Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
R.i.p Silverside
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks similar to the diamante manifold, shaped like the gts manifold, and looks like it will accomodate the dia throttle body with proper spacing. Btw 6g72 73 74 share the same upper manifold gasket. Thoughts?

·
Boobs!? WHERE!?!
1,030 Posts
I've never seen one... The 6G73... That's the 2.5 in the strats right?

·
Crazy?
713 Posts
6g73 came in early galants and chrysler cloud cars ( stratus, cirrus, avenger, sebring). they had a gouple of different style intakes. pictures help. they are interchangable. I have one style of intake from one of them but i have not had time to experiment with it.

·
2011's are gay
4,791 Posts
why? people with 73's upgrade to our manifolds, i think. anyways, why not just go with a diamante? bigger runners tb opening and plenum

·
R.i.p Silverside
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
possibly a chance for a manifold swap without space issues using dia tb. I'll be at the junkyard tommorow and will take measurements and pictures for those who aren't familiar.

·
R.i.p Silverside
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why? people with 73's upgrade to our manifolds, i think. anyways, why not just go with a diamante? bigger runners tb opening and plenum
After you see the picture and the measurements you'll understand why I brought it up. :)

·
Crazy?
713 Posts
The 6g73 is the 3.0 v6 but its like 160hp you dont want to swap to a smaller mani's
The 6g73 is actually a 168 chp 2.5l v6. one of the manis I heard flows well. I think they were on Avengers and Sebrings. The ones on the Stratus and Cirrus are really flat, I would imagine it doesn't flow well on larger displacement engines.

·
Angry Gorilla
712 Posts
sorry to bring this up from two months ago, but I do have first hand knowledge on this. The 2.5 liter 6g73 manifold is smaller than our 6g72 and the throttle body is way smaller. I just worked on my old 1999 Dodge Avenger (gave to my sister) over the weekend and you can tell the difference right away. I did have them pulled next to each other with both their hoods up though.

White Knight you are right there are a lot of 6g72 manifold swaps for the 6g73. I did a manifold swap on the Avenger to the diamante manifold and it was so much bigger it had a hard time starting in the real cold. But the flow was much greater in the upper rpms. I had to turn up my safc for more fuel when I had it re-tuned. This gave it a much harder pull on the upper end.

stay away from the 6g73 manifold on the 6g72/6g74, just my 2 cents...

·
Senior Dangler
2,093 Posts
wouldnt it technically push the rpm band lower? more power down south less flow up top. If you were looking for low end power that would make the swap worth something

·
Registered
24 Posts
The 6g73 manifold on my 6g72 uses the same gaskets as the 6g72. I can't make a knowledgable comment on power gains. If it is a fitment oriented idea then porting the runners for both upper and lower plenums and some matching gaskets should retain the top end power as far as larger displacement engines go.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
wouldnt it technically push the rpm band lower? more power down south less flow up top. If you were looking for low end power that would make the swap worth something
Esp I think you're seeing things too black and white. Low flow does NOT ALWAYS mean more torque. A tighter intake path will do it yes, but if low flow meant more torque then everyone would be filling runners. Torque is created by high velocity pressure pulses bouncing back and forth down your runners then ramming into the cylinder once your valve opens, making a charging effect that leads to really high compression. However, just because the manifold flows less, doesn't mean it aides in this concept.

·
Senior Dangler
2,093 Posts
The manifold is the same as the diamante manifold, just small. There is better flow (due to shape) however there is less flow due to runner size. The air will flow faster and better due to the shape, but there will not be the same volume (aiding in speed as well) because it is smaller/tighter. Forget rpm. look at CFM. It wil be optimized for a lower cfm (aka smaller engine higher rpm, larger engine lower rpm). When mr. civic ports his head and intake, he is basically optimizing it for a higher CFM, which in his case he can only acheive by revving higher. If he made it smaller it would be the opposite, or low end. Engine size and RPM only matter in the combonation of what CFM the engine can flow. (look at turbo sizes. Larger turbos flow higher cfm, but the little engines have to rev higher/lag a bit to get it spooled to flow enough CFM to spool/make the power they want)

I'm just going by a compilation of all the theory i've read and physics I understand. I didn't mean to sound so definitive. It would definitely need to be dynod (would love to see that..), but following the theory I've read would make sense

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Yeah, I think the line is a bit more obscure then you're making it out to be, that's all I'm saying. :) There is a point in which the lesser volume starts to really choke the engine overall. I just look at BJ's engine, using PNPed 75 heads and it still makes massive torque down low.

·
Crazy?
713 Posts
I think I will continue to work towards getting my 75 uim manifold installed, now that I am waiting for parts to come for my bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts