Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one day when I am driving home i turned around a corner from a stop sign and my car made a weird clunking sound and lurched back and forth so i pushed the clutch in and it stopped the sound but then every time i went around a corner (mostly right corners) it makes the same clunking sound and the car jolts back and forth like a really bad shift. So i talked to my dad about it and he said he thought it might be a cv joint, we took it into a local car repair shop to see if they could fix it and they told us that it was the trans-axel. so we took it to a transmission shop and they told us that the whole tranny was done for and we needed to get a new one. so there were two problems with this the 6g72 5-sp trannys are extremely rare (i'm told because they never fail) so we are having to get a refurbished one for $3400, more than half the price i paid for the car 8 months ago! everyone that knows alot about cars is really skeptical that the tranny actually failed especially since the car only has 80000 miles on it. I even talked to someone who used to work at the local mitsu dealer as a mechanic and he said in 5 years there he never saw a manual 3g eclipse with tranny problems. so do you guys think? is it really my transmission or is the tranny shop just bullshitting me?

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Send me the transmission and I'll repair it for 1/2 of the quote you got.

·
fat guy tiny car
848 Posts
So one day when I am driving home i turned around a corner from a stop sign and my car made a weird clunking sound and lurched back and forth so i pushed the clutch in and it stopped the sound but then every time i went around a corner (mostly right corners) it makes the same clunking sound and the car jolts back and forth like a really bad shift. So i talked to my dad about it and he said he thought it might be a cv joint, we took it into a local car repair shop to see if they could fix it and they told us that it was the trans-axel. so we took it to a transmission shop and they told us that the whole tranny was done for and we needed to get a new one. so there were two problems with this the 6g72 5-sp trannys are extremely rare (i'm told because they never fail) so we are having to get a refurbished one for $3400, more than half the price i paid for the car 8 months ago! everyone that knows alot about cars is really skeptical that the tranny actually failed especially since the car only has 80000 miles on it. I even talked to someone who used to work at the local mitsu dealer as a mechanic and he said in 5 years there he never saw a manual 3g eclipse with tranny problems. so do you guys think? is it really my transmission or is the tranny shop just bullshitting me?
the trannies might not fail but the drivers do. check a local junkyard

·
Boobs!? WHERE!?!
1,030 Posts
the trannies might not fail but the drivers do. check a local junkyard
LOL excellent quote... +1.

OP, you said that whenever you turn it does that clunking thing right? Well heres what I would ask myself: "What is connected to my tranny on the passenger side that could cause an issue like that?" Well, your CV axle, suspension, and hub are all a part of that system, right? Well, as you turn, your CV axle rides inside your tranny mating together with a network of splines. Your CV axle has to bend and conform to still be able to transfer the power from your tranny to your wheels, right? If it only does it when you're turning, I would think that the U-joints in your CV axle aren't properly rotating and causing that awful clunking noise. Did you ever actually replace your CV axle? I would stick to your guns and start at the easiest, (and cheapest), possible solution before pointing at your tranny. The next possible solution could be your lower ball joint but you would probably notice that while driving straight as well. If this doesn't fix it, send your tranny to Pharm. He's a total asshole... But he's an asshole who definitely knows his shit... No pun intended.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well supposedly he is one of the best transmission people in the area (says my dad). anyway its too late now to really do anything else because we already ordered a refurbished transmission.

·
Boobs!? WHERE!?!
1,030 Posts
well supposedly he is one of the best transmission people in the area (says my dad). anyway its too late now to really do anything else because we already ordered a refurbished transmission.
So you decided to go the more expensive route huh? Bad form! Let us know how it turns out, I'd like that solution for future reference... And to pat myself on the back.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you decided to go the more expensive route huh? Bad form! Let us know how it turns out, I'd like that solution for future reference... And to pat myself on the back.
well we went with that because the 6g72 manual trannies are really hard to find (probably cause they never go out) so we couldnt get one from a junkyard so i was left with new with a 1 year warranty for 3500 or refurbished with a 3 year warranty for 3400. expensive as hell but it was the only way :( so i have to wait 3 fucking weeks to get my car back grrr..

·
Boobs!? WHERE!?!
1,030 Posts
well we went with that because the 6g72 manual trannies are really hard to find (probably cause they never go out) so we couldnt get one from a junkyard so i was left with new with a 1 year warranty for 3500 or refurbished with a 3 year warranty for 3400. expensive as hell but it was the only way :( so i have to wait 3 fucking weeks to get my car back grrr..
...Why dont you just try replacing the CV axle while you're waiting? Wait, do you have to send your old tranny to them first?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Im experiencing a similar problem with my 00 GT. Although my problem does not seem as sever as anonymous6366's, it has been getting progressivly worse and is going down hill fast. I can not determin if the differential is gooing bad, or if its the CV joints. The problem is kinda hard to describe but im going to try my best...
When im driving straight my car drives/feels/sounds great. There are no problems when I turn left Either. The problem occurs when I so much as slide into the cruising land on the highway. Even the slightest bank to the right and I can hear/feel a sort of... "grinding and or a clikcking noise". The "grinding" sound is deff the dominate sound and feel but the ticking/clicking noise is still pretty noticeable. I did take a quick look up under the car today and noticed alot of gear grease all over the back of the motor. Can you guys help me diagnose this issue before alot of time and money get wasted???

Thanks everyone, Anthony.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts