Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 1637 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone done any research into the 6g75 because i've found a 3.8l for not much more then then 6g74 at a scrap yard near me, if anyone has any info about what might go into the fit up id love to see it :twothumb:

·
Zed oh six
6,234 Posts
camoner said:
has anyone done any research into the 6g75 because i've found a 3.8l for not much more then then 6g74 at a scrap yard near me, if anyone has any info about what might go into the fit up id love to see it :twothumb:
From what I could tell when looking at the 4g, the mounts are in the same location that they are for us. The transmission on the 3G may not bolt up, but you could always get their 6-speed in that case.

If that motor is cheap enough, just buy it and try it out. If it doesnt work you could always sell it again.

EDIT: The ECU would probably need to be swapped too, in order for the MIVEC to work.

·
Ripp'd 3.5L
1,104 Posts
actually, it be a very difficult swap. It is all electronically controlled. Meaning, even the throttle pedal shit is electronically controlled! You could probably use the block itself but using the rest might be a lil difficult. deck height is too tall for out engine compartment (nothing a lil after market hood cant handle, ie: raised hood) It would be very interesting to see though.

·
Lance Corporal
3,953 Posts
I recall Manybreaws saying that the bellhousings fro the 4G 6-speed and the 3G 5-speed were almost identical. Even so. Id just use the 6-speed. You would need the whole wireing harness and ECU though to make it work. Its easier to just get the 3.5 and bore it out to 3.8-3.9 and do some nice head work and drop it in.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
McLarenross said:
I recall Manybreaws saying that the bellhousings fro the 4G 6-speed and the 3G 5-speed were almost identical. Even so. Id just use the 6-speed. You would need the whole wireing harness and ECU though to make it work. Its easier to just get the 3.5 and bore it out to 3.8-3.9 and do some nice head work and drop it in.
Is there enough material to bore it out to 3.8L???

·
Lance Corporal
3,953 Posts
True. I forgot about crank travel. What do the wall thicknesses look like to you. Think .040"-.050" over is feasible??

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but think of wat you can do with a 3.8L if you bore it :), the thing is the electronics, do you think there would be a way to either keep something from my engine so I dont have to deal with it, or basically would i be driving a 4g in a 3g body?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
camoner said:
but think of wat you can do with a 3.8L if you bore it :), the thing is the electronics, do you think there would be a way to either keep something from my engine so I dont have to deal with it, or basically would i be driving a 4g in a 3g body?
I would talk to some of the guys at RPW about this. They seem to know the 6G7X platforms extremely well. I could be wrong, but I think they have setup standalone computers on Mivec engines. I don't see any reason why you couldn't do the same with some of their help.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
McLarenross said:
I recall Manybreaws saying that the bellhousings fro the 4G 6-speed and the 3G 5-speed were almost identical. Even so. Id just use the 6-speed.
I am no transmission guru, but wouldn't you then need custom length axle's? The tranny may bolt up to the engine, but what about all the rotating stuff?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
TheFranchise said:
why not just use the 3.8L block and 3G heads or even 3.5L heads?
will they match up to the 3.8L block?

And correct me if I am wrong, but most of the 3.8's hp and tq gain over the 3.5 and the 3.0 is from the MIVEC technology right? I know you'd still get a gain from the displacement change, but you wouldn't be getting the whole shabang, so to speak. Right?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
randyrat said:
Swapping the ecus and electronics should take care of the MIVEC technology issue.
While it will take care of the Mivec issue, someone stated earlier in this thread that alot of stuff on the 4G is electronically controlled. Specifically, the throttle pedal. If that is the case, I would assume that the gas pedal has some sort of sensor on it to see how far down the driver has pushed it. The sensor relays that information to the ECU, and the ECU then relays that information to some tiny motor attached to the throttle body that opens it up a certain percentage based on the input from the ECU.

I read an article a while ago about this "drive by wire" technology and how alot of car companies are starting to implement similar stuff. I am not sure if Mitsu did this or not, but someone Dragon34x seems to think so. Who knows?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own a 2006 G6 that uses a lot of drive-by-wire technology and happen to work at a pontiac dealership as well, it's some crazy looking shit to get involved with, so I'd be careful...but, where there's a will, there's a way and the you said the engine was cheap anyway. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
the solution is pretty simple. and it can be done since the 4g has been out for a while now, you find a 4g that was totaled in a rear end accident. and some minor stuff in the front. buy the car and you now have a donor car. If I was going to do a MIVEC swap, thats is exactly what I would do.

1 - 20 of 1637 Posts