Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
You'd need an entire VR4 driveline too since the SL's are only FWD. Pretty sure the engine is quite a bit different on the VR4 as far as being built for FI.

With VR4's going for like $15-17k, it really doesn't seem cost effective.

·
Premium Member
24,873 Posts
ClipseGT2K4 said:
Hey is it possible to get a 3KGT SL and turn it into a VR4? ie getting the turbos, etc...
Yup. It's easy. Put a FOR SALE sign in the window of the SL and write a check for a VR4.

·
LOVES OHIO STATE
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NHRATA01 said:
You'd need an entire VR4 driveline too since the SL's are only FWD. Pretty sure the engine is quite a bit different on the VR4 as far as being built for FI.

With VR4's going for like $15-17k, it really doesn't seem cost effective.

I had a pretty good idea that it wouldnt really be cost effective, but it was just another attempt at a dumb question from a semi newB when it comes to cars... taking the cheap unsuspecting darkhorse and turning it into a Kentucky Derby winner... :sigh:

·
Good, good.
3,673 Posts
ClipseGT2K4 said:
I had a pretty good idea that it wouldnt really be cost effective, but it was just another attempt at a dumb question from a semi newB when it comes to cars... taking the cheap unsuspecting darkhorse and turning it into a Kentucky Derby winner... :sigh:
What do you mean by that? Did you want to make a sleeper, or did you just want to do it for fun?

·
NACHALNIK!
3,583 Posts
Sounds similar to turning Hyundai Elantra automatic into 5 speed. Even if you succeed there will be tons of more exciting cars for less money.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
ClipseGT2K4 said:
So get the VR4, debadge it, and change the spoiler. Thats the easier route to go with a sleeper :)

·
Ripped Evo
1,178 Posts
http://www.dynamicracing.com/customer/home.php?cat=111
Dynamic Racing got a friend of mine a built short block for his 3000GT
They have most everything for 3000GT & Stealth...
Air Intake, Blow Off Valves, Body Kits, Brakes, Cooling, Drivetrain, Electronics, Engines, Exhaust, Intercoolers, OEM Parts, Suspension, Turbo Upgrades, Staged Upgrades, Propane Injection, Seats, and Wheels
Or.
http://rippmods.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=794

RIPP's new SDS for the 91-99 Mitsu/Dodge 3000GT/Stealth DOHC FWD is Done and DYNOed.
http://rippmods.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17
RIPP's SDS for the 91-99 Mitsu/Dodge 3000GT/Stealth SOHC FWD

·
Patty Cakes
13,055 Posts
Some have put the VR-4s twin-turbos (and supporting components) in their SLs and are generally easily faster than the VR-4s simply because of less driveline loss.

(From a roll, of course.)

·
Experienced member
388 Posts
its sort of easy to change it over, because it has already been done. if you go to the 3si boards there was a member that took his sohc head off and put the dohc vr-4 head on it then put the turbo manifolds on because they are the same. oh yeah you have to use the vr-4 ecu and wiring harness.

·
Premium Member
24,873 Posts
onewkd3g said:
its sort of easy to change it over, because it has already been done. if you go to the 3si boards there was a member that took his sohc head off and put the dohc vr-4 head on it then put the turbo manifolds on because they are the same. oh yeah you have to use the vr-4 ecu and wiring harness.
Oh yeah, and you need to change over the drivetrain and suspension.

Easy.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I may be two months late but if you are serious about this it can and has been done. If you can find a cheap VR4 (salvage) or keep checking this guy out www.stealth3000gtparts.com or simular part site for one and get the parts you need. To research the obstacles you can read http://www.bobthegreat.com/pages/mycar/mods/FWDAWD/index.html
I would much rather grab a low mile (<100K) cheap stealth es and tt that and deal with FWD but this guy explains his reasons and is a great site about that and the tt conversion that is seeming to become more popular.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Patrick said:
Some have put the VR-4s twin-turbos (and supporting components) in their SLs and are generally easily faster than the VR-4s simply because of less driveline loss.

(From a roll, of course.)
also 10:1 compression helps along with less drivetrain loss and weight loss if you grab a base 3kgt (pre sohc of course) or stealth es (dohc version)

T

·
0 Posts
Um...what part of that description exactly strikes you as "sort of easy"?

Swapping in a completely different valvetrain, computer, wiring? For what? I mean what is the big payoff here anyway? A 10 yr old butchered car that is as fast or a little bit faster than the 10 yr old car you are trying to mimick...for twice the price...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts