Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've read a lot of debates about this. The only conclusion I can come to is that the DOHC 6g72 faces the opposite direction as the SOHC and the motor mounts don't line up. It's not very cost effect either.

Besides, you'd make more power and spend a lot less money just supercharging your GT SOHC. RIPP kits come in three stages and are fairly inexpensive. Besides, Its hard to fabricate a twin turbo because the backside of the engine on the GT SOHC is REALLY close to the fire wall.

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
i was wondering if you could swap a vr-4 engine in a 3rd gen eclipse gt?
After being here for almost 12 years now, I've seen thousands upon thousands of questions like this. This is what I'll offer.

The first thing is that you need to understand is the history of the 3G. The 3G isn't, won't, and will not ever be accepted into the Mitsubishi tuning community like the 1G and 2G were. Why? The 3G was the first attempt by Mitsubishi to break free from the boy racer bonds the aforementioned models provided. The 3G became soft, seemingly more reliable and generally more comfortable. The 3G is a two door Galant.

Reading all of that, we've established that the 3G is alone unto itself in the Mitsubishi performance world, on top of it being a two door Galant. With that information, when you start to look around this forum at what engine upgrades, (relative to power) are available you'll see that they can cost more than the car is worth for all intents and purposes.

All you young guys seem to either not notice or blatantly ignore these well established facts. The only people making significant power with this platform are either spending copious amounts of money, or have well above a working knowledge of cars, bordering on that of a mechanic and higher and apply their talents that way.

Now, I've already eliminated you from having an above working knowledge of cars because of this question. And I've sliced you from having copious amounts of money to dump into the car because most sane people don't buy decade old Mitsubishi's. But most importantly they don't buy decade old Mitsubishi's to invest pour money into. Which leaves us with you as an everyday guy that has a sporty looking car whose eyes are proverbially bigger than the plate.

Which leaves us with, what in the hell is the 3G good for? While looks are certainly subjective, the 3G is a nice looking car--even though it hasn't been made for years now. And another plus with the 3G versus the 1G and 2G is that you've got more room than those models to really craft a nice interior with electronics/gadgets or anything else you can think of. Accept the fact that most mini-vans are faster nowadays than the 3G and enjoy the car within the capabilities and knowledge of your budget.

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
Accept the fact that most mini-vans are faster nowadays than the 3G and enjoy the car within the capabilities and knowledge of your budget.
:lol:

you shouldn't be racing anyways!!

we do have a show and shine section here... if you can't make it go fast, at least make it look nice!

·
Registered
166 Posts
welcome,

First and foremost, if you read the stickies at the top then you would know that this answer is covered entirely!

Second, you would have a better time trying to do a Evo swap and honestly, if your so interested in AWD why not just trade in and get AWD it will be cheaper and no heartache.

the people that do go for the AWD setup on our cars have done extensive research and have a strong knowledge base of custom mechanics if your looking for power to fun ratio then go F/I and chase honda's down the track theres always ricers with their "bling'n" rides stupid ricer - YouTube <<< one of my favorites haha

these cars do have potential. Its not the car, its the dedication that makes the difference. Does FWD suck, yes! but it's still fun and that feeling you'll get when you are running fenders with an STI on a 40 roll is irreplacible!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Sam that 5th paragraph was priceless!

As for the original question, about putting a vr-4 into an Eclipse- like Jaloosk said, yes it's possible. Anything's possible. Many people think engine swaps are easy... "just swap a faster motor in". Sure, "just". Yet those same people have never pulled a motor in their life, let alone swapping out a different one.

But yes, welcome to the site. Honestly I'd say fix up your car, sell it, and use the $$ to buy one that has the engine/color/interior/etc you really want. *Especially* if this is your only car that you need to drive to get to work/school/etc.

Oh to add to the "what is this car good for" list- I think it's a fun car to drive (not race, drive). :)

·
2003 GTS
32 Posts
Sam that 5th paragraph was priceless!

Oh to add to the "what is this car good for" list- I think it's a fun car to drive (not race, drive). :)
Well stated!

It hurts my pride to here our beloved 3Gs could be outran by a mini-van.
The 3G is truly more of a cruiser than a racer. The 2G is more customizable.
If you want raw speed, step back to a 2G. I lost mine in a fire recently. I am looking into getting another one. I miss my beloved 2G. I love my 3G.

·
MAAAAADDDDD
234 Posts
Bump. Im tackling a twin build on mine. Removing the A/C box on the passenger side to free up room, and going to fabricate my own wall box for extra space. Going for bigger turbos to compensate for the low top end power. Hopefully drag the power band past 6500. Trying to make full potential of the engine. Plus loadsssss of custom supporting mods (cams, valves, pistons, crank work, rods, head mill, and pretty much the whole lot.) I know it may be pointless. But I AM GOING TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. Ill be starting a build thread and everything. But this will be wayyyy over some people's heads. And yes. Ive read everything. But screw a super. I want some more top end!

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,038 Posts
Bump. Im tackling a twin build on mine. Removing the A/C box on the passenger side to free up room, and going to fabricate my own wall box for extra space. Going for bigger turbos to compensate for the low top end power. Hopefully drag the power band past 6500. Trying to make full potential of the engine. Plus loadsssss of custom supporting mods (cams, valves, pistons, crank work, rods, head mill, and pretty much the whole lot.) I know it may be pointless. But I AM GOING TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. Ill be starting a build thread and everything. But this will be wayyyy over some people's heads. And yes. Ive read everything. But screw a super. I want some more top end!
ok

·
MAAAAADDDDD
234 Posts
Hey. Its worth a shot! I feel like i have a good plan set up to tackle it. And a couple local shops really interested in it. But 700 is a long shot. Pix will happen. Im just starting on this endeavour... wish me luck. Any suggestions are gladly accepted.

·
MAAAAADDDDD
234 Posts
First thing will be cutting the firewall on the parts car for exact measurements. The prepping everything so i can just cut and weld amd have a good mock up for final on my car

1 - 19 of 19 Posts