Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Ripp'd 3.5L
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Curiousity has gotten to me lately, How many people have done this swap already? Post up if you have. Also....

Has anyone encountered this weird....strange.....event....(read below)

Just to see if this motor could hit 7k rpms (testing the motor out), I floored it in first gear, I had set my rev limiter to 7,200 rpms, yet when fuel cut-off kicked in, the rpm guage read only approx 6,700-6,800ish...

So i tried setting for a lower rev limit (I set it to 6,700 rpms), fuel cut-off kicked in at approx 6,300 rpms. (again, per the rpm guage).

I never really paid much attention to this other detail either, and am wondering if anyone else has noticed this too....

Normally, in a 5 speed GT in 5th gear at 3,000 rpms your car is doing 80mph....as for me, when I hit 3,000 rpms, i'm only doing about 76ish-77ish

Do any of you guys have these symptoms too???

I'll get a list started of all those who have swapped so far:

1) Dragon34x (5speed) 2005 GT coupe
2) 02meclipseGT (5speed) 2002 GT coupe
3) Boostzealot (5speed) 2000 Galant ES
4) Killa Kev (sporty) 2000 GT coupe
5) blayze999 (5speed) 2003 GT Spyder
6) Dartanyo (sporty) 2000 GT coupe
7) SB03GT (5speed) 2003 GT ???
8) pasquale 2000 GT coupe

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
i'll be completely swapped with some goodies within the next few months, just waiting for tax time to buy some headers and some other little bits.

·
Just Married 05-15
1,755 Posts
Could it be the pulse blade behind the Crankshaft pulley? I forget the name. They might have different pulse width while going through the sensor. :idunno:

·
Ripp'd 3.5L
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm, never thought of that. I can check that though (I got both engine's sitting side by side in da garage) I will look into that

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Got mine in and running...

Still working out a couple kinks, so I can't tell you what's acting different because we haven't got it all worked out completely...

~Mike

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mines in thanks to you and damian helping me.

Only problems i have encountered are the ecu swaps and to much tranny fluid thats it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well i think im the only sporty. i have no problems with the car. i just need an 02 ecu to tune it. thats the only problem i have come to.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How many people have done the swap with no problems on a Sporty yet?
I've got a friend with a Galant sporty and he's actually got the 6g74 swapped in and got past his speed sensor problem, I can't recall what he did but apparently the 6g74 runs greatly on the autostick. i'll try and get him to register.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
I've got a friend with a Galant sporty and he's actually got the 6g74 swapped in and got past his speed sensor problem, I can't recall what he did but apparently the 6g74 runs greatly on the autostick. i'll try and get him to register.
I would really like to know what he did to get passed that problem. Because the swap on a Sporty without fixing that is very crippling.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would really like to know what he did to get passed that problem. Because the swap on a Sporty without fixing that is very crippling.
Thats one thing i forgot to add. my speed sensor was working fine. saw my speed on the Spedo then i turned my car off one day and started it that night to drive to work, my spedo stoped working :(

·
Ripp'd 3.5L
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far from what we came to find out on a sporty is:

an 03 and up sporty ECU swap into a 2000 GT does not, and will not work. From what kev came to find out is that some pins on the wire harness to ecu are different (located in different slots). If I remember correctly, he will be trying to swap in a 01 or an 02 ecu to get the car up and running (no solid evidence that this will work yet)

His car runs, but only if he uses his stock ecu.

What problem do you seem to be encountering?

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
Just so you guys know, the tach signal comes from the distributor. It's triggered by the coil negative post. If your tach is reading incorrectly, it has nothing to do with the Crank Angle Sensor.

·
Ripp'd 3.5L
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just so you guys know, the tach signal comes from the distributor. It's triggered by the coil negative post. If your tach is reading incorrectly, it has nothing to do with the Crank Angle Sensor.
ooooh, I did not know that....brings a few things to mind....

·
Registered
237 Posts
well, i have my 3.0L hangin on the houst above my engine bay and the 3.5L on the floor right next to the car. so hopefully in a week or so ill get it done.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
So far from what we came to find out on a sporty is:

an 03 and up sporty ECU swap into a 2000 GT does not, and will not work. From what kev came to find out is that some pins on the wire harness to ecu are different (located in different slots). If I remember correctly, he will be trying to swap in a 01 or an 02 ecu to get the car up and running (no solid evidence that this will work yet)

His car runs, but only if he uses his stock ecu.

What problem do you seem to be encountering?
Ideally, a cali spec ECU 2001+ and up should not be swapped into a 2000 vehicle. The immobilizer and the extra o2 sensors make up for the difference. They are even listed seperately on car-parts.com

The problem is that the ECU is not seeing what it's supposed to see between the speed sensor and the cam angle sensor then throws a code as a result. This of course is not a problem on the 5spd since the computer does not shift your transmission and has no reason to do regular checks to tailor the shifting style to the driver.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ideally, a cali spec ECU 2001+ and up should not be swapped into a 2000 vehicle. The immobilizer and the extra o2 sensors make up for the difference. They are even listed seperately on car-parts.com

The problem is that the ECU is not seeing what it's supposed to see between the speed sensor and the cam angle sensor then throws a code as a result. This of course is not a problem on the 5spd since the computer does not shift your transmission and has no reason to do regular checks to tailor the shifting style to the driver.
Then what ecu should i put in my car or what should i do ?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts