Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 03 eclipse gs and I’m trying to make more power cause it’s a lil 4 cylinder lmao but I don’t wanna go turbo yet. What are some mods I can do to the engine (any to increase power) I already have catback exhaust, headers and intake

·
Registered
2003 Eclipse GTS
179 Posts
If you haven't had it tuned yet, that would probably be your next step. It won't be a huge increase but without going turbo you're really not going to really be able to push it too far staying NA.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
139 Posts
In my way of thinking, modifying a 3G 4 cylinder is a waste of money. V-6 is 200 hp stock. ...J.D.

·
Registered
2003 Eclipse GTS
179 Posts
In my way of thinking, mJodifying a 3G 4 cylinder is a waste of money. V-6 is 200 hp stock. ...J.D.
There's a ton you can do to the I4 without doing an entire engine swap, like most of the V6 people end up doing if they're actually after power. Yes, you do have to swap pistons and the head and turbo it but I think it's easier to modify your block than to basically Frankenstein the 3.5l 6g74 or 3.8l 6g75 whether it's mivec or not. If you opt for either those swaps on the v6, it's likely you'll end up turbo anyways. If he just wants to have fun and add a little power on his 4cyl, he's definitely heading in the right direction. It probably just needs to be tuned and he will see some gains. I'm not quite sure who the best I4 tuners here are but I know there are plenty.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
139 Posts
I would not bother with an engine swap either. Just sell the 4 and buy a 6. These cars [4 or 6] are not worth a lot of money. The difference in price between what you can sell the GS for and what a GT would cost cannot be that much. ...J.D.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So I have a 03 eclipse gs and I’m trying to make more power cause it’s a lil 4 cylinder lmao but I don’t wanna go turbo yet. What are some mods I can do to the engine (any to increase power) I already have catback exhaust, headers and intake
Someone tell me if I’m wrong but I think you can do a 2g 4g63 head swap on the 3g 4g64 motors. I’m not sure how much of a power gain that would be but I’d assume at least a decent amount because you are going from sohc to dohc. I have a GT so I don’t know too much about the 4cyl builds but if I had one that would be the first thing I did 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2003 Eclipse GTS
179 Posts
Someone tell me if I’m wrong but I think you can do a 2g 4g63 head swap on the 3g 4g64 motors. I’m not sure how much of a power gain that would be but I’d assume at least a decent amount because you are going from sohc to dohc. I have a GT so I don’t know too much about the 4cyl builds but if I had one that would be the first thing I did
Yeah. That's what I was referencing. You can swap pistons from an evo or a Hyundai motor and basically have yourself a budget evo block, the turbo manifolds bolt on I believe.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
How much horsepower are you going to gain per dollars spent ? These are not usually high dollar cars. Whether it is 4 cylinder or six, you want the most result for the money spent. ...J.D.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
835 Posts
Well @SauceXD .... there is much you can do with that little 4-cylinder motor.... Would be nice to have deep pocket / unlimited bank account then you could follow along with the Mitsubishi Legend "Devin Schultz" Boosted Performance..... I out ran him once but woke up once I smelled the coffee brewing.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeh...We all have to face the facts.What is affordable and what is armchair racing. ...J.D.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Won't get much from the stock SOHC head on natural aspirated. Swapping to the Hyundai head actually decreases compression ratio and by the time you do the swap, you might as well swap the whole G4JS in. Swapping to the 4g69 has its own issues as some people can't get the cam sensing wheel correctly to work.
If you stick with the stock head, get rid of the stock intake manifold and swap to the 1 Gen Outlander one. Crower do offer regrind cam options as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts