Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Stubborn One
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The car is a 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 5 speed with around 102k miles on it, It needs a timing belt replacement, but anywho, the problem I have with the tranny is that while I'm in motion, if I push in the clutch the car's Tach. will bounce between 750-1000 RPMs. It will not do it while in neutral, it will stop doing it once the car comes to a stop, but it Idles at 2k. It's gotta be the trans. due to it only fluttering the RPM range when clutch is pressed down AND in motion. What does this sound like to you guys, because my only idea would be that the clutch wouldn't be disengaging all the way, but that doesn't entirely make sense, so I don't know! *p.s. I'm not for certain but I don't believe the clutch has ever been replaced, but it doesn't appear to slip, and 3rd gear grinds thanks to a bad syncro.*

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Not exactly the tell tail signs of a vacuum leak, but that's where i'd start. Maybe an ECU reset.
:agreed:

Not the text book symptoms, but I'd start with drivability issues instead of the trans. Are there any codes (I'm not asking if the SES light is on, but actually get the car scanned for codes)? There are a few things that could be causing it, but the best place to start is with the codes, and to work on getting the idle back down to normal...then we'll get to the problem while the clutch is in and the car is in motion...

·
The Stubborn One
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only code it has ever thrown was a large vacuum leak from the evap canister *it's not the gas cap lid*, I'll run over the hoses today and see if I find any holes. UPDATE: it does flutter sometimes while in neutral.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The only code it has ever thrown was a large vacuum leak from the evap canister *it's not the gas cap lid*, I'll run over the hoses today and see if I find any holes. UPDATE: it does flutter sometimes while in neutral.
When's the last time you did any preventive maintenance (i.e. plugs, cap & rotor, wires, cleaned the air filter, cleaned the throttle body & IAC, etc.)?

·
The Stubborn One
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just before winter. I had all spark plugs replaced, did fluids, cleaned my CAI and Filter, and was preparing to do the timing belt and other acc. belts.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
P0455? I'm throwing the same code for gross evap leak. My vote goes for vac leak at this point. Do you have the stock manifold installed or another one? I'd spray some carb cleaner around the hoses and gasket areas and see if the idle changes. Also make sure everything is torqued to spec if you have removed any of these parts before.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Just before winter. I had all spark plugs replaced, did fluids, cleaned my CAI and Filter, and was preparing to do the timing belt and other acc. belts.
Ok, cool...I just wanted to rule out any recent maintenance that might have caused this.

P0455? I'm throwing the same code for gross evap leak. My vote goes for vac leak at this point. Do you have the stock manifold installed or another one? I'd spray some carb cleaner around the hoses and gasket areas and see if the idle changes. Also make sure everything is torqued to spec if you have removed any of these parts before.
:agreed:

This is a good place to start...

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Told you so:ndance:
:yesway: Always better to take the advice of several than of just one when it comes to the interweb!

I see you mentioned grinds and syncros... Have you replaced the tranny fluid? Its easy, cheap ($30-40 for fluids), and can help tremendously. Just make SURE you use the proper fluid.
It would be worth checking the clutch fluid to ensure it isn't low and look at the clutch slave cylinder to make sure its not leaking and introducing air.
Post up any and all SES codes if you have any. That will help us pin point where to start looking.

Actually, I see in your avatar that your car has racing stripes and the engine bay is on display.... What manifold and TB are you using??

·
The Stubborn One
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm throwing a P0455 Evap Emission control system detected *gross leak*, and a P0507, which is the idle control system RPM higher than expected. I'm going to buy Tearstone's throttle body.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
So I guess that means you are currently using the GT's throttle body? You don't expect the P0455 to be solved by the new TB do you?

·
The Stubborn One
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am using my stock GT Throttle body. No, I still need to figure that evap emissions code out. I know better than to think the TB will solve an *evap emission* problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts