Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
:fawk:

The day it was to arrive, I ended up with a last minute trip to Knoxville, TN since my mom had heart failure and was in the hospital. Hung around a few days until she got a pacemaker and went home (she's fine).

FInally got back home and UPS didn't drop it off (had neighbors watching every day for a box to bring it inside for me), instead there were info notices plastered on my door about a signature request. Finally made it to UPS before they closed last Tuesday and picked it up.

Thursday night I flew out back to Knoxville again for the originally scheduled Christmas event, and the first thing we did Friday was head out of town. Just got back a bit ago (greetings from Knoxville, bitches).

Didn't take much, some shots of a dog, a little bit of the family, and a few of some cookies and other food an aunt is thinking about making a cookbook with. The real tests will come over the next few days, since we are going to be bored soon (no family visiting until next week, and the immediate family here has gotten to the point where we've pretty much about talked about everything we can come up with and are about to resort to watching TV full time.

Yeah so enough excuses, I'll have something up pretty soon...

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Not much, but here's a little at least.

Here's an eye chart set up on a piece of a closet door, leaned against the rear deck. Shot from about 15' or 20' or so away with a 50mm Canon 1.4 lens (pretty good quality lens, all things considered).

The original picture (reduced in size to fit the screen, but not cropped or anything):

And here's a 1:1 pixel crop of the lower lines on the chart:

I'm pretty impressed, the larger sensor and higher # of pixels is... wow, serious detail. This had the sun low in the sky & behind me, and I'm amazed that with this much contrast there was no color fringing at all. I expected to see a slight purple halo around the edges of the black letters.

The XT blew up to about 11 x 14 nicely, I expect this to go quite a bit further. Hopefully I'll actually print some - otherwise for just posting on the interwebz I didn't need anything over about a 2MP camera. I'll eventually get somewhere nice (meaning scenic) around here to really put it to use.

And for variety, here's my cousin's dog (slight chopping for color balance and resize):

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that eye chart, what were the exposure settings? the whites look slightly blown out and I was just wondering about the f stop you used. the dog looks amazing. I have to get some real shots from the 1D up. I will say I took some shots with is and my 580 flash on x mas morning and they turned out great. :lol: although I got my dad a new A560 for xmas (he had the A320 before and I got the same camera so he didn't have to relearn the buttons and stuff)...comparing the shots from that camera to mine was just funny.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
that eye chart, what were the exposure settings?
50mm prime, @f4, 1/8000 sec, ISO 100

Yeah it was a little bright and the sun was shining right on it. Not the best conditions but enough at the time to see how the lenses compared to each other.

(That is: Tested at 28mm, the 24-105 was slightly better than the 16-35. And tested at 50, the 50 prime was slightly better than the 24-105. Pretty much what could have been guessed at. The "test" was just something quick to do to kill some time that day.)

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
are you stil selling that 17-55 (that IS the range isn't it?) f2.8 with the IS? if you how much and do you have paypal? I have someone that might be interested.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Well, it's definitely for sale, but may already be spoken for. A guy I know locally currently has both it and my Sigma 10-20 to play with while I'm out of town.

If that falls through... I'd be happy with $700 shipped. I know it works perfectly, but - 1) There's a bit of dust inside the first lens element (we both know that doesn't hurt the pics, but it always seems to stress a buyer a little), and 2) I don't have the box for it, or if I do I can't find it. 3) I got it off ebay originally, and I don't even remember if it's a US or gray market version.

So yeah, it's a great lens but when tryinig to sell it I know I'll get the price talked down some. I was originally hoping for a lot higher and I do think I'd get more than $700 for it on ebay, but I just would rather lower it and sell it to someone I "know". That is, if the local friend doesn't decide to keep it... If he doesn't, you can be ceratin I'll post it and a few other things up here and you'll be the first to know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts