Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Ripp'd 3.5L
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this for a while and have finally came to the conclusion that its time to turbo the Eclipse. I believe I have everything that I need except for the hot side pipes.

Here's a short list of what I have ready to be installed/or already installed

H1C turbocharger
38mm Wastegate (extras: 2.7lbs, 5 lbs, 7 lbs, 10lbs springs)
Generic BOV (dunno the brand, adjustable)
440cc Injectors (wrx injectors....2 sets)
Walboro fuel pump (installed)
Spec stage 2 clutch (installed)
2nd Gen eclipse Intercooler
Ebay aluminum intercooler piping (using non ebay couplers)
2 range colder spark plugs (NGK's)
hoses (vac, oil, fuel etc)
Gauges (oil pressure, fuel pressure, vac/boost)

I have decided that I will be doing a "blow through" set up. I've done my research and I know the pros and cons to what I'm doing. I'll also be Using ECU flash for tuning.

Now that i've shared with you guys what will be going in, I have a few questions. For starters, I haven't heard of anyone here running a oil cooler, Would there be any advantage of running one right before or after the turbo? I have my "theories" as to what some "may" be, but I'm not entirely positive on em.... Another question, Should I run a manual boost controller in my setup rather than just keep switching out the wastegate spring everytime I want to bump it up some?

Other than those questions above, does anyone have any suggestions/advice as to what I should add?

Thanks

·
stupid booster
7,219 Posts
just install a mbc. Its not like your going to always be changing your boost level. Get reliable parts. WHat happens if you get some shitty bov and it leaks. You could end up spending alot more time and money then you wanted. You could run a oil cooler. I was thinking about making some fins or something on our oil pan to grab more air to cool the oil. The spark plugs that you need are bkr7e's.

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
i was talking to LogicGate abouut tuning the v6 for boost and he said that we can scale the injectors with ecuflash but we can't tune for boost. Looks like you have a decent start thus far, the only recomendation i have is to sell the generic parts to a hon-duh owner and get tial units.

·
Ripp'd 3.5L
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was talking to LogicGate abouut tuning the v6 for boost and he said that we can scale the injectors with ecuflash but we can't tune for boost. Looks like you have a decent start thus far, the only recomendation i have is to sell the generic parts to a hon-duh owner and get tial units.
That is not entirely true.....

·
Ripp'd 3.5L
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
just install a mbc. Its not like your going to always be changing your boost level. Get reliable parts. WHat happens if you get some shitty bov and it leaks. You could end up spending alot more time and money then you wanted. You could run a oil cooler. I was thinking about making some fins or something on our oil pan to grab more air to cool the oil. The spark plugs that you need are bkr7e's.
oil cooler it is than.... I'll try and source out a different BOV. I do agree with you, I believe a MBC is in order for this setup.

For the spark plug gap, do you have any suggestions as to what I should gap it to? I was thinkin of gapping them to about .032

I used this chart here to source out my plugs.... NGK spark plug codes chart

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
Sorry about that, I meant the "tuning" portion. I'll provide "evidence" once I get to the tuning stages (within the next 2 weeks)
i'll be interested and you'll have to chat with LogicGate (he's my official tuner :twothumb:). I would love to save me some cash by not having to get an external fmu.

·
Ripp'd 3.5L
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pm me the price on that BOV...

I just finished calling the last exhaust shop here in town and sad to say, they all are horrible on prices just for makin a y pipe up to the turbo (cheapest I was quoted was $1,700). So I went ahead and started looking for pipes at summitracing.com...I will be tack welding my own set up and then taking it to a exhaust shop to have them finish the welding (was quoted $75-$100 for welding my tack welded setup).

Using stock manifolds, I was thinking of using 2 1/4 inch piping upstream of the turbo and 2 3/4 inch from the turbo back to the exhaust (to an Invidia cat-back). Any one here have any recommendations as to what other sizes I should use?

·
Ripp'd 3.5L
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I now have everything I need, and just to be on the safe side, I'll be ordering a vortech SFMU unit sometime this week just incase I run into the same issue that ...."what's his name" is having (tuning via ECU flash and runnin lean past zero vacuum....

I should be recieving my hotside pipes tomorrow, and then the welding will begin. To share a few details with you guys, I bought 2.25" piping that will go before the turbo, and 3" piping to 2.5" piping for after the turbo (to clarify, the 90 elbow coming from the turbo will be 3", I bought a 40" long 2.5" inlet/outlet resonator to help with noise reduction)

The reason I chose to downsize to 2.5 is because of fitment issues I might incounter when going under the block.

I'll post up pics of all that I will be using either later today or tomorrow, to give you guys an idea of what my setup is going to look like

·
Turbo Buick > you
1,336 Posts
What are the specs of that turbo? I'd imagine its on the small side?

Then ill be able to give you some advice.

As far as pre turbo piping, the crossover pipe should be the same diameter as the collector (i forget what the stock diameter is). For a small turbo, a 2.5" downpipe will be absolutely fine, especially for the power levels you are looking for.

My buick is making about 600hp using a 3" downpipe. Guys run high 9's with my car on a 3" downpipe. You dont need anything larger ;)

·
Ripp'd 3.5L
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 2g intercooler will be enough for my goals (300hp/tq). Eventually I'll be upgrading it.

The turbocharger is actually on the big side, its a H1C that came off a 5.9L turbo dodge truck. (twin scroll and such)

As for the engine internals, they are stock. I have a 2nd 3.5L engine that I will be building into a stroker.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
The 2g intercooler will be enough for my goals (300hp/tq). Eventually I'll be upgrading it.

The turbocharger is actually on the big side, its a H1C that came off a 5.9L turbo dodge truck. (twin scroll and such)

As for the engine internals, they are stock. I have a 2nd 3.5L engine that I will be building into a stroker.
So how many PSI are you planing to push with your stock internals???

1 - 20 of 302 Posts