Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lifted To Lowered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have never messed with the internals og an engine but i want to learn and i feel the 4G64 motor is a good one to learn with since its only a 4 cylinder. i want to eventually run a turbo but i want to build a motor that can handle it first. the junkyard near me is very cheap, motors $100, bottom end $50, head $50. so heres my options

(number is stock number for my reference)

bottom end-
-16292, Gallant 4G64 86K miles
-16473, Gallant 6G64 ran before wrecked
-16524, 2005 Gallant 4G69 Mivec, no history

top end
-16524, 2005 Gallant Mivec head, no history (can pull full motor)
-46559, Hyundai Elantra DOHC Head, no history
-16509 Kia Optima Head ran before wreck

the ones that have no history were probably ones that were impounded and never picked up.

what would make a reliable turbo set up?
what else would i need to complete the swap?
is there any way to make sure a component isnt completely trashed in the junk yard?

·
Lifted To Lowered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
THIS IS NOT ABOUT TURBOING.

this is strictly trying to gather opinions on what would build a capable, easy, reliable motor and other options i could look into.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just grab the Hyundai/Kia G4JS if you want the 2.4 DOHC. Just have to swap the oil filter housing. And according to your profile, you don't have to change the cam sensing wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rather than open a new thread, I'll just use this one since the topic is a bit general.

I have a 4G64 SOHC in my '98 Montero Sport. I was thinking about finding another intake manifold for it, and refreshing it with a thorough cleaning, new IAC, etc. I see that intake manifold talk is pretty prolific in regards to the Eclipse. And I haven't done a visual comparison of my intake to the Eclipse intake, but I'm guessing that since my 4G64 is in an SUV, that it probably has longer intake runners for more torque since the Montero Sport is much heavier than an Eclipse.

With the 5-speed manual (R5M21) and the rear-end ratio it has, I'm running somewhere between 3,300 - 3,500 RPM at 70 mph. And my power band is somewhere above 3,000 RPM--the thing suddenly wants to take off in the mid-3k's. Acceleration off the line is a bit sluggish, but part of that is the fact I moved up to a set of 16" aluminum GMC truck wheels with 255/70/16's. (I'm sure you're wondering so I bored the centers of the wheels out with a die-grinder and an aluminum reaming bit. No, I have never had any vibration at any speed.)

tl:dr The intake is very dirty, internally and I feel like refreshing it will give me back some pep. But do any of you have any suggestions on alternative intakes for this vehicle? Perhaps, a 2G Eclipse intake? I'm just concerned about killing all my torque with a short-runner intake. Then there's the fact that my engine is not transverse like an Eclipse.

note: Let's not talk about all the other obvious matters that could plague my particular vehicle, such as needing a tune-up or the fact that it is high-mileage, needs valve-guides, etc. Let's just stay on topic: intake manifold options.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts