Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admittedly, I don't have an Eclipse. I have a '98 Montero Sport ES that has the SOHC 2.4l 4G64. Somewhere between 20k-30k miles ago I did a full timing belt service, replacing the balance shaft belt and tensioner and idlers, water pump, etc. Recently, I had to replace the clutch on the R5M21 in this thing and noticed there was oil coming off the back of the motor, figuring it was from the valve cover gasket. Also, I noticed there was oil filling up one of the spark plug tubes because the tube seals were no longer sealing and saturated the ignition stem causing it to feel like it was partially dropping a cylinder. SO it was time for new tube seals and wires as well. But when I went to remove the valve cover, I had to of course remove the timing belt inspection cover and noticed that the belt was already cracking and about ready to split in an area that was thankfully at the top where I could see it. Back to ordering parts. I ordered the balance shaft belt just in case because I figured these belts must have been cheap (they were part of an eBay timing service kit), which turned out to be great because after I remove the timing cover I saw that the balance shaft belt had apparently broken and been broken in there for some time sending rubber shavings all over the place.

So I replaced the timing belt and balance shaft belt again, got all the marks lined up at the camshaft sprocket, TDC at #1, oil pump shaft right way around (I did the screwdriver in the hole trick), and it fired right up. However, now the engine sounds noisy, sort of like a piece of metal spinning very fast and hitting something. The only thing I could think of is the plate that spins between the crank sensor, but I doubt it because it would probably break the sensor very quickly. I have a very difficult time telling if it's in the top end (valvetrain) or behind the timing cover. It drives down the road fine, but the noise is not acceptable when idling. Could it be the balance shaft was failing and that's why it's belt broke, and now this new belt is forcing it for a finite amount of time? I don't remember seeing anything that states the cam sprocket has to be rotated a certain amount. I only recall reading the mark in the sprocket must line up with the notch in the valve cover. I don't remember reading anything about the balance shaft having to be turned correctly as the oil pump sprocket has to, but just that the mark must line up with the notch in the timing cover.

Lastly, the idle seems a little sporadic, but I had taken the throttle-body off and cleaned it up, shot carb cleaner into various passages and blew it out. I used a sealant when replacing it against the intake-manifold because I wasn't sure if the old gasket on it's own would seal properly, but I was very sparing to keep it out of passages and away from moving parts. But sometimes it goes high, above 1k and sits there for a while before returning to normal. Anyway, I'm rambling. Any idea's are welcome because I assume I'm going to have to R&I all over again and go over each step.

Matthew

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the noise change when you push the clutch pedal up and down?
No, it appears to have nothing to do with the clutch. Some days it is louder and some days quieter, but absolutely in the engine bay. One component that has been broken (I think) for a long time is the IAC. I unscrewed it from the intake manifold once and tried to pull it out thinking it was just a valve, but instead the plunger, if you will, stayed in the intake and pulled out of the back of the black, plastic connector revealing a spring. I put it back in figuring it no longer works correctly, and if I recall correctly it was always slower off the line after that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts