Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently doing a turbo build on my gt and i want to cut down on some of the complex plumbing. If i put the throttle body on the passenger side of the engine it will make it so that after the air passes through the inter cooler it dosent have to cross the the engine bay or interfere with the other plumbing. I want to use the upper intake manifold off of a 3000gt and my question is can i use the eclipse tb with that manifold or do i have to use the 3000gt tb?

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
You'll want to use your stock throttle body. I can't remember what the gaskets look like but you might have to port match your throttle body to the manifold. Otherwise I know the bolt pattern is the same, the bore just may or may not line up like they're supposed to.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for info. Which manifold do u think would work/fit better the turbo or non-turbo manifold from looking at pics of them the turbo one looks like it has a neck sticking out of it that the tb bolts to and it looks like of installed on the eclipse it would put the tb too close the strut tower but the non-turbo looks like it doesnt stick out as far and would leave enough room.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
There were a ton of different manifolds used on the 3000gt. Each generation got a different one and they were different between Dodge vs Mitsu sometimes too. I'd say just eye ball it and see what happens.

Also beware that a lot of those manifolds are dual geometry which means they have two runners and a set of butterfly valves in them. There is no hope of running the butterflies since the electronics are a PAIN but you can open the manifold (simply unbolts) and remove all the butterflies and actually have a manifold far superior to any of the standard cast manifolds. It gives you some good top end which is an ingredient for great success on boosted cars. Only trick really is putting the manifold back together because it is sealed with silicone but if you can RTV oil pans you can seal a DG manifold.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help do u have a pic of what the duel geometry ones look like because if they preform better i might go with that one.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
If you look at them they're a three piece manifold, they have bolts showing holding the pieces together. They aren't otherwise specifically labelled.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dont worry i just bought the one with the 2 sets of runners and butterflys in it. I did a little research on it and i think i might try to make the valves functional by haveing then open and close using a solenoid wired to a shift light set at a lower rpm.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks ill make sure to post how i did it if i can get it to work. If u have any info of how it is wired or functions it would be a big help

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Like I said, its a five pin stepper motor. This means a signal controls many many positions it can take. Just a flat voltage won't do it, you need a software controlled signal to work them. If it were doable on the stock ecu it wouldve been don't by now. Besides the truth is the dual geometry manis are outperformed by their gutted and or ported counterparts all day long in terms of power. Vgt is a thing of the 90s. The manis are used now to gut for top end emphasis.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Actually there were really only 3 different manifolds used through the years. A SOHC model, DOHC non-turbo model, and DOHC twin turbo model. We just did a diamante VRX manifold on an eclipse GT last week and it is the most similar in shape and size to the 3000GT Turbo manifold, with the exception of course of the throttle body on the opposite side.

The NON-Turbo model with the butterfly valves inside is really a pain to mess with. It only works well with the N/A 3000 to open and close at optimum times according to certain conditions the ecu sees, shortening the length of the runners. Its not going to work decent with the eclipse. I would recommend using a stock 3000GT DOHC turbo manifold OR you can take the DOHC NON-turbo manifold apart and take the butterfly valves out, then either leave the vics motor that operates them on the side of the manifold unhooked, or take it out and plug the hole.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After doing some more searching on it i found that it operates similar to the jdm cyclone manifold that some dsm cars use. Instead if trying to get the ecu to operate it they remove the solenoid and mount a boost actuator so it gives them more bottom end and when the turbo spools up the valves open and since im going turbo i think im going to set it up the same.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so the manifold was delivered yesterday and when i started looking it over i noticed it doesnt have any form of a egr valve and i know that the eclipse will throw a code if it doesn't have a egr valve so what do i do to keep it from throwing a code do i have to find a way of installing a egr or is there a way to do without?

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
It will throw a code without a functioning EGR regardless. You'll have to find a way to install one or just live with the code.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok so the manifold was delivered yesterday and when i started looking it over i noticed it doesnt have any form of a egr valve and i know that the eclipse will throw a code if it doesn't have a egr valve so what do i do to keep it from throwing a code do i have to find a way of installing a egr or is there a way to do without?
I have a whole stack of 3000gt manifolds. If you want I'd be willing to sell you one that has an egr port on it for dirt cheap. Ill include the egr valve too

1 - 17 of 17 Posts