Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well you guys can tell from my posts that I purchased a lightweight under drive pulley. It came in today, so i went and lifted up my car, turned the wheel, and just unbolted the pulley and compared them. Honestly, the ONLY difference I could tell from the two where that the stock "harmonically balanced" pulley only had a slight thin piece of rubber under the teeth of the pulley. So I bolted on the UD pulley and the power steering belt fit perfectly, no problem but the alternator belt was too long, so I headed to my local auto shop and found a belt that was a perfect fit, item number below.

So I installed it and then went for a test drive. I really dont think it adds any HP, but it just makes the car rev up faster. Basically you can tell that some of the engines rotational mass has been lifted. Oh and for the people who said it vibrates at higher RPM, I stayed in 3rd and rev'd up a little bit before redline and held it for a couple seconds. No signs of vibration and the CAS did not go off. All in all, I think it was worth the $67 I spent on everything, you actually feel the increase throttle respone in the pedal. The pulley also seems to be off good quality, no issues at all.

Lightweight Aluminum Underdrive Pulley - eBay, vender name EBstores. $42 shipped
Gatorback 4060450 Accessory Belt - $25

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well today I got to do some hard pulls on the street to really test the stress level of the pulley. After doing some hard runs still no CAS and no sign of any vibration. Actually I noticed a improvement in my heating system. Before when I use to turn on my heat or the anti-frost, the car would bog down and you would hear a strange noise. Now you dont hear anything at all, just everything running smoothly.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to let you guys know as an update the pulley its still going strong. Lately I feel like the car keeps getting easier and easier to rev up. I didnt drive the car for 2 days and when I got back and drove it the gas pedal was REALLY sensative.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
Compared to say, the flywheel, I have to imagine that the weight difference is just a drop in the bucket. A motor needs some rotational mass to run smoothly. If it makes you like the car better, that's fine, but I think most people do this mod for the looks.

I'm going to keep the harmonic balancer on mine so that I don't prematurely throw an accessory belt and have it chew through the timing belt cover.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm seeing them a little cheaper than that, I'm wondering what the pros and cons are of this and who else has had this installed.
The pully was only $42 shipped, that was the cheapest I found. You will need a new shorter belt which cost $25.

If it makes you like the car better, that's fine, but I think most people do this mod for the looks.
I did it because my old harmonic balancer fell apart :noplease:. I thought instead of buying a new one for $100 Id just get this one piece constructed one for cheaper.

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
My stock crank pulley started to come apart on me. I ended up buying this knock off crank pulley. It weighs 1lb 5.9 oz. The PS pulley is the same diameter as stock, but the A/C/alternator pulley is 14" vs the stock 18". The only bad thing I can say about the product at this time, is that there is not mark for using a timing light. However, I have never used a timing light on the eclipse, and I doubt I will ever need to do so.

I installed it yesterday on my 2000 Eclipse GT, and I have not had any problems yet. I will weigh the stock pulley tomorrow and report back. However, the part number listed in the original post is wrong. The actually part number is: 4060450

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
I weighed the stock pulley today. It weighs 6lbs 2.5oz, and mine is missing some of the rubber dampner part, so it is a little bit lighter than a normal stock one. I also have not had any missfire issues.

Stock = 6 lbs 2.5oz and 18in circumference alternator-ac pulley
Knock off = 1 lb 5.9oz and 14 in circumference alternator-a/c pulley

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
It looks the same to me, and is about the same price I payed for mine. However, with ebay you never know who the real manufacturer is.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
My stock crank pulley started to come apart on me. I ended up buying this knock off crank pulley. It weighs 1lb 5.9 oz. The PS pulley is the same diameter as stock, but the A/C/alternator pulley is 14" vs the stock 18". The only bad thing I can say about the product at this time, is that there is not mark for using a timing light. However, I have never used a timing light on the eclipse, and I doubt I will ever need to do so.

I installed it yesterday on my 2000 Eclipse GT, and I have not had any problems yet. I will weigh the stock pulley tomorrow and report back. However, the part number listed in the original post is wrong. The actually part number is: 4060450

soo is this the part number to the belt??

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
soo is this the part number to the belt??
Yea I updated the post. Go to partsamerica.com, its Murrays/Checkers/Advance Auto or go to Autozone.com and type in the search 4060450. A Gator belt should come up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts