Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to this website, having not completely learned my way around it, and apologize if this has already been discussed and/or is in the wrong forum...

So I got my 2001 Eclipse GT with 3.0 this past summer and have big plans for it.. I want performance performance performance.. And to accomplish that I have been trying to study up and came up with my goal of a Twin Turbo V6.. Is this feasible? Back to the main point of my thread, I have come upon the fact that the 3000gt VR4 is our engine with twin turbos no?.. Well I was wondering about how interchangeable parts are between these too cars..

First off; can the pistons, fuel rails, injectors, etc., but most importantly the exhaust manifolds match up?

Second; I found a website that was made for the 3kGT and sold a very nicely priced twin turbo upgrade kit with evo big turbos and tubular manifolds,... will they mount up to my car? as in will the manifold fit a gt eclipse? If so I would much like too purchase this upgrade and work with it..

Once again, I'd love for your help guys!

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
About the twin turbo V6, someone was selling a tt 6G72 motor on the .org site a couple of years ago so it is feasible. It's basically the same motor but I don't think you can swap it into a 3G. Hopefully the members who know more than myself will step in and give their knowledge.

·
Vortech Inside
389 Posts
Welcome, the VR4 is a nice platform to look at for ideas but their engine is very much different.

Interchangable parts:
Pistons - No
Fuel Rails - Yes (Good upgrade for forced induction)
Injectors - Yes
Exhaust Manifold - Possibly feasible with a good deal of modification but probably not worth the effort

The VR4s engine is transversely mounted compared to ours.

Remember to search, everything has been discussed before.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Welcome, the VR4 is a nice platform to look at for ideas but their engine is very much different.

Interchangable parts:
Pistons - YES 9 (Same bore, same pin size, Ripp's pistons were simply 3S Wiseco's for the DOHC NA engine.)
Fuel Rails - Yes (Good upgrade for forced induction)
Injectors - Yes
Exhaust Manifold - No... Flanges are different.

The VR4s engine is transversely mounted compared to ours.

Remember to search, everything has been discussed before.
^ Fixed because you had wrong info in there.

Bottom line... The only way to twin turbo this car is CUSTOM FABRICATION. The only twin turbo 3G was done by jbasol and he did a lot of custom work to make it fit. The twin turbo engine Charles mentioned on the .org was simply a SOHC 72 found in the 3G w/ custom manifolds.

·
Vortech Inside
389 Posts
^ Fixed because you had wrong info in there.

Bottom line... The only way to twin turbo this car is CUSTOM FABRICATION. The only twin turbo 3G was done by jbasol and he did a lot of custom work to make it fit. The twin turbo engine Charles mentioned on the .org was simply a SOHC 72 found in the 3G w/ custom manifolds.
well he was talking about the vr4 which no the pistons will not fit, the NA 6g72-yes

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pardon my stupidity, but flanges?

And they exhaust headers/manifolds do not match between a 3000gt and our gt engine?

I want to put this on, your saying it wont work?

3SX TD05 Headers and EVO3 Turbos Kit - Mitsubishi 3000GT / Dodge Stealth Parts

And where can I find the fuel rails off one?

Im sorry Ive searched and searched but can't seem to find much information on the topic

And jbasol? Is there some page or perhaps a thread on here that he talks about his process to making it? And was it worth it for him?

Again, pardon my lack of knowledge; I am both new to this site and only 17 years of age

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
the vr4 rails are the same rails you'll find in the 74... I have a set for 20$ + shipping if you want them. As stated, the vr4 engine is facing the opposite direction in the engine bay as ours so you'd need to do a LOT of fabrication.

·
Registered
970 Posts
pardon my stupidity, but flanges?

And they exhaust headers/manifolds do not match between a 3000gt and our gt engine?

I want to put this on, your saying it wont work?

3SX TD05 Headers and EVO3 Turbos Kit-Mitsubishi 3000GT/Dodge Stealth Parts

And where can I find the fuel rails off one?

Im sorry Ive searched and searched but can't seem to find much information on the topic

And jbasol? Is there some page or perhaps a thread on here that he talks about his process to making it? And was it worth it for him?

Again, pardon my lack of knowledge; I am both new to this site and only 17 years of age
Hate to say it, but those turbos would never fit in the engine bay with those style manifolds. You would be hitting the fire wall in the back and the fans in the front. Not to mention the manifolds won't even bolt up. Search the forum, you will find all this information!

·
Waiting to spool
3,237 Posts
If you search the forums you will find that there is no bolt-on kit for the 3g eclipse. Every kit has to be customized to work.

Being 17 I suggest you stop and ask yourself if you have the money to properly turbo your 3g eclipse. To properly do it will take a mininmum of $5000 and stuff is guaranteed to break no matter how reliable your kit is.

You also need to ask yourself if you want speed, reliablity, or cost. You get to pick 2 of the 3 if you do decide to go FI.

There have been plenty of failed attempts at teens on here trying to turbo there 3g's, hell there was a kid who attempted, failed, bought an already turboed 3g and then blew that up. I highly suggest you rethink what you're getting yourself into.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know I am young, and indeed to not know everything. I am trying to attain enough knowledge to accomplish this.

Well of course the goal is too gain speed; that said I would like to go a more reliable daily driver route in the most cost efficient way possible.

I was planning on taking this in steps, I can do that right? This summer my dad and I were planning to tear down my engine and rebuild it to practice and learn more about it whilst cleaning it up. Should I not start installing parts stepping towards a turbo like forged pistons or something of the like?

Will this actually improve my gas mileage as well? what do you guys get? I track every fill up and average out about 22mpg; lower on tanks spend only too school yet higher on days spent driving to madison with friends.

I am going to a quicker more fuel efficient car and want less lag as opposed to top end boost. I am trying to compile a list of products I will need to accomplish, If you guys could help me out with the list that'd be great!

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts

·
R.i.p Silverside
1,302 Posts
I know I am young, and indeed to not know everything. I am trying to attain enough knowledge to accomplish this.

Well of course the goal is too gain speed; that said I would like to go a more reliable daily driver route in the most cost efficient way possible.

I was planning on taking this in steps, I can do that right? This summer my dad and I were planning to tear down my engine and rebuild it to practice and learn more about it whilst cleaning it up. Should I not start installing parts stepping towards a turbo like forged pistons or something of the like?

Will this actually improve my gas mileage as well? what do you guys get? I track every fill up and average out about 22mpg; lower on tanks spend only too school yet higher on days spent driving to madison with friends.

I am going to a quicker more fuel efficient car and want less lag as opposed to top end boost. I am trying to compile a list of products I will need to accomplish, If you guys could help me out with the list that'd be great!
This is a list of parts you need go look up the prices and see if it is feasible.
Fyi- The pistons are $850-900 and the turbo by itself is about $700, so you're already looking at $1600 before you've even thought about buying other parts. We don't know what kind of budget you have, but if you're working a part time job and only have a couple hundred saved up save your money or go with I/H/E and possibly a ecuflash.

Master Power T4 Turbo Part# 810007
Oil Feed Fitting
1/8 X 1/8 FIP X MIP ADPT
1/8 FIPXMIPXFIP BS STREET TEE
1/4 X 1/8 MALE FLARE X MIP ADPT
1/4 X 1/8 BS M FLARE X MIP ELB
Oil Drain Fittings
T4 Housing Oil Drain with 1/2" Female
1/2 MIPXFIP BS 45 STR ELBOW
(2) 3/4 X 1/2 HOSE BARB X MALE ADPT
Stainless steel feed line
3 Foot 3/4" Pushlock return hose
Turbo Hardware
Gaskets
T4 Inlet Gasket
Oil Drain Gasket

Hot Side
2.5" Collector Pipe (Requires Fabrication)
2.5" Downpipe - Turbo to Catback Pipe (Requires Fabrication)
Wastegate Recirc Tube (Requires Fabrication)
38mm Wastegate
T-Clamps
Cold Side
3.0" Compressor Inlet Tube (Requires Fabrication)
2.5" Compressor Discharge Tubing (Requires Fabrication)
Treadstone TR6 Intercooler Core Size, 6" X 22" X 3.5"
Blow Off Valve with recirculation
Universal Fit K&N Cone Air Filter (4.5 inch I.D. outlet)
M.A.F. Adapter for Mitsubishi Applications
Recirculation Hose
Valve Cover Breather Hose
Intercooler Hardware
Coupler Kit
(2) 2.5" Straight
(1) 3.0" Straight
(4) 2.5" 45 Degree
(2) 2.5" 90 Degree
(1) 3.0" 90 Degree
Hose Clamp Kit
(16) 2.75" Clamps
(4) 3.25" Clamps
440cc Injector Kit
(6) 42# Injectors
(4) Injector Spacers
(4) M8 60mm Bolts
(6) Holley Fuel Injector Connectors Part # 534-112
Fuel/Electronics
Walboro 255lph Fuel Pump
Greddy E-Manage
Greddy Ignition Harness
Greddy Injector Harness

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is that list a specific kit mentioned on some website? What horsepower/torque will you get with it? And is it designed more for top end or low end power?.. Remember I want fast spooling stop light to stop light power

what is this?> I/H/E

and this?> MIP ADPT

Also, im assuming that an ecu flash isn't good enough right? So what do you guys think is better, for outcome price and simplicity combined... AEM EMS or GReddy Emanage?

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
what is this?> I/H/E

and this?> MIP ADPT

Also, im assuming that an ecu flash isn't good enough right? So what do you guys think is better, for outcome price and simplicity combined... AEM EMS or GReddy Emanage?
I/H/E is Intake/Headers/Exhaust

MIP ADPT is Male Iron Pipe Adapter. This means it has male pipe threads and will adapt to either PVC pipe, Poly pipe or a few other types of pipe to make a transition from threaded pipe to something else.

AEM EMS doesn't exist for the 3G. I have one made for the 3G by PharmEcis. PM him telling him you want to buy one. I believe it cost $2000 or so. I have know idea about the Greddy Emanage.

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
Also guys

What manifold is better for turbo applications?

Is a newer or larger throttlebody really necessary?
When you say manifold do you mean upper plenum? Like between the GT, GTS and Diamante? Go with the Diamante. The throttle body question was raised in my turbo thread also. It's not necessary. Go with the throttle body that comes with the upper plenum. I'm going to be making 500+whp and I'm using the Diamante upper plenum with the Diamante 65mm throttle body. Steveodotcom1 is selling a nice Diamante plenum and throttle body right now in the for sale section.

·
R.i.p Silverside
1,302 Posts
Is that list a specific kit mentioned on some website? What horsepower/torque will you get with it? And is it designed more for top end or low end power?.. Remember I want fast spooling stop light to stop light power

what is this?> I/H/E

and this?> MIP ADPT

Tearstone Performance - 2000-2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo Kit

Last freebie. Do your homework All of the info is on this site. The FI section is for advice not hand holding.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright I'll try and research more but can someone answer me this, I doubt its on the forums?

Why is the upper intake manifold long and goes back to cover the second bank? Why Is not more of just a big tube directly on top of the lower manifold with the throttle body right on the end between the two banks of the v? More like a muscle car or something?

My only guess could be space and clearance issues..

and what is the difference between an intake manifold and plenum

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.