Which bracket do you use. The VRX A/T one in the a 3G Manual?

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Clipse3GT said:
There is no replacement for displacement.

Russ, this is where it is confusing I know you spoken with Dave. Which bracket do you use. The VRX A/T one in the a 3G Manual?
You don't even have to switch the bracket out, you can machine the difference down to get the 3G one to fit, but I'm just saying it's easier just to get the Diamante axle bracket (they are all A/T).

1 - 20 of 4094 Posts